Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Adding a Vent Fan

How hard is it to add a fan kit to an existing vent? We have a vent in the bathroom and in the main seating area in our 2011 Shamrock. The one in the seating area does not have a fan, just a very similar vent opening - I would like to add a fan here - anyone else done this?

Stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Pretty easy as long as you add a fan with the same opening size as your current vent opening. And, you can find a convenient 12v source close to the newly installed vent. If no 12v near, you'll have to be a bit more creative by somehow pulling wires thru the wall/ceiling or routing it upward to the vent on an inside wall/ceiling.

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
It's easy. Holes in roof are standard 14" x 14", and all fans are standardized to fit that size opening.
The vent hole you have now may be pre wired for a fan. If there is an interior trim piece, pull it down and check the perimiter of the opening for wiring.
If no wiring, you can tap into the wiring from a nearby 12 volt ceiling light fixture.
Most aftermarket fans will come with everything you need to mount it, except caulk which you'll need to run a bead around the exterior flange and a dab to cover each mounting screw. I'd recomend Dicor Self Leveling Caulk, pretty much the best caulk out there.
Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Its got a factory ceiling vent form the same manufacturer as the bathroom vent, and several models we looked at already had a fan in that spot. Original owners at some point must have had wind catch this one as there is a crack in the back casing. I had the vent covers added at the dealership, not realizing this one didn't even have a powered fan in it. Want to replace it with the same unit with a fan, and there is a 12v light about 18 inches away on the ceiling already, so shouldn't be be an issue tapping into it.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
I just did this last weekend to my camper. Vent began leaking last time we were out so I knew I had to do something with it. Figured if I had to pull the vent to re-seal it, may as well upgrade. I had a vent, no fan, but I knew that 12v wiring passed around the vent to go between two lights. I bought a Fan-tastic Vent model 7350, a roll of buytl tape and a tube of dicor lap sealant from amazon.

The hardest part/most time consuming is removing the old butyl tape from the roof, especially if you have a rubber roof. Be patient, it'll be worth it. I happened to have a nylon trim pry bar set lying around and that was instrumental to the butyl removal.

Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit 4 Pc

Sturdy enough to remove the putty but not sharp enough to cut the roof. I put a 4' x 4' sheet of plywood on the roof to spread my body weight around (i'm not light by any means), and went to work. Once you get the putty off, use mineral spirits to clean the remaining putty residue. Dry fit the vent, connect it temporarily and verify functionality, then put new butyl tape and screwed the vent to the roof and put the dicor around the flange covering each screw. After that, depending on your roof thickness, you may need to cut down the trim piece for the inside.

There's multiple videos on youtube also on how to do it. Not hard, but can be time consuming to get the butyl tape off, but well worth it.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Great, looks like a pretty easy project for a computer geek.... I have been wanting to get up and check the roof - the detailers and techs at the dealership told me it was in great shape, but I have not been up there to check yet.

Now... about this 2-4 inches of snow we are getting in SE Michigan tonight.....

Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Had a fan/vent put in place of old cover that was getting brittle. The shop manager only said he would do it if wiring was already tucked along the side of the vent housing. The entire unit had to be pulled up on top and old caulking removed. The new vent was $80.71 and I was charged for 30 minutes of labor $9.16 for a tube of caulk.
"Lurch" = Georgetown 2011 330TS
Pilot = Bob & Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Hikaru & Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
From one computer geek (Oracle DBA) to another, you'll be fine. As to the snow.. you're on your own with that one. Here in North Florida, we've got clear skies and a high of 80, so wish I wasn't working this week. Here's a couple pics i took doing my install.

foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
I'm having my fantastic fans installed as we today... I didn't have time to do it.... and my luck, I'd make it leak somehow...
I'm also having the smoked vent covers installed. Max Air's I think?... the kind you can run with the vent in the open position with...
2015 FR3 30 DS
1995 Wrangler
Miles 3708
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Search Ebay/Amazon, these can be found for a reasonable price. I have the newer 3 speed reversible model. It is super easy to install, I tapped into the lighting wiring which usually runs through the center of the ceiling. There is no outside work at all, no worries about "leaks'

Vortex 1 RV Roof Vent Upgrade camper Trailer Air Fan 12 Volt Heng's 90043 CR | eBay

Jim & Pam
Ram 2500, Crew Cab
2014 Hemisphere 327res
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

fan, vent