Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Adding a Second AC

Has anyone added a second air conditioner? Our Sandpiper 35Loft is wired for a second one forward. We're considering adding it, but not quite sure where to go next. Back to RV Wholesalers? Any other FR dealer?

Are 13.5 and 15K the only sizes?

There's a duct outlet three inches from the 14-inch fan opening. Will an add-on likely plug in to the existing ducts and thermostat?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Does your rv have a 50 amp plug or is it set up for a 30 amp service? If it is set up for 30 amp you will at least need to change the service cord and possibly the 120 distribution panel to support a 50 amp service to accommodate the 2 a/c's.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

That is correct, if it's not 50 amp now, you'll need to change the primary wiring harness into the camper from the outside service plug to the converter, and also the converter itself will need to be one for 50 amp compatibility. Then, the wiring will need to be connected to another breaker in that new panel box-(if it IS actually already wired FOR ANOTHER UNIT, and not simply wires for another fantastic fan, as mine has. Plus, those units weigh over 500 lbs, not a simple do it yourself job, at all. YES,are only 2 sizes, as you stated, and not much of a difference in flow. If it was me, I'd look at how to make what you have work better, as another poster did on here,Daisy the Boyken, by removing the cover underneath and enlarging the plenum areas to maximize the airflow to the vents. There is a lot of restrictive areas in there that can be opened up for a very significant improvement in airflow. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

O.K., it is late at night, been a bad week so far, but I have to ask. Forgive please. Your post states "ur Sandpiper 35Loft is wired for a second one forward" Then you ask "Will an add-on likely plug in to the existing ducts and thermostat?

Now the hard part, how do you know it is wired for it? If you know it is wired for it, you should also know it takes 50 amp service.

To answer the real question, take it to any dealer to get it added, And yes, 13.5 and 15 are the only sizes available.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Yes, it's a 50-amp rig. I'm not sure even with the work that's suggested it would get much better. It's a BIG rig with 9 people living in it. I think we need the extra cooling power.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

Oh brother what a mess.

Okay the 50 amp deal is true - gotta have it and a separate breaker for the unit - if that is wired you're good to go. Since I am not totally aware of your setup I can only tell you about mine. I added a second unit to the rear of my 315 SE last year. After removing the old vent, cleaning off the roof and making sure to have the wiring down out of the way, it's pretty simple to drop the new unit in place. And btw, I placed two ladders against the RV, my son and I grabbed one end each of the new unit and walked it up to the roof. Might weigh around 100 pounds if that much. You do not need any sealant, there's a gasket that goes between the roof and unit, read the instructions on tightening it down properly to compress the seal, wire it up, put the bezel in place and turn it on. Entire job took us just a bit over an hour and it's the first one that I have ever done.
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

There is a post on here from Daisythe boyken, in Jacksonville Fl, where he took the ceiling cover off, and opened up the VERY restrictive ventilation openings, and says it SIGNIFICANTLY improved his airflow from the AC unit. It would be worth a try to do that first, and see if it helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote