Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #21

I like that our outdoor kitchen sink dumps into the black tank... Not only can I use it to prime the black tank so that solids don't stick we can use it to wash dishes when the grey is getting full...

We bought a full-size TT so we DON'T have to use the CG showers so we typically only use the CG ones when we're coming back from the beach all sandy, etc. With the Oxygenics shower head our family of 5 can go about 3 days before our 30 gal. grey is full. If I park the 42 gal. Barker under the TT, we can go another 3 days before I have to dump the tote. Within this time we typically get at least one rainy day, etc. so it gives me something to do when I get bored. I LOVE that I don't have to pack-up the TT to dump.

Our Primetime Tracer 3150 has nearly the same construction and floor plan as the Lacrosse 318 but we're 1,500 lbs. lighter... The Lacrosse has 60 gallon grey capacity, a higher curved ceiling, extra pantry, and heavier doors but IMO those upgrades are not worth the extra weight. With the Tracer I can carry more firewood without exceeding the GCVW of our TV...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #22

Awesome information and thank you!!
j_pancone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #23

I posted in the boondocking forum about a month ago that I am thinking about getting a water bladder for fresh water AND one for carrying grey water! They fold up nice and small so you don't have to have a place to put the big portable tank.

I also would like to put a sprayer in for the toilet that draws from the grey water tank. It could also serve the purpose of 'transferring' some liquid to get that extra day when you need it.

At home we have a 'chili pepper' recirculation pump in the kitchen so we don't waste water waiting for the hot to come from the other end of the house. I want to put a simple valve that would do the same thing on the camper. It would just allow you to send water from the hot line at a faucet, through a hose, and back to the fresh water tank. Almost instant hot shower and you only use a bit of extra pump time!
dragon-roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #24

Added Grey Tank

Dragon Roo!!
I'm fascinated by the idea of pulling from the grey water tank to use at the toilet bowl!!
I would imagine some sort of switchable valve that would go between the fresh water supply and the grey tank with a swing check in line to eliminate siphoning from one to another. This could be run from a pump with a filter to reduce blockage from small particles and food debris triggered off the foot peddle flushing mechanism somehow.
You have inspired me to tear into my brand new rig to engineer this great idea!!
Thank you!!
j_pancone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

I also find this intriguing. Good way to prolong fresh water. I agree it would need a filtration system. The holes in the commode would clogg. Now IF it was made to do this from the start.. I am sure they could find a way to make it work from the factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #26

I thought about a switch over system too, but I just don't want to trust a check valve against bacterial migration in a water system that can often loose pressure for long time periods... like in an RV. Or the fact that kids might open both valves, etc. YMMV

My plan is to use a hand sprayer (like the add on ones) just for the 'gray-spray' and put a shut off valve on the fresh water line to the toilet so that it doesn't run when you open the trap. I have a spare pump that I will mount under the bathroom sink. DW is having warranty-itis so version 0.1 will have a 3/8" poly tube fed down the vent line into the gray tank. I will put a mesh 'sock' on the end and also use the standard inlet strainer on the pump. If that doesn't work I will wait till warranty is up and then plumb into the side of the tank.

I also want to put a valve and fitting in the outdoor shower so that I can pump gray water to a bladder tank in the future.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Why not isolate the toilet out of the fresh system completely? Now I guess if nothing is in the gray you got issues. I am sure the hand sprayer is a good solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #28

I did think about that doc... but decided that I wanted the hand spray anyway for reduced water use.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 AM   #29

Added Grey Tank

So far on our camping trips I have used three 5 gallon pails to empty the grey tank mid trip. We have a 30 gallon grey tank. I have three of the pails that have lids that go on easily, yet seal well. I fill the three pails, put lids on and put them in the back of the truck under the cover. Then next time we drive somewhere I stop at the dump station and poor them in. I only am willing to do this with grey and not black. I like the pails because I stack them when not in use and they take up very little truck bed real estate.
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #30

I fully understand your problem. Our HW27SC only has a 12 gal. grey and 12 gal. black water tank. We only camp in full hookups, unfortunately
this excludes many state and coe parks. We can make 4-5 days on black water tank, but not grey. I am in the process of building a tank system to put in the back of my pickup. Not too big, 20 gal. It can be easily emptied daily if necessary.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #31

cabranch...
When we had the popup it didn't have a gray tank, just the drain outlet on the side and a 20 gal. fresh tank. I set up two Wedco 5 gal. tanks so that they were in series via a hose barb that I placed in the vent hole I drilled out. This allowed one to fill and then overflow into the second. The cap was left open to vent on the second. It was quick to change over the inlet hose from the full one to the partial so that you could dump the full one.

I also had a folding luggage cart that let the kids take the gray water to dump it and they could take an empty fresh water tote to fill and bring back on the cart. 5 gallons out, 5 gallons in, unless it was getting close to when we would leave.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #32

Added Grey Tank

We stay pretty exclusively at state parks just electric sites. PA is adding some full service sites, but as said earlier, full sites are closer together and no natural barriers yet due to them clearing everything to put in full service site.

We find we can go for a four day weekend without dumping. Most of our trips are 2-3 night weekends. We are extending some closer state park stays and commuting to work from there. I am getting a 22 gal tote at the end of the month to assist for longer than 4 day stays.

We use the parks showers and bathroom unless it is in middle of night or emergency.

Everyone camps differently and you must be comfortable.

We do have full hookups during FROG rallies and when traveling to Florida since campgrounds are closer to highway than state parks.

Enjoy your adventure.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank