Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
USAF Retired

Adding exhaust vent to Georgetown

Our 2011has no external exhaust and we are wondering if anyone has made this modification to theirs. If so is there a kit we can get or just DIY?
Peppercatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #2

What are you trying to vent? Microwave, oven, washer/dryer? Are the ceiling vents/fans not enough? Please clarify.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
USAF Retired

Exhaust vent

Sorry about that; didn't realize I had not fully explained myself. I want a vent above the stove to vent cooking heat. this is the first RV we have had that did not come with an external vent. Very bothersome in the summer months.
Peppercatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

I would love to do this to mine. I can't believe trailers come with hoods that vent into the living area. How hard is it while building to just vent out. I'm pretty sure most hoods come with the option of either way. Oh well, I'm also pretty sure I can't get my wife to let me cut a hole in the side out our trailer.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

Stove vent

I had to install a vent on my Passport, the ceiling vent didn't work well and smoke detector kept going off. It is not an easy task and requires 2 people. The biggest problem is the vent cannot be located where the present vent is located due to the fact the vent flange won't reach the outer vent flange. Measure, remeasure and measure again. By the way the estimate from the RV shop was over $500.,they get $125. per. hr.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Stove vent

I had to install a vent on my Passport, the ceiling vent didn't work well and smoke detector kept going off. It is not an easy task and requires 2 people. The biggest problem is the hood cannot be located where the present vent is located due to the fact the hood flange won't reach the outer vent flange. Measure, remeasure and measure again. By the way the estimate from the RV shop was over $500.,they get $125. per. hr.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKam View Post
I had to install a vent on my Passport, the ceiling vent didn't work well and smoke detector kept going off. It is not an easy task and requires 2 people. The biggest problem is the hood cannot be located where the present vent is located due to the fact the hood flange won't reach the outer vent flange. Measure, remeasure and measure again. By the way the estimate from the RV shop was over $500.,they get $125. per. hr.
Remove 1 of these Posts! Youroo!!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Peppercatt......

I’m going out on a limb and guess your previous RV(s) may have been trailers versus a motorhome. There’s a little story behind why MOST motorhomes don’t have a vent for the stove, and trailers do.

IF and I repeat....IF you were to forget to close the exterior clip on the stove vent of a trailer, the possibility of carbon monoxide buildup from the towing vehicle’s tailpipe could be strong enough to trigger the carbon monoxide monitor and sound the alarm. No harm no foul, because you’d hear it when you stopped and there’s no one allowed to ride inside a trailer. CO levels could be lethal but you’d know by the alarm.

If they had...and that’s IF they had a stove vent in a motorhome, and someone was to forget to close the exterior clip on the stove vent, people inside the motorhome while underway down the road, MIGHT start to be subjected to carbon monoxide at a gradual enough pace to cause CO poisoning without being at a level high enough to set off the alarm.

Sound reasonable?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #9

I have been installing range hoods and microwaves for 45 years in homes and trailers. It's not hard. Especially in a trailer. In a motorhome, all bets are off.
I'll be replacing the hood in my 5th wheel this summer. The hood comes with a flange. The wall cap has a flange. If they don't meet you simply add a metal extension between the too. Just check for wall studs, plumbing stacks.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #10

I too own a Georgetown with no wall-vent in the kitchen or over the stove.

I have a simple work-around:

I open the kitchen window about 1/4 inch and turn on the ceiling fan in the kitchen area. Works very well.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #11

On my first post I used vent instead of hood, sorry it bothers you. I don't know how to remove it.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Remove 1 of these Posts! Youroo!!
Ease up there buttercup. Some people don't know how to do that. And after an unknown to me amount of time, that option goes away.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKam View Post
On my first post I used vent instead of hood, sorry it bothers you. I don't know how to remove it.
FYI If the Edit button appears between thanks and quote, you can click on it and edit or remove your post. When it goes away you can't do anything with it.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #14

See the following thread. My installation discussion and pictorial is #27.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-125126.html

Also, after living with it a while, I wish that I had not installed the flapper vent valve that came with the microwave. It is very lightweight and flaps in the wind on a breezy day. The new exterior vent cover flapper would have been sufficient.

-Richard
Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W Eason View Post
See the following thread. My installation discussion and pictorial is #27.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-125126.html

Also, after living with it a while, I wish that I had not installed the flapper vent valve that came with the microwave. It is very lightweight and flaps in the wind on a breezy day. The new exterior vent cover flapper would have been sufficient.

-Richard
As an electrician, I have installed 100's of rear vent exhaust hoods. The flapper was the first thing to get thrown away.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Not a motor home but my V-lite did not come with a vent for the stove either. Problem solved as there was a vent right of stove and positioned about 4 ft from the wall. I installed a fantastic fan in this vent opening as it was also pre wired for a power fan. Mine has the automatic raise and lower cover when you start or stop fan. This solved mine problem.

Btw you have about 90 min to edit your post before that option goes away. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, vent