Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Adding a Hitch to Frame

In anyone's humble opinion, is it ok to attach a hitch to the under frame of a bumperless trailer, or is that a possible warranty issue. Being that the manufacturer did not install one.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Possible warranty issue?

No, it IS a warranty issue!

If I may ask what are you wanting to do?

What unit do you have?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

We just purchased the champagne edition 38el. Storing bikes, ladder and chairs and any other bulky items. Just looking for ideas.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
In anyone's humble opinion, is it ok to attach a hitch to the under frame of a bumperless trailer, or is that a possible warranty issue. Being that the manufacturer did not install one.
Not very much Info to go on but just a WAG you have a CC 5th? You will find more GOOD? Info in the CC section,since a CC has a more HD Frame than Most units! Yes it can be Done but since you have (225 Posts) you know there are Lots of Discussion on Rear Hitches! Youroo!! These are Not CC but they are 5W one is Factory!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4481.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	98266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4484.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	98267  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Thanks youroo
Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Possible warranty issue?

No, it IS a warranty issue!

Not accurate....its "potentially" a warranty issue. If you mount something and you have a frame issue on the other end of the trailer, the frame manufacturer who is probably LCI (Lippert), could try and pull that warranty voiding BS but you have the Magnuson Moss warranty act to fall back on. They need to prove what you did caused the failure to void a warranty, at least in the US.

That, and the fact that there are a few, very few other frame manufacturers, makes this a question that can not be answered from the warranty standpoint with a definite yes or no. Forest River or the individual brand is going to tell you no, you can't, you'll void the frame warranty even though they are typically not the ones providing the frame warranty on a travel trailer or 5er. They have to tell you that. It comes from the legal department.

Now get ready for the fear mongering, frame twisting, no you can't at all landslide which is coming.

But you can. Now that you posted your model I am fairly certain its an LCI frame just buy their stuff. They have 3 pages of hitches and cargo platorms/bike racks you can buy as parts. If you use their stuff its going to be hard for them to give you any crap shoulkd a warranty issue come into play.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

No idea what you have for a ladder but this one might be an alternative.

Folding Ladders & Step Ladders, Best Folding Ladder | Folding Ladder System | ladder-guy.com

I carry two gravity recliners and two folding camp chairs.

Table first upside down, the two folders on that with the gravity's over them.

Fits tight and moves very little.

For the bikes a front bumper mount might work well or stow them on the bed on a moving blanket for protection.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Not accurate....its "potentially" a warranty issue. If you mount something and you have a frame issue on the other end of the trailer, the frame manufacturer who is probably LCI (Lippert), could try and pull that warranty voiding BS but you have the Magnuson Moss warranty act to fall back on. They need to prove what you did caused the failure to void a warranty, at least in the US.

That, and the fact that there are a few, very few other frame manufacturers, makes this a question that can not be answered from the warranty standpoint with a definite yes or no. Forest River or the individual brand is going to tell you no, you can't, you'll void the frame warranty even though they are typically not the ones providing the frame warranty on a travel trailer or 5er. They have to tell you that. It comes from the legal department.

Now get ready for the fear mongering, frame twisting, no you can't at all landslide which is coming.

But you can. Now that you posted your model I am fairly certain its an LCI frame just buy their stuff. They have 3 pages of hitches and cargo platorms/bike racks you can buy as parts. If you use their stuff its going to be hard for them to give you any crap shoulkd a warranty issue come into play.
THAT is a good answer. Thank you Mr Havercamp.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

I had one installed on my Aframe, put a Honda 3000 generator on it & drove 1400 miles to key west over a lot of bumpy roads. I am 2nd owner so have no warranty. Get a welder that knows what he is doing. Haven't had any problem so far
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

It's your camper

It's yours be smart, you can do anything to your camper within reason, the warranty is all about them - the camper is for you. Make it yours, make it meet your needs, I would not own anything that I could not modify for my needs
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #11

my 2012 cc 36re came with an 11/4 hitch
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I bought a Cedar Creek in 2009, and before I left the dealer I had a hitch welded onto the new fifth wheel. As another posted its your rig and with some research you should know whether the frame is capable of either a bolt on hitch or a weld on application.
Happy Camping
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #13

A good welding and fab shop will reinforce your frame for you to support the addition of a hitch and loads.

I'm very fortunate, I have a great welding/fab shop that I have used several times in the past 10+ years. If you need a good one, consider Leedom's Fabrication and Welding in Colorado Springs THEY ARE AWESOME. They trued a frame on my first camper that wasn't square, fabricated battery racks on my second, installed a hitch and reinforced the frame on my third and this Spring, I plan on reinforcing the frame for my factory installed hitch on my current camper and widen my UTV trailer so I can put both of my Polaris ACE's side by side on my triple ATV trailer.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Total Bliss, take a look here.................
RV Bike Racks & Receivers for Sale

But keep in mind if you buy and install anything in the link, that is made by the same company who most likely made your frame, you're voiding your warranty, going to cause a catastrophe, and you just can't do it regardless.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #15

All of these warranty worry worts. Years on forums have taught me that warranties are worthless.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn brownlee View Post
It's yours be smart, you can do anything to your camper within reason, the warranty is all about them - the camper is for you. Make it yours, make it meet your needs, I would not own anything that I could not modify for my needs
Amen to that.Own it and use it !!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Total Bliss, take a look here.................
RV Bike Racks & Receivers for Sale

But keep in mind if you buy and install anything in the link, that is made by the same company who most likely made your frame, you're voiding your warranty, going to cause a catastrophe, and you just can't do it regardless.
Mr Havercamp
I have already contacted Lippert with my quandry. Possible answer early this week.
Thanks again
Larry
Old 01-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #18

I added one onto my 5th wheel
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453686092.746240.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  107.6 KB
and pull my jeep behind the camper.
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, hitch