Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
You want a vent in the black or grey tanks to outside (roof) not only will it remove the stink but AAV will only let air in. You will burp the toilet every time you flush it as that will be the only place the "air, ya, that's it, air," can get out. If it is a full bowl from....well....you know, more than air can burp out onto you. Sounds like fun. Not to hard to poke a vent in the corner thru the roof and hide it. Also, even though an AAV will let air in, it may not when dumping a full tank and allow it to collapse. Hmmm, crushed black,tank, yum. Sorry, plumber humor. Over 30 years in this trade I have seen lots of things tried, some work well, some not so much. If you go tankless, then the above does not apply. Best of luck whichever way you go.
Dale
Interesting. I swear the current camper doesn't have a vent now- I'll have to go up on the roof and check.

But, as you said- it's not hard to poke a hole for the vent. Just makes me nervous (not that I didn't claim a 2' x 10" hole wouldn't be cut in the side of the rig).
Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #42

other option.....go shop for a toy hauler with two bathrooms...they do make them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #43
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
other option.....go shop for a toy hauler with two bathrooms...they do make them.

Oh trust me- we are doing that, too.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Interesting. I swear the current camper doesn't have a vent now- I'll have to go up on the roof and check.

But, as you said- it's not hard to poke a hole for the vent. Just makes me nervous (not that I didn't claim a 2' x 10" hole wouldn't be cut in the side of the rig).
It is FR product so, 90 % sure there is one, well 2, one for each tank. They have a cover on them and look like an attic vent. They are needed to allow the tanks to maintain atmospheric pressure as they are filling and emptying. Otherwise they can puff up while filling and collapse when emptying. There Is usually an AAV at the traps for the kitchen and bath sinks. They will allow are in to protect the trap. If they are letting air out, well that adds new and interesting smells to you rig.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
If they are letting air out, well that adds new and interesting smells to you rig.
No kidding! Ours failed a long while back and the smell was atrocious! Worse yet- I broke it while trying to remove it. What was left, I couldn't get out. You've got to be right, because I think I Duck taped a ziploc over it and didn't have any venting issues.

So ok- venting the tank and venting the bathroom itself are things I didn't consider. That's exactly what I was hoping to get out of this post!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #46

A second bath in an RV? Why? Just how far do you have to walk to get to the "main" bath? How big is the crowd it has to serve? Are you trying to conform to local potty parity ordinances?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
A second bath in an RV? Why? Just how far do you have to walk to get to the "main" bath? How big is the crowd it has to serve? Are you trying to conform to local potty parity ordinances?
Not how far. It's how many. I fight with family for toilet time....
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #48

We did not get a fuel station in our Puma (It was optional so it gave a nice large area underneath for a holding tank). It was braced ( the frame) for a fuel tank so......... Also Being a Toyhauler plenty of room to run a vent line through the roof. The old campers had one holding tank black and grey water together (unless there is a law) the two together should not be a problem as long as it is call black water.

I would say that it is doable although we did not do it..

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #49

Quote:

Many of today's camper have a bath and a half. I have even seen them with two full baths..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #50

I'll add not to rely on the walls to contain your holding tank. Those usually can't take much pressure. Therefore, you'll need to build some sort of cage around the tank.

If someone already wrote this, sorry. I must have missed it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #51
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I'll add not to rely on the walls to contain your holding tank. Those usually can't take much pressure. Therefore, you'll need to build some sort of cage around the tank.

Nope, that’s a new one and good information! I figured I would frame it out with 2x4s or whatever.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #52
Always Learning

Quote:

We have a bath and a half now. It’s really nice not having the kids in our bathroom all of the time and especially nice that *my* bathroom isn’t stunk up by the 3-5 year old who is still learning to aim.

As well, it’s nice when the in-laws are staying with us. It keeps the extra clutter out of my bathroom.

Like anything else, it’s all about personal preference. My wife and I decided a 1/2 bath is a “must have”.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post

I did two posts ago plenty of room to put a holding tank in the frame rails if you do not get a fuel station. or probably even if you do.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #54
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We did not get a fuel station in our Puma (It was optional so it gave a nice large area underneath for a holding tank). It was braced ( the frame) for a fuel tank so......... Also Being a Toyhauler plenty of room to run a vent line through the roof. The old campers had one holding tank black and grey water together (unless there is a law) the two together should not be a problem as long as it is call black water.

