Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Adding a hydraulic leveling system?

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2012 Silverback 31B2 towed with a 2011 F-250 crewcab diesel. I was wondering if it would be worth the money and effort to install a hydraulic leveling system on my fifth wheel. I am not worried about ease of leveling. I am more worried about stabilizing the trailer when it is set up. Want to keep the wife happy. Also has anyone else done this? If so would you recommend it? Thank you for your time.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

If I could afford it I would put in the lippert system. The cost installed at the factory during the rally in Goshen was $4000.00 installed 6 point. Now they tell me it's $4500.00 and that would be still going back to Indiana. Maybe next rally I may do it. I think that it would help with the motion. I'm now putting in the JTSRONGARM. At the show it would have cost me $300 installed now I'm paying $400.00 for the same system. I'm hoping that this will work for us. I have a step support that the OldCoot put in for me. You would be surprised how much that has helped already. He might have a couple for sale yet. If he has one I would buy it a hot flash from him. It really works great. I suggest you send him a PM and start there.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Just an FYI check the Lippert web site for the hydraulic systems. They have a list of certified dealers to install them. The closest on to my is 6 1/2 hrs away and the job will take at least 10hrs to install. For $4460.00.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #4

RamLab2
Just to tease you some more, I got the factory installed option on my Sanibel. I love it! Not only is disconnect/level/reconnect very simple, the trailer is rock solid when set up. My DW is a heavy walker and I can barely feel her going across the floor.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #5

@Popcorn, Is your system a four point or six point hydraulic system? Nice rig by the way. Also how do you like your Trail Air Triglide? Also looking at adding that to my 5er. This being my first %th wheel still learning the ins and outs vs pull behind. Though I know I won't go back.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Mine is the 6 point hydraulic. The control panel is inside the drivers side cargo bay. My main slides are also hydraulic and the two systems work off one reservoir. I like the Triglide. I'm also new to fifth wheels, so I'm still learning. I have trouble getting the air bladder where I want it. Seems like I either have too much air in it, or not enough, but I'm sure it's just a learning curve. I still get a small amount of chucking, but it's a very soft chucking, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #7

Unlevel site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
RamLab2
Just to tease you some more, I got the factory installed option on my Sanibel. I love it! Not only is disconnect/level/reconnect very simple, the trailer is rock solid when set up. My DW is a heavy walker and I can barely feel her going across the floor.
RamLab2, I have a question for you, If you park on an unlevel site and lets say that oneside of your unit wheels are off the ground, can you just block the wheels on that side to take the pressure off the system? I have been told NO by one owner of the same system. ....

Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

gljurczyk
I can't answer your question, as I've not been in that situation yet. All my camping so far has been here in Ohio at state parks. The sites at the parks in Ohio are generally pretty level side to side. Front to back is where they tend to slope. I've had the front end dip fairly low to get level, but have never had the wheels off the ground. Honestly, if I had a site that sloped that much, I'd probably move to another site.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

I don't know that I would want to take a chance on long term maintenance of a hydraulic system. I know they have be using them for yrs on motor homes but the ideal of pressure be left on the seals on hoses especially during storage would add extra maintenance cost in the long run. Now if you upgrade every few yrs it wouldn't be a problem. Now don't get me wrong its a awesome set up. I deal with hydraulics every day and you are told don't leave pressure on systems long term. Your asking for seal or hose leaks if you do. I just prefer the old crank down and leave it there tried and true systems. Its just one less thing to worry with. What happens if you do bust a hose can you still pick front up to hitch height or even be able to unhook from tow vehicle to go get parts?
Kickingupmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Kicking, you can also go to the electrical system I think they have 4 and 6 point.

Tags
hydraulic, leveling