Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Adding an Aux. 110v receptacle?

The single ducted A/C does not keep our 5th wheel camper very cool during summer months. The TT is only 30 amp so adding a second roof air in bedroom is not an easy option.
I have been thinking of adding a stand alone 110v receptacle in the living room. It would have its own cord separate of the TT's electrical system. With this arrangement I could plug in a portable A/C during the summer and even a space heater in the winter.
Anyone ever heard of someone doing this??

Thanks for any input.
Chuck.
Chuck K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

I was going to do the same thing except for a different reason. I looked into a male 110 outlet that would fit. 15A Power Inlet (white) | Marinco I then could not bring myself to drilling a hole into the side of my unit. I have since just placed a heavy duty cord through the slide each time.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I often run a separate cord from the pedestal to power an electric appliance outside on the picnic table, so what you are proposing is probably doable. I would think that the main concerns would be setting up an inside connection and venting the portable air conditioner. Some models also require a drain. Careful - the larger portable ACs require a 20 amp. circuit.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Maybe the door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I was going to do the same thing except for a different reason. I looked into a male 110 outlet that would fit. 15A Power Inlet (white) | Marinco I then could not bring myself to drilling a hole into the side of my unit. I have since just placed a heavy duty cord through the slide each time.
Rather than drill a hole in the wall, I saw a solution on another board that involved drilling the hole in a conveniently located cargo door. That way if you ever needed to remove the socket for any reason, a door replacement would be quick and easy. (also no leaks)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Proud Member

Are you sure the portable A/C would pop the 30 Amp breaker? A 13,500 BTU A/C unit actually only draws about 14 amps, it is just on a 20 Amp circuit. If it is possible, I would recommend you try the other unit with your current set up and see how it works, if there is a problem, then you could add the 110v outlet later. Just a thought.

Consider that the A/C and microwave operate at the same time and don't trip the main breaker, if the A/C is drawing 14 amps and the microwave 12 amps. That normally won't trip the main. Granted, you may not be able to run 2 A/C units and the Microwave at once.

A typical circuit breaker will trip within one hour at 140 percent of its rating. You may be surprised.

However, if you want to permanently install an rooftop unit, I would agree, you better add more service to your TT.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #6

110 outlet

Adding an Aux. 110v receptacle?
i just put in a 20 amp outlet in ower sv 235rks 10. i added it to a inside wall and then went throw the floor to outside added a weatherpoof 20 amp rec gfi and put a 20 amp male plug on it all with 12/3 wiring in pvc condoit all are sealed w/ caulk, greatstuff outside sealed and painted flat black to match the black metal fame that it is srewed to..i have a 12/3 heavy drop cord to run from that to a gen. or shore power. so now my wife can do anything she need from cooking to fixing her hair and also have a ex plug outside for a ref. tv. or someting .
bobby
2003chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v