Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #1

A/C soft starter

I’ve been considering installing one of these on my 15k BTU AC Dometic unit. I’m wondering if anyone has installed one, what brand, if it has really been worth it, how much it cost, and where you got it.

Also, found this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-A-C-Star...Y/113142143174) on eBay and I’m hoping someone has tried this or has some input. It’s only about $100 compared to $250-300.

Thanks for this think-tank community!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #2

I don’t know... I read the customer reviews and after you get thru the first page the sellers attitude towards people who have issues is very non-professional. Basically calls buyers with problems idiots. Not sure there is any customer service. Can’t be making much money on each unit thus no customer service. I guess you get what you pay for. I would not buy from them...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #3

If you plan to run your unit off of a 3k to 3500 watt inverter generator and be able to run it in eco mode which saves a lot of gas than a micro start is the way to go. Otherwise if your always plugged in its not needed.
ardakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 AM   #4

Off Rez,
Suprise AZ...my kids live there. Here is my opinion. It may very well work. Yes, you may save $150 +/-. But yes, you may be buying a new AC. I went with https://networkrv.com/softstartrv/ and it included the "install" kit. I'm not a big chance taker. With that said, the electronics to do this are inexpensive. There, I've gone around in a circle. So, "my" suggestion, buy a few less beers, sodas, cigs, or whatever and go with the softstartrv or the one from Microair.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I don’t know... I read the customer reviews and after you get thru the first page the sellers attitude towards people who have issues is very non-professional. Basically calls buyers with problems idiots. Not sure there is any customer service. Can’t be making much money on each unit thus no customer service. I guess you get what you pay for. I would not buy from them...
Yeah, his responses are not professional in some cases. But overall he's got good reviews on the product. But if it doesn't work then he's probably not going to help.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Rez View Post
Yeah, his responses are not professional in some cases. But overall he's got good reviews on the product. But if it doesn't work then he's probably not going to help.
You are right..you pay your money, you take your chances..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtci2006 View Post
Off Rez,
Suprise AZ...my kids live there. Here is my opinion. It may very well work. Yes, you may save $150 +/-. But yes, you may be buying a new AC. I went with https://networkrv.com/softstartrv/ and it included the "install" kit. I'm not a big chance taker. With that said, the electronics to do this are inexpensive. There, I've gone around in a circle. So, "my" suggestion, buy a few less beers, sodas, cigs, or whatever and go with the softstartrv or the one from Microair.
I'm not much of a risk taker either but some things I have jumped on have turned out Ok and so I'm always tempted to try the "road less traveled". At one time Microair was probably a risky option too but enough people really liked it and It's a trusted item now. I should probably just pay up but my cheap bone is aching!!

Stop by when you're in town!
Off Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #8

Caution, this appears to be a hard start device dressed up as a soft start unit.
The micro air unit has four stages of starting that gently get the compressor up to speed - the hard start hits the compressor windings with a momentary spike in power.
Both will reduce the time it takes to get the compressor up to speed but only one can extend the compressor life. A hard start is a bandaid on a broken leg. Just my 25 years HVAC experience.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Caution, this appears to be a hard start device dressed up as a soft start unit.
The micro air unit has four stages of starting that gently get the compressor up to speed - the hard start hits the compressor windings with a momentary spike in power.
Both will reduce the time it takes to get the compressor up to speed but only one can extend the compressor life. A hard start is a bandaid on a broken leg. Just my 25 years HVAC experience.
Aaaaand that's why I bring it to the forum. Shared knowledge and understanding so that I don't have to be an expert in EVERYTHING. Thank you! I was wondering if this eBay unit had any built in protections or if it was just a timer delay. I don't need to void my Extended Warranty by placing a ticking time bomb in my A\C.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
FLY4FUN

"Soft Start"...

Here is a key statement in the AD (in my opinion/experience, FWIW): "Have you ever tried to start your A/C on a hot day with a generator that, theoretically, should run your A/C?" (Underline added for emphasis!)

The real world fact is that it takes a certain output generator to effectively, dependably & consistently start and run an RV AC. It just does. If you have an AC that will "marginally" operate your generator (...on cooler days, only trips overload occasionally, for example), adding a "hard start capacitor" or, even better, this Ebay unit or, best, the Microair will probably help, often significantly. In my experience & in informal interviews with fellow boondockers, trying to "patch in" methods & equipment to operate with an otherwise underpowered-for-mission generator is like trying to teach a pig to sing. Again, just my opinion and experience (over 50 years of RV'ing) -- YMMV.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

I have installed many hard start kits on AC both on stick houses and RVs. I have never installed one to increase compressor life but rather to shorten the start cycle when less then optimum voltage is present (which may increase compressor life I don't know). I do like the idea behind the Microair but don't feel it is cost effective for my RV application.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

I will be ordering from Microaur shortly. I have done a lot of research and other campers said go for the quality one. There are discounts of around 25.00 I called them directly. Good luck

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
Here is a key statement in the AD (in my opinion/experience, FWIW): "Have you ever tried to start your A/C on a hot day with a generator that, theoretically, should run your A/C?" (Underline added for emphasis!)

