Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Adding gas/spring struts or props to entry door

Who has added these to their entry door?? They don't come standard (which I think they should..) and we were thinking of adding. Thanks!
Melissat411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

My 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS came with the strut on the entry door and I moved both anchor points 2.5" closer to the hinge so it would open farther and also help close it.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to post a picture? We have kids and adding the extra security that the door will not swing and crash into the siding but also the power awning. Poor design if you ask me.

2015 wildwood xlite 262bhxl
Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Can't help you with the auto door closer mine did not come with one. But I agree with you on the the very poor design of the power awnings, Nothing but problems with motors and bending frames. I know some people who keep 1 or 2 motors extra with them. Manual where just a simple spring loaded. And to top it off the metal was thicker then the flimsy stuff now. I guess it's one step further and 2 steps back as the saying go's.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissat411 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you able to post a picture? We have kids and adding the extra security that the door will not swing and crash into the siding but also the power awning. Poor design if you ask me. 2015 wildwood xlite 262bhxl
I know the poor design you refer to is the door swinging into the awning arm and not the design of the power awning. Carrying an extra motor is a "Just in case" scenario if we happen to be out and the motor quits which electric motors do all the time. Cheap, just like carrying a spare tire only much smaller and cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Both anchors relocated.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	62598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	62599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up relocated anchor on trailer.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	62600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	62601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relocated anchor on trailer.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	62602  

Name:	Relocated strut.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	62603  
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I know the poor design you refer to is the door swinging into the awning arm and not the design of the power awning. Carrying an extra motor is a "Just in case" scenario if we happen to be out and the motor quits which electric motors do all the time. Cheap, just like carrying a spare tire only much smaller and cheaper.
No I did not mean that, it is just impossible for my door to swing into my awning arm being it's at least 5' from my door, I just meant as I said cheap awnings and and the light weight metal they are made of. I guess it really depends on the model you own.....It is impossible to hit on a 8289WS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awning and door 001.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	62608  

Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

The OP's 2015 Wildwood X Lite 262BHXL has 2 doors and from the pictures, it doesn't look like the doors will hit the awning arms. I think OP is talking about the doors swinging into the side of the camper and damaging the siding. If there are no stops on the side, it is a very poor design. Even with stops on the side, the doors could be damaged. Our older trailers had the same problem and I just added a small chain to the top of the door to the door frame.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Poor quality picture as this was taken inside however, the door is open but leaning against the frame of the awning. Both doors actually. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410468771.501970.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	62610Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410468851.949496.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	62611
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Poor quality picture as this was taken inside however, the door is open but leaning against the frame of the awning. Both doors actually. Attachment 62610Attachment 62611
Much different than the dealer pictures. Your