Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Added 12v Ceiling Fan in Bedroom

Good evening, All!

Got some project time on the TT this weekend, and one project that I completed was the installation of a 12v ceiling fan over the master bed.

The fan is on this page: 12 Volt Interior Exterior Fish House Lights, Accessories, Battery parts, Fans and Ceiling Fans, LED Lite , about 3/4 of the way down. It's a four blade, 36 inch fan.

I had to remove a 12v ceiling light (that was difficult for either of us to reach anyway). This light will be replaced by individual 12v lights over each isle, which we will BOTH be able to reach. Had to run wiremold to the fan, from the two-speed switch, for both pos and neg legs of the circuit. Installed the control switch on DW's side of the bed (keeps her happy, plus I have control of the Xantrex i the same location on my side of the bed). Took the power from the back of a previously installed 12v automotive receptical, prevviously installed for charging cell phones, cameras, etc.

The fan is two-speed and reversable. On low speed, it draws 0.4 to 0.5 amps and on high speed 0.9 to 1.0 amps, in either direction, so running it all night to make sleep more comfortable really shouldn't impact my 220AH battery bank badly, and the solar should be able to recharge anything that I use the next day.

A couple of photos of the installation below. Photo #1 is the fan mounted on the ceiliing. Photo #2 shows the mounting of the two-speed switch. Not much more to show, but if anyone wants any additional details, ask away!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
camping

very nice mod!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

ive wanted to do that to just havent figured out where i would get the power source from. i doubt i could wire into an existing light in the bedroom. too much for the wires?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

I thought so, besides, you would still need to run wires for the speed control. I wire-nutted and taped the wires from the light that I removed, and tucked them back up into the hole in the ceiling that they came out of.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Nice Job FI,
Its unfortunate the unit does not come with a wireless remote with thermo like its AC counterparts do!

What I'm waiting for is a 12VDC Version of the Dyson Air Multiplyer. There too cost prohibitive right now but I think we can all apreciate the applications of a simple ring that blows air without fear of spinning blades.

PS. I'm a married man and having spinning fan blades above the bead is a sure fire way to a head injury for me .
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Lol
Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

Made a "minor" modification to this modification, and finished the project today.

The wire-mold was held on with double-face tape, which had been coming loose in different spots, every few days. Today, I "re-stuck" it, plus added a few screw from inside the wiremold to secure it in place.

I also installed the two 12v LED ceiling lights on both sides of the bed, to replace the one light that the ceiling fan replaced. We now each have a light that we can reach without climbing on the bed, plus ti now lights-up the inside of the two bedside wardrobes.

Tags
12 volt, bed, fan