Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Added Cabinet Doors

Well, the weather was nice today, so I got a mod done today.

Picture #1
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/269...44062658usnftD

Picture #2
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/264...44062658FBvgAm

This was easy to do. I used a roto tool to cut out the paneling, and used 1"x2" to frame in behind. It took about 90min from start to finish.

We can now get to the extra towels under the dinnette seat without having to raise the cushion. I did the same thing under the other seat for access to the tool box.

The only pain in the rear part about this project was ordering the doors. I gave the door size to the dealer, and they were told by Forrest River that they did not have a door in this size. Well, this is the same door size used on the bathroom vanity. I took a picture of the door with a tape measure held up to it for sizing. Emailed the picture to the dealer, who sent it to Forrest River. Six weeks later I had my two doors. At least they came with the hinges and knobs already mounted.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #2

Looks nice - Good job!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #3

Very nice job you did there, Chuck.

It's too bad you had to wait so long for the doors. I would have been pulling my hair out, wanting to do the mod.
Usually, when I set my mine on a project, it has to be completed pretty quick....LOL
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #4

Looks good indeed!

I am working on similar mods, and didn't realize that you could order doors from the factory, so was intending to make my own to match. Now you've got me thinking there might be an easier way.... seems like quite the lead time on those though.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #5

Well, I took a shot in the dark on being able to get them. From what I know about RV builders and their "rep" on parts, I was counting on it taking a long time to get them. Seems FR 1st shipped them "piggy back" in a trailer being sent to the dealer. Problem was, the trailer they put them in was not headed to my dealer. They had to track down the doors or reorder them. Not sure which they did, but I got them just the same. Now, I have to go pick up my one replacment chrome wheel cover that has now come in. It was ordered withthe doors. We lost one on Vacation in Oct and have been rolling around with one white wheel ever since.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
squire

I ordered 3 doors last week from the factory to be used on a computer desk I plan to build.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #7

squire,

Was this order placed direct, or thru your dealer?
Was an ETA given on delivery?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
squire

I ordered direct from Forrest River. 3 doors with hardware and shipping came to $86.93. No ETA but others over on the "Cardinal Club" has fast delivery time. When you call Forrest River, they will direct you to the parts department for your brand of rv.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
squire

Just received my doors . UPS just dropped them off. 3 doors, 3 handles, and six hinges. No escutcheons (backing plates for the handles), I will call Kyle tomorrow and see if he forgot to put them in. Regardless I will order them. Doors look great and it was super fast service.
If you recall, I ordered them last Thursday and he said they would be shipped this week.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #10

Wow, impressive service.
Maybe I'll try to order from the factory rather than self-crafting replacements.
Too cold to go out and figure out which replacement doors I need right now though...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #11

There was a helpful hint posted in another thread related to this, but thought I would respond here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoonan View Post
md 308,
I do not know where in MN you are, but I got my extra drawers from Shorewood RV center. They had a few TT and FW rolled during the tornados last summer. They had or have a bunch of drawers from these. They might match your TT. Give them a call - (800) 784-2505
Mike
mcoonan,

Thanks for the tip!

I checked in my TT, and none of the existing drawer/door sizes will directly fit in the locations I want to add access...

With the recent weather, and work overload (grrrrrr) I haven't gotten back to my mods, but was thinking of looking at other models to see if I could find a fit.
Not sure at this point if I'll even get to complete everything I was hoping for, before the season finally arrives.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #12

Question about this mod. Why did you even have to do the mod? Pretty much every TT I've ever been in has doors already existing for under the seat access. Is this just a particular model issue? Or are there more out there lacking this "basic" type of access?
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Question about this mod. Why did you even have to do the mod? Pretty much every TT I've ever been in has doors already existing for under the seat access. Is this just a particular model issue? Or are there more out there lacking this "basic" type of access?
Many low and mid line trailers do not have this access. A few do, but many do not. It's an issue of cost and weight.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
Many low and mid line trailers do not have this access. A few do, but many do not. It's an issue of cost and weight.
Ya know, now that I think about it... My 1st popup an OLD Hard-side Palomino didn't have those access doors either.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to pjeffreysr1
If my DW ever sees your mods, she will ban me from our new 26BHXL. She nearly had a fit when I started moding our late 2280 pup. But, Oh, the ideas yu have given me. She said when the pup got wasted by a neigbor at 60+ mph, the next rig had to "level it and camp" or else. So what is guy to do if not od to amke use of what you have. Love the mods
pjeffreysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote