Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Adding 120 Electrical outlet to slide out

I have a 2017 Forest River Vibe. A small annoyance is that there is no electrical outlet in the slide out (dinette area). That is where I usually sit to use the computer, etc. Any suggestions how to run electric to an outlet other than having an extension cord laying across the floor from another outlet? Thanks.
TxPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

TxPet, there are 2 possibilities to get an outlet where you want it. I am going with the assumption that an outlet on the side walls of dinette (where your legs go) would be ok. The first way would be to run wiring from another outlet with flexible wire that would move in and out with the slide. It could be ran along side the 12 volt wire that is for the overhead light. Look underneath the slide and you will see what I mean. The second way would be to put a through the wall plug on the outside of the slide and run a short wire to an outlet in the wall underneath the cushion that you sit on. Then when you set up just run an extension cord to the pedestal and plug it in to the outside wall on the slide. If you don’t know exactly what to do get help, this stuff can kill quick! Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Further question

Thanks Jay. Makes sense. I hadn't thought of the overhead light. it is a separate push on/off switch. IF that wire is locatable under the slide could I not tap into that and run to an outlet? Do you think that would work?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Team

The reason that won't work is that the lights are 12 volt DC and a receptacle is 120 volts AC. Also I doubt wire gage is being used is big enough.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

I guess without knowing the floor plan layout of your RV, we have no way to really assist you...

what's your model number?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #6

"TxPet" stated the correct way to do this with running a flexible cord alongside the 12vDC wiring that feeds the light(s) in your slide. This is what I did on my TT. In my front bedroom area there is a 120vAC outlet on each bedside table thing. I tapped into one of these, using a 16 ga. extension cord I ran this along side the frame until I was under the slide area. There is a plastic arm thingy under my slide that the 12vDC wires are attached to so the 12vDC wiring will move in and out with the slide. I ran the extension cord along side this and over to a point under the outside wall of the slide. I drilled hole, maybe 1/2", up through the floor so that it came out at the point where the interior wall of the slide met the floor of the slide. I then used plastic wire way to go up to a new flush mounted electrical box for the 120 vAC outlet. Actually the new outlet is one of those dual 120vAC receptacles with two (2) USB outlets built in. My girl friend does medical transcribing and she like to do her work while we are camping. This outlet allows her to use the 120vAC outlets for her laptop and transcribing machine and she has two (2) USB outlets to charge phones etc. I also painted the wire way a color that closely matches the interior of the slide so it's not too conspicuous.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

Model

My Vibe is a model 268RKS. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #8

Hey Thurman. It sounds like I have a similar set up as you. I understood what you said but was confused with "I then used plastic wire way to go up to a new flush mounted electrical box for the 120 vAC outlet." Not sure what you meant. Also, was it a normal, thin outlet box that you can get from Lowe's or was it one of those (in my opinion) strange RV outlets?
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #9

"Wire Way" is a cover, usually plastic, that gives you a chase to run the wires up the wall to a wall mounted box you can put the outlet/plug in. They can be painted to blend into the wall.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #10

I am lucky to have a 120v outlet right next to where my slide is. I did run an extension cord around the corner to the outlet. Only about a foot and a half of wire shows and that can get tucked under the carpet. I used a 15 foot APPLIANCE cord and ran it under the sofa, through the dinette seating to terminate under the dinette table with a surge suppressor that has 6 outlets plus 2 USB outlets. Can't really see it but it is super handy!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #11

Purchase some cordless extension cords.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #12

TxPet: CincyGus is correct in his description of "wireway". The wireway I used is about 1 1/2" wide, one piece is attached with screws to a ceiling/wall, the wires are ran in it and the cover snaps over the attached piece. There are various sizes of this wireway.I also added a 2nd. A/C unit last year and ran wireway from the A/C unit to the overhead cabinets in the front bedroom. The nice thing about the plastic wireway is that it can be heated and bent to conform to the curve at the front of my TT. The box I used was a normal sized plastic "handy" box for electrical outlets as the outlets them selves are not so thin. Good Luck

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
YES !!! You can find them at your local hardware store right next to the SKY HOOKS !!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
YES !!! You can find them at your local hardware store right next to the SKY HOOKS !!

Wireless power transfer (WPT), wireless power transmission, wireless energy transmission (WET)

I like Power over wireless or POW.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, slide, slide out