I would say that it is doable although we did not do it..

Interesting thought. I don’t know why I’m hesitant to consider it below the floor. Just felt like more work for some reason.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
Skip the black tank altogether and install a self-contained composting toilet:

Nature's Head Composting Toilets -- The Official Site: RVs & Campers
Quote:
I’m OK with the smaller size. It’s just the kids who use this bathroom and right now on 42g, we got about 13 days between dumpings.
Quote:
Yeah, I still have mixed feelings on that.

Does seem like it would solve the tank part, though.
The Wynns used a composting toilet in their RV for several years and loved it. you may want to hit their site and read about their experiences. If I were going to add a 1/2 bath to my RV, this is the only way I would go.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Interesting thought. I don’t know why I’m hesitant to consider it below the floor. Just felt like more work for some reason.
Not really Toyhaulers other than a possible fuel station have almost nothing under the floor behind the axles other than frame. Drop the underbelly and see The frame inner supports may need to be beefed up a little

If you have a generator a fuel station is nice though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #57

Doug just our findings on toyhaulers. It was great to have the extra bedroom (toyroom/garage) But.................... you loose a lot of living space. Just our findings. So the DW wanted to go back to a conventional layout.

Ours slept 10 easily but as the boys got older & their own families and open 5th wheel front bathroom and a small living area was a sore subject with the DW.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #58
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Doug just our findings on toyhaulers. It was great to have the extra bedroom (toyroom/garage) But.................... you loose a lot of living space. Just our findings. So the DW wanted to go back to a conventional layout.

I honestly think I’m the one that is stressing that loss. The kids right now have something like a 9’x14’ room that is sideways (dual opposing slides). If we go to a 12-13’ garage for an equivalent amount of space, that’ll eat into the living area more.

My issue with traditional floorplans is the lack of carrying capacity. I know already that we carry about 4,300 lbs of stuff (inc water). We need to slim that down (a lot!), but getting into the sub-3,000 lbs range seems unreasonable to me for us.

I was looking at VanLeigh trailers and while it didn’t have a bunkhouse, it was 40’ and right about 2,000 lbs of advertised CCC. That’s crazy to me.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #59

Many have strongly suggested venting your new black tank. An "insta-vent" will let air in, but it won't let air escape. You need to vent.

If you are concerned about penetrating your roof (reasonable enough concern), you can vent high on the sidewall using one of these...see image below.
(This gray-tank vent is for my shower...on the street side. I have a similar gray-tank vent on the curb side for my kitchen plumbing.)

One of these will allow your new black tank/macerator tank to "exhaust" air as effluent comes in to displace it. And it will admit air into the holding tank when you dump (or pump) it. This will help ensure a good "dump".

This is INFERIOR to a roof vent for only one reason. If mounted on the curbside, it will vent odor into your outdoor living space. Of course, a roof vent doesn't guarantee "odorless" venting except when the wind is blowing the right way, but you do have a better chance of less odor with a roof vent. Either vent will emit fewer noticeable odors if mounted on the street-side, and the sidewall vent might actually perform better in that case, because the wind will need to move the foul odors around the RV...not just over the roof.

The advantage of this gray-tank vent is obvious. It's easier to mount and to ensure that it's water-tight, and it can be done from a ladder without getting on the roof. Furthermore, the roofs on larger RVs are "thick" with insulation and structure, and you may encounter obstructions and wiring. Sidewalls can be less challenging. But a a roof vent isn't that hard to install properly either. Offered as an option that might be helpful (or not).

P.S. These things help with tank odor: https://smile.amazon.com/Walex-BIO-1...tank+treatment
But, if you have a macerator toilet, these will just get pumped away each time you run the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	152647  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #60

By the way, the positioning of my shower gray-tank vent is stupid. It should be much higher. If there is much water in my gray tank, whenever I make a sharp right-hand turn, water comes out if the vent. Poor design.

It's not as if I'm dumping sewage onto the road, but anyone following me would be justified to wonder. Therefore, I always dump all but a couple gallons of gray-water before I hit the road.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler