Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PHS79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 414
Adding a step to stairs??

Our camper has 2 exterior doors, the main door into the kitchen and also a door into the bathroom. The main door has a 3 step stair way, from the bottom step to the ground is 11". The bathroom door has a 2 step stair and is 18" from the ground to the step. The rear step is way too much and to me its a safety hazard.

I would like to either add some sort of additional, removable, step the to rear stairs. Or replace the rear stairs with a 3 step unit. Even though a step stool would be a much cheaper way to solve this problem I do not want to use a step stool as we camp at alot of county camp grounds and the sites are never level.

The front stairs have a a tread width of 25 3/4" and the frame width is 27 3/4". The rear stairs have a tread width of 24 1/4 and a frame width of 25 1/4". Both stairs have a riser/step height of 7".

I have looked for replacement 3 step stairs but haven't yet found one with the specs that I need. So does anyone know of an aftermarket "add a step" that will hook or pin on to the stairs? Or a replacement set of stairs that are close to the specs that I need?
__________________

__________________
TT-2013 Passport 3220BH
TV-2004 F150 FX4, not exactly stock...
nights camped:
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Member
 
Gripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 150
I hope this links works. At camping world they have adjustable leg platform steps. Actually on internet sale right know.
Adjustable Leg Platform Step - Stromberg Carlson PA-250 - Steps - Camping World
__________________

__________________
Essex County
Southern most area in Canada
2015 F150 XLT Sport 5 ltr V8
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
Our camper has 2 exterior doors, the main door into the kitchen and also a door into the bathroom. The main door has a 3 step stair way, from the bottom step to the ground is 11". The bathroom door has a 2 step stair and is 18" from the ground to the step. The rear step is way too much and to me its a safety hazard.

I would like to either add some sort of additional, removable, step the to rear stairs. Or replace the rear stairs with a 3 step unit. Even though a step stool would be a much cheaper way to solve this problem I do not want to use a step stool as we camp at alot of county camp grounds and the sites are never level.

The front stairs have a a tread width of 25 3/4" and the frame width is 27 3/4". The rear stairs have a tread width of 24 1/4 and a frame width of 25 1/4". Both stairs have a riser/step height of 7".

I have looked for replacement 3 step stairs but haven't yet found one with the specs that I need. So does anyone know of an aftermarket "add a step" that will hook or pin on to the stairs? Or a replacement set of stairs that are close to the specs that I need?
Lippert has a 3 step unit that is 24" wide with a 7" riser, I think it is 124.00 cost without shipping also check etailer. Google RV ENTRY STEPS, all kinds and dimensions pop up. good luck.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Bail on your steps entirely and break down to buy Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps. They're the best steps I've used.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
I hope this links works. At camping world they have adjustable leg platform steps. Actually on internet sale right know.
Adjustable Leg Platform Step - Stromberg Carlson PA-250 - Steps - Camping World
X2, if Amazon prime free shipping a little less...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
cincia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 106
We went with RV port-a-steps. our dogs had trouble negotiating the trailer steps, we replaced them with RV port-a-steps which are bigger steps, have a deck (2'x2') at the top, and have smaller distance between each step. They just set on top of the older steps (on the top one) and at the bottom have adjustable "legs" to set on the ground. The RV port-a-steps have a handrail and are surprisingly stable. They're not cheap but we consider them well worth the money - much cheaper than a broken leg (I have show dogs and a broken leg will set me back a couple thousand- and no insurance to cover part of it). I don't have any stake in the company - just a very satisfied customer. Cincia
__________________
Lisa and my furry kids - Cesare, Cincia, Dante, Capucine, and Scout
Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Restcure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Bail on your steps entirely and break down to buy Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps. They're the best steps I've used.
After having our trailer lifted 3" the bottom step is too far from the ground. I've looked at the Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps and if we do replace them, those are the front runners. But the trailer mod budget is blown for the year so we'll stick with the little folding step stool for now.
__________________
2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS, Goodyear Endurance LRD, ProPride 3P 1400 hitch
2013 F-150 FX4 7700# GVWR SuperCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 157" WB Max Tow 3.73:1
John, Dawn and Emily... and Bella the camping kitty

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I made an adjustable step extension for a friend of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April's unpainted step.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	113160   Click image for larger version

Name:	April's painted step.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	638.4 KB
ID:	113161  
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PHS79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I made an adjustable step extension for a friend of mine.
That is exactly the kinda thing I was thinking of! Would you happen to have any pictures of the why it hooks to the steps?
__________________
TT-2013 Passport 3220BH
TV-2004 F150 FX4, not exactly stock...
nights camped:
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
That is exactly the kinda thing I was thinking of! Would you happen to have any pictures of the why it hooks to the steps?
The why is so it can be stored if it isn't needed.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.