Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Site Team

Adding a 12 volt outlet for the wireless camera

As several of us have been using the GE wireless camera from the forum below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ply-33506.html

I decided I wanted to be able to place a camera in the rear window of my camper, and have a power supply to it, so as not to run down the batteries in it. MY nearest 12 volt outlet is above the television a long way from the back window. We discussed this in the above forum.

I was originally going to tap into the 12 volt wires going to one of my reading lamps over the recliner, but this was going to require I mount a 12 volt outlet on the bottom surface of the overhead cabinet. I found a corner to hide it nice, and bought a $12 outlet from Radio Shack for this purpose that had a fuse in the positive wire.

However I found something better in my book. I NEVER use the aisle lights and they are on a switch on my master control panel. The outside aisle light has a burned out bulb, and the inside one I don't use anyhow.

I bought another outlet at Academy Sports in their boat section for $7 that had a 12 volt plug too. I am going to use this plug and a female end that fits my camera (which I got at Radio Shack too) to power the camera, as soon as I get some more wire. I'll post that mod here too.

It worked out well, as I used the wires from the radio shack outlet for the Academy Sports outlet.

What I did was drill a hole over the inside aisle light that is in the corner shelf/cabinet by the door to install a 12 volt outlet. I spliced the outlet wires into the aisle light wires, and am good to go now. I removed the bulb from the aisle light so it won't be on whenever I power the outlet from the master panel switch.

The best advantage, being this aisle light is run to a switch, is I can turn my camera off/on from the switch whenever I am walking out the door, as long as I leave it plugged into the outlet. I won't have to climb over things or raise my blinds to get to the camera. I can also charge/power other low voltage things from this new outlet.

Here are some before/after pics............including me using a multi-tester to make sure I spliced into the correct wires. I wanted a +12 volts DC and not a -12 volts DC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	32057   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	32058   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	32059   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 008 (Medium).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	32060   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	32061  

Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 010 (Medium).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	32062   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet 012 (Medium).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	32063  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

The way I read this, it sounds like you're applying 12v directly to the camera instead of the 5v it was designed for. Is that what you're saying?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
The way I read this, it sounds like you're applying 12v directly to the camera instead of the 5v it was designed for. Is that what you're saying?
No, I haven't made the part that goes to the camera yet. I'll post that mod later. I may just use a cellphone cord that has the end that fits the camera (5 volt input) and plugs into a the 12 volt outlet

I have just made a 12 volt outlet to plug into so far.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Ok. Good. I was confused because you talked about buying the camera plug too. Note that a phone cord with that end on it still might not be 5v.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Ok. Good. I was confused because you talked about buying the camera plug too.
Aaaah, I see where I didn't explain myself fully. Sorry. I left out the part about getting a $2 5 volt regulator to add to the circuit......if I decide to go that route.

As you know, many of the cellphone 12 volt chargers already have the circuitry built into them that will regulate the 12 volt input into 5 volt output (but you have to read each one individually). I believe I already own a 12 volt cellphone charger that went to, I believe, and old Nokia phone I had. I seem to recall it having a type H plug, and was 5 volt like the camera.......as a lot of cellphones are 5 volt. I just have to find it. I don't want to use one of those type cords that is coiled, but need a straight cord.

I could also always buy one of those 12 volt chargers that has a selectable voltage output, but they cost more usually.

I'm looking at all the costs, and variations.......and am open to all suggestions and advice. If you see me doing something incorrect, please point it out.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

I'm sure you saw my post #50 back in your original thread. That's my suggestion. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-33506-5.html
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I'm sure you saw my post #50 back in your original thread. That's my suggestion. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-33506-5.html
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had read everything we have been talking about before. I called myself rereading that entire forum thread a few days ago, looking for your post.......as I knew I had seen it. Evidently I scanned right over it.

Thanks so much for pointing me to it again.