Old 03-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Added tankless hot water heater Girard 1GWHM

I did a lot of research on this topic before making the switch and there just isn't many threads out there regarding this topic. Now that I've gone through with it, I figured I'd pay it forward for anyone that is interested.

The reviews I have found mostly were along the lines of "I hate it!". But in the end, it seemed that these people didn't understand how they worked, so their actions actually worked against their uneducated attempts to make the situation better. Being that I have a tankless hot water heater in my house for a few years, I figured I would be OK with my purchase since I understood these people's "mistakes". If your whole life you just turn on the hot water and then mix cold into it to get to the desired temperature, than a tankless can seem a lot weird in how it operates.

I had a standard propane/electric 6 gallon heater in my TT. I have a 2015 Coachman Apex 300BHS. If you wanted consecutive showers, well, we all know how well that goes. And not to be a diva, but if I'm traveling the country and enjoying myself for years to come with my TT, I'm not content with taking Navy showers and waiting 20 minutes between them for the next person. I want unlimited hot water and so does the rest of my family if we shower in the TT :P

I ordered a Girard 1GWHM and then the shroud and door separate. Total cost was about $550 through Amazon. Doing the research, I wanted the ability to manually control how hot the water could be and the Girard offers a manual dial over how the Atwood worked.

To mount it, it fits in the same size as the existing water heater. Simply cut and remove it. If you have a working knowledge of how to plumb with Pex, you can replumb what you need in minutes.

In my bathroom is the on/off switch for the heater and also the red reset light. This doesn't use a reset light, so I used the existing wiring to mount the manual heat dial here. This allows me to control how high the BTUs get on the tankless system depending on the outside temperature and/or incoming water temperature. As we know, sometimes it can be 100 out but that well water is still a chilly 54 degrees.

Hooked it all up and worked as expected. The main thing is that you basically don't even use the cold water faucet when taking a shower. If you open the hot water all the way, the temp is warm. If you CLOSE it some, the water gets a lot hotter with little reduction in flow. The idea is that if you reduce the flow, the water spends more time in the manifold and thus picks up more heat.

This is where people screw this up. They dial this back and it gets too hot, then they turn up the cold water. What happens is that the intake into your TT is diverted to the cold side and you now have even less water to the heater. The result is the water gets HOTTER. Eventually, the water hits the high temp cut off and you get really COLD. Then it turns back on....repeat. This is the infamous hot,cold,hot,cold cycles you will read about if you do any research. In the end, it just takes some getting use to and not really having to use the cold water at all or very little.

It's pretty quiet although you can hear it "spool" up as it fires. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I let it run for 15 minutes and I had no fluctuation or changes in the hot water I could detect. I also ran it for 10 minutes off my water tank and water pump without issue. Worked just as well.

I will say that if you are into dry camping, this isn't for you. You will go through more water than normal because you need a minimum GPM flow or it wont fire. I believe its around a 1.25 GPM. So if you are trying to conserve water, forget about it. I usually only hook up to full service campgrounds, so this is no worry for me. Also, I have 2 propane cylinders onboard, so its not a big deal about fuel, either.

Overall, I'm pleased with how easy it went to do it myself and I can't wait to take it out for the seasons. Obviously, it could break down on my next month and I'm signing a different tune! But so far I haven't run into anything that scares me or makes me think I won't get good use out of it.

Hope this helps anyone that might be looking into this.

Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Thank you for taking the time to post both your review and excellent explanation of the operation. I have been looking at the tankless water heaters and find your post very helpful.

MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:07 AM   #3
Great review and advice. Thanks
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #4

Good review,Thks for the information.
hardoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
We also have a tankless and it did take some getting use too
but now that we know how to use it we are happy with it
2012 wildcat sterling 32RL
2013 3500HD DRW Silverado Duramax
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Very nice install and use info. Let us know how it works when you camp out with it.
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping
Great review, thanks for taking the time to do it
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
We have a tank less and we love ours. One of the key factor is the water pressure. We have found the higher the pressure the more room you have for adjusting the water temp. Just my thoughts.
2012 Wildcat 313RE
2004 Chevy 2500HD 4D longbed
"Best money we ever wasted"
DRM796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Originally Posted by DRM796 View Post
We have a tank less and we love ours. One of the key factor is the water pressure. We have found the higher the pressure the more room you have for adjusting the water temp. Just my thoughts.
Without a doubt. In some cases, the pressure is great but the shower and kitchen sink have water flow reducers on them. I don't on mine, but most RV faucets do. So you end up not being able to flow enough GPM even though the water pressure is fantastic. Usually you take apart the nozzle and remove the restrictor washer.
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er
We had some issues at first with defective parts, probably due to the dealer not securing their lot, which resulted in folks stealing the water heater doors and thus leaving the unit exposed to the elements. The Girard folks were extremely helpful, carefully explaining how it worked, just as you have. They had to school the dealer on the repairs, too, or they would never have gotten it fixed. Once it worked, it's been great ever since. Very good explanation - thanks!

2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote

heater, hot water, tank, tankless, water, water heater