Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Adding air conditioning to '04 176SD LTD (solved)

All, I just bought a 2004 Flagstaff 176SD LTD and it did not come with air conditioning. I live in South Carolina, so this is not a good thing at all. The top of the PUP just has a vent that I can crank up to let some hot air out, but no fan, etc. However, I see wiring in the converter box for an AC unit. A couple of questions:

How can I tell if I'll need to brace my roof for AC?

How can I tell what type of unit I could put in, and would I need to purchase an additional wiring harness to go with it?

Has anybody cooled their PUPs with one of the newer mobile AC units (self-standing, non-window type) from places like Wal-Mart or Lowes? If so, how did it work?

Thanks,
Kenneth

Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #2

AC install?

Kenneth,
You can remove the trim ring on the roof vent inside the unit. You should see if there are wires there or not. If there are, carefully check what voltage you have present, 12v DC for a powered vent or 120v AC for an air conditioner. Not sure if your unit roof is set up with the correct bracing for AC or not, they weigh less than they used to but there is still a bit of mass to deal with.

Maybe a factory rep can help with the roof specs for a 2004 unit?

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #3

Chris, I checked and there are no wires there when I remove the trim ring. However, back behind the Converter there's an electrical box that states "Air Conditioning Circuit. This connection for air conditioner rated 110-125....." and it has a yellow wire going out of it, into the converter, but nothing coming into it that I can see. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Kenneth, I'd check with a factory rep or your local dealer about adding a rooftop unit, you don't want to overload your lift system or your roof. Good luck.
Chris in Virginia

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Sounds good. I called my local Flagstaff dealer the other day and while talking he quoted me around $950-$1000 for an AC unit installed. I have no clue if that's a good price or not, but I'll definitely be shopping around before buying anything. Thanks Chris!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #6

That sounds about right for a price, I looked them up on Camping World last night and they were right proud of them. If I were to need to replace my 13,500 BTU unit on my Sunseeker I'd shell out ~$755 plus labor, if I upgraded to a 15K BTU I'd be looking at ~$845. Oh, well. AC sure makes camping a LOT more comfortable.
Good luck.
Chris in Virginia

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Just a follow-up to this post, since I hate to see people never actually "complete" a post with the final solution/resolution. I added a Dometic Brisk Air (PN# 457915) 13,500 BTU rooftop AC to my camper last week. I got it at a place called www.rvpartwholesaler.com, as they had the whole unit (inside unit and top) for $535 shipped. It shipped quick since I'm in SC and they are in TN... the only issue was a small dent on the rooftop unit, but it's not really noticable. My buddy and I pulled off my old crank top roof vent and put this on in less than 3 hours. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would have been... a medium skillset for "around the house" repairs is all you need. My 176LTD was already wired for AC in the junction box, so we just ran the power cable out of the unit, across the ceiling and down the wall into the junction box. My wife, who is picky about things like that, stated that it looked like a professional install. I camped over the weekend with AC for <$600... so I'm a happy camper to say the least! Thanks for all of the good info here!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #8

Glad to hear the AC install went well.
It is truly amazing how much AC can improve a camping trip.
Hope you have many more nice trips in the future.

Chris in Virginia

Tags
air conditioner