Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

If you want the top tier Lippert 6 point Level Up, you have to have an authorized dealer (of which there are few) install the system. Lippert will also do it right at their factory. What they absolutely will not do is sell you the parts to do the job yourself. To have the 6 point level up installed, they will re-use your existing front hydraulic landing gear, swap out your pump for a larger capacity unit, and add the rear 4 jacks. When I shopped this on my last rig my best price was 3600 from camping world in PA. (This included a Good Sam discount.) However, my rig did NOT have the brackets for the rear 4 jacks already installed so much welding and aligning needed to be done. You already having the brackets in place should reduce the cost by quite a bit.

The next best thing is the Big Foot 6 point hydraulic system. They will sell you the system if you want to do it yourself. On the plus side, you can install it yourself and it's an easier install as each of the six legs has it's own pump and tank. So, less hydraulic lines to run. Just low voltage wiring. The down side is that you can't reuse your existing front legs, so the cost is a bit higher. However, doing the job yourself would negate the price difference.

taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #12

I like the units that have the pump at the jack. It just looks more modular and self contained along with reducing the possibility of leaking fluid. The system looks to be more expensive but would be much easier to install. If I could get the bigfoot system and reuse my present landing gear then it should reduce the cost but it is still expensive, more expensive than the Lippert installed from the last quote I got ~4000.00.

Currently I am full-time during the week for work and go home on the weekends. Since it is COLD in MO right now I am not going camping so it will be a couple of months before I would even move it again so I do have some time. I keep thinking that with how often I go camping it may not be worth it.

Question for those who have a leveling system. Does it make the camper more stable?

I have heard a couple of people talking about a rally. Are there any in the spring and if so where?

DuckCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #13

The Big Foot system is not compatible with your current front legs and they have to be replaced if you go that route. I asked them about this and they told me that all six legs must be theirs to make the system work correctly.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

We have the six point system installed in our Cedar Creek 29IK, it's a real time saver when setting up. But I have found that the coach is still bouncy without rear stabilizers on the back end.
The reason I bring this up is that they where missing from my coach when I took delivery although it was charged on my invoice $, also missing was a cable real..
Questions raised to my dealer where answered by a red faced "ahhh well get that on order". so we put two months of travel before the rear jacks where installed, man what a difference, she's rock solid now. I also use the king pin stabilizer as well..
Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCamper View Post
I like the units that have the pump at the jack. It just looks more modular and self contained along with reducing the possibility of leaking fluid. The system looks to be more expensive but would be much easier to install. If I could get the bigfoot system and reuse my present landing gear then it should reduce the cost but it is still expensive, more expensive than the Lippert installed from the last quote I got ~4000.00.

Currently I am full-time during the week for work and go home on the weekends. Since it is COLD in MO right now I am not going camping so it will be a couple of months before I would even move it again so I do have some time. I keep thinking that with how often I go camping it may not be worth it.

Question for those who have a leveling system. Does it make the camper more stable?

I have heard a couple of people talking about a rally. Are there any in the spring and if so where?
I used to have just the drop legs and rear electrical stab jacks. 1) the units levels within about 2mins. I timed it. 2) the jacks are all set to a 15 degree offset for stabilization. I would have jumped on that system last year, but they weren't in production yet. Being my unit is 31 feet they installed the 4 point only and left my electric jack in the rear, I lower them after it tells me success on the board. they said I wouldn't need it but I have about 8' to the rear. I wanted support. The trailer is rock solid and the doors all stay in place when leveled. From the link provided I clicked on it and read about the system, same as they told me in Goshen. I was calling it Black Cat not Black Jack. I had Jt armstrongs and had motion not much but had a hard time leveling all the time. My wife is lets put it sensitive to being not level. I wish I would have done it sooner. Is it worth it I would say yes in my case but maybe no in someone elses. Pulling pins and setting level got to be a PIA for me, then adding the JT's to stabilize it. Now it's just a button to push. I also don't plan on selling my trailer, this will be the last I buy. So long term as I get older and with health conditions I think it will extend my RV experience. One thing I did read is the capacity is 5000 lbs. each the level up are 7000 lbs each. That is still plenty of power. If you change your own tires you can set in manual and just use one jack to pick up that side. Lippert did it themselves at the rally when they installed new breaks and drums on my unit. The mech told me no problem at all to do. Also I can't see how it would cost more, That system doesn't have a reservoir, a manifold and hose. Plus it would take away room in your front locker I'm sure also much less time to install and repair. It is plus's all around IMO only. It didn't give a price per Ram like the level up has which is around 350.00 or so per Ram. I got the design head mans card for Lippert. If I find it I will PM you the info for him. He is the one that sold me on the 6 pt from ground control 3.0 that I was going to have installed the next day. He called the day before my appointment and had it changed and the extra cost was 200.00 for the hyd from the electrical. I did get a great deal and they did keep there word to me.

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #16

Does anyone know if you can add this to a Signature Lite fifth wheel?
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyEd View Post
Does anyone know if you can add this to a Signature Lite fifth wheel?
There is room for the Lippert system on most 5vers. If there isn't, then the Big Foot system would work. One or the other should def work. I'd contact Lippert or Big Foot with your make and model and I'm sure they would clear it up straight away.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

What system did you install on yours gljurczk? I'm assuming your camper is the 8289ws from your profile which is the same as ours.
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyEd View Post
What system did you install on yours gljurczk? I'm assuming your camper is the 8289ws from your profile which is the same as ours.
I installed the 4 point system bought the 6 point. The reason why is that Lippert said that if a trailer is under 33' long the rear rams would be fighting all the time not enough distance for the auto level between the center jacks and where the rear would have to be mounted. We left the electric rear sabs on that I let down after it finds level. They also had to re enforce the frame, so it wouldn't twist. Alot of cross bracing. They did not have the new Black Jack system in production yet or I would have done that. I timed it with in 2 mins. the board reads success. You can also use it in manual mode to pick up one side to change a tirer. There is also an independent switch just to let the front jacks down for overnighting and not unhooking. If you buy the 3.0 ground which is electric, you have to pull the pins to drop the legs first. It is also very slow, but you still have to becareful not to twist the frame. That is the Rico Titian system. Lipperts doesn't make that system. Would I do it over again in a heart beat. They mount the screen above the the large hatch door. so it's easy to see see and use. I Really didn't lose that much space in my front hatch, because it is all mounted on the back wall about 2' high. The best thing I could have done, and now probably the strongest #8289WS frame. Hope it helps. I posted pictures of the install in Sept. with all the added braces, Front legs have a 24" stroke and the rear 17" The 6 point jacks are rated at 7000 lbs each the Black jack are rated for 5000 lbs each. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to try and help you...... PS: Also read post #15 this thread.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #20

Also forgot to mention that the jacks are set at a 15 degree angle all of them, so it make stabilization of unit easy. I have tried both with the sabs down in the back and up, can't really tell the difference. The bathroom door stays where you leave it, now that's level INMO. If someone is going to weld on your frame have the factory do it, THEN THEY OWN IT.

Tags
leveling