The real world fact is that it takes a certain output generator to effectively, dependably & consistently start and run an RV AC. It just does. If you have an AC that will "marginally" operate your generator (...on cooler days, only trips overload occasionally, for example), adding a "hard start capacitor" or, even better, this Ebay unit or, best, the Microair will probably help, often significantly. In my experience & in informal interviews with fellow boondockers, trying to "patch in" methods & equipment to operate with an otherwise underpowered-for-mission generator is like trying to teach a pig to sing. Again, just my opinion and experience (over 50 years of RV'ing) -- YMMV.
So, in your opinion, would my Westinghouse 2200/1800 inv gen get my a/c running assuming I reduced or eliminated all other loads? Thanks
Old 01-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
So, in your opinion, would my Westinghouse 2200/1800 inv gen get my a/c running assuming I reduced or eliminated all other loads? Thanks
My 15k btu AC once started will consume about 12A. That is 1440W. My converter charging the battery would take it over the edge because it draws another 3-4A so you would have to isolate the AC to make it work assuming the generator is properly rated (they are not all correct) and that is maxed out. You still have to manage startup.

I use a 3400w generator to run the AC. Startup will be much higher than 1440w but under 3000w without the soft start.

A few folks here have 1 2000w honda doing their AC. I will let them share their experiences but all I have seen had a micro air easy start to get there. I dont use my 2000w Yamaha to run the AC.

You may want to pick up a second inverter to parallel depending on if you want to run more than just the AC. Seems like you are asking a lot from it. Also keep in mind it may work at sea level or in mild heat but may leave you hanging...I am always power hungry anyway so I just throw more power at it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #15

And this thread leads me to all the YT videos of people starting 13.5k AC units on a 2000W inverter generator. I'm guessing doing this will shorten the life of the generator and/or the compressor motor.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
My 15k btu AC once started will consume about 12A. That is 1440W. My converter charging the battery would take it over the edge because it draws another 3-4A so you would have to isolate the AC to make it work assuming the generator is properly rated (they are not all correct) and that is maxed out. You still have to manage startup.

I use a 3400w generator to run the AC. Startup will be much higher than 1440w but under 3000w without the soft start.

I have not checked but I highly doubt using a soft start from micro air it takes much more than 1500 watts to start my a/c it only kicks up to about half throttle to start my AC then settles in about a quarter throttle to run it. I run a 3000 watt firman inverter gen with a 13.5k AC.
ardakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #17
Junior Old Fart

Dug into the website for the RV A/C Starter. It's not a true soft start, nor is it a "hard start" capacitor.

To quote from the website "time control circuit delays the fan-motor for a few seconds, giving the compressor enough time to start up and run with full speed before the fan motor starts. "

Easy RV AC Starter
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #18

Went with tried & tested

Hey guys, thanks for the great input! I found a good deal on the SoftstartRV by Network RV from eBay seller who took my lowball offer. With this I'm hopeful my gen will start the a/c without overloading even in Arizona. It's really for a place we stay at during the summer that has problems handling our power needs. This won't reduce the load on the circuit except during start so we'll have to see.

I feel this is a safer route than somebody's invention and they appear to have better service, warranty, returns, everything. All tolled I spent an extra $100 for Softstartrv.
Off Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDunltd View Post
Dug into the website for the RV A/C Starter. It's not a true soft start, nor is it a "hard start" capacitor.

To quote from the website "time control circuit delays the fan-motor for a few seconds, giving the compressor enough time to start up and run with full speed before the fan motor starts. "

Easy RV AC Starter
Seriously? If that's all it does, you can just use one of these instead for a lot less money. I got one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/ICM-Controls-...0349224&sr=8-1
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #20
FLY4FUN

Quote:
No. The 2200 will, under best of circumstance (not so hot weather, all other loads off...including the converter), start & run the 15 at times. At others you'll experience a trip/overload. Again, it's just my opinion, but based on some actual experience & observations -- ACs (compressors) do vary in starting "pull", some may start a bit easier than others. Yours may be one that might function with the 2200/1800. Since you already have the generator, it's maybe worth a try, 'though it can be tough on both the gen and the AC if it doesn't work well. There have been many "hard start" (or, "easy start"?) fixes sold to "us" over the years, from a single/additional "super" capacitor to the relatively complex "assembly" that claims to "adapt" to the AC & significantly reduce starting amperage required. Again, since you already have the gen, it may be worth a few bucks & some trial and, hopefully, no "error". Ultimately, the higher capacity generator is the sure "fix"...and, there are more and more available, seemingly every day...problem(s) come with extra expense, weight, etc.. As some have observed, had God intended us to have nice RVs and other fun stuff, He'd have given us more money!
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, overload, soft start