Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
If you have good cell phone service,,, would that not work ???
Yes it would. And with plans offering unlimited data with or without throttling, that's an excellent option. My comment was pointing out that at a large number of campgrounds I've visited, their WiFi was less than overwhelming.

As long as it's true unlimited data - go for it. I've got a Fire stick that works well, and the price is right. And there's still broadcast TV that the OP was asking about getting an antenna for.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #42

Ill bet that really eats up the data !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #43

I think DISH has a stick you can buy for $35 ???
Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #44

I have unlimited data and do stream some sport events when camping but more times that not I don't have enough service.
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #45

You should be able to use an external antenna hooked up through the outside coax connector (i.e. cable connection). You will need to leave the booster off on the inside connection plate. If the external antenna is powered you will also need a way to get AC power to its power module.

I used an external antenna on our old trailer. I made a mast out of a 10 ft piece of sched 80 PVC that I could break down in two. I also attached an 18 inch piece of PVC to the frame for the mast to slide through. It worked well and picked up about the same number of stations at our most remote campground as our new trailer's King Jack antenna. The nice thing about it is it was an inexpensive solution for the few times we wanted a TV and there was no cable service.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
You should be able to use an external antenna hooked up through the outside coax connector (i.e. cable connection). You will need to leave the booster off on the inside connection plate. If the external antenna is powered you will also need a way to get AC power to its power module.

I used an external antenna on our old trailer. I made a mast out of a 10 ft piece of sched 80 PVC that I could break down in two. I also attached an 18 inch piece of PVC to the frame for the mast to slide through. It worked well and picked up about the same number of stations at our most remote campground as our new trailer's King Jack antenna. The nice thing about it is it was an inexpensive solution for the few times we wanted a TV and there was no cable service.
Thanks. Do you know how far away from towers you are and what antenna you had? I'm thinking the is the route I'm might have to go
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #47
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Where I am at right now out in the middle of nowhere (Elephant Butte, New Mexico), my neighbor has the traditional batwing and I have the King/Jack batwing replacement head on the batwing crank tower.

He is pulling in four stations (2 spanish, 2 PBS)...

I'm getting 16 channels (same ones he is, along with all of the Albuquerque network channels plus METV, H&I, Comet, Charge and a few others)!

By the by...the signals are coming from about 60 miles away!

I also have this signal meter (which is awesome) I bought at Camping World when I purchased the King/Jack:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	168831  
Attached Images

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Where I am at right now out in the middle of nowhere (Elephant Butte, New Mexico), my neighbor has the traditional batwing and I have the King/Jack batwing replacement head on the batwing crank tower.

He is pulling in four stations (2 spanish, 2 PBS)...

I'm getting 16 channels (same ones he is, along with all of the Albuquerque network channels plus METV, H&I, Comet, Charge and a few others)!

By the by...the signals are coming from about 60 miles away!

I also have this signal meter (which is awesome) I bought at Camping World when I purchased the King/Jack:
With mine antenna being stationary is that setup something I can switch mine over to? Won't have to put a hole through my roof?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Thanks. Do you know how far away from towers you are and what antenna you had? I'm thinking the is the route I'm might have to go
I don't remember the model but it was an inexpensive RCA exterior VHF/UHF antenna. It had a kind of trapezoidal wing shape. If I remember correctly it was $15-$20.

I'm not sure how far away the stations were. Our site was on a high spot for the area. Just guessing 40-50 miles away a the crow flies. We could get a couple of the major network stations during the day with some cutting out. We picked up a couple more at night after the sun went down with less dropping. Due to the way our state public broadcasting works we could get all of their stations all of the time. We could also get a couple of local independents (think ION and CW but no news) when I reoriented the antenna. My I guess is these and the PBS stations were were 20-30 miles away.
Not anywhere near perfect but we only want it for when the weather is bad and mostly so we can see the weather forecast.

At the home where we are about 20 miles from the various transmitters it picked up all of our local OTA channels.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #50

This seems like a cheap and easy way worth trying. Thanks for the info
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #51

I hooked up the antenna and got 10 channels. More than ever with the King that came with it. Less than $20 and I don’t have to turn anything.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I hooked up the antenna and got 10 channels. More than ever with the King that came with it. Less than $20 and I don’t have to turn anything.
I am sorry,.. what antenna was that ???
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #53
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
With mine antenna being stationary is that setup something I can switch mine over to? Won't have to put a hole through my roof?
I'm not sure...

I'm thinking that you would have to get the antenna post, but you should be able to use the same hole in the roof to mount a different antenna post.

Maybe someone else that has done it can chime in...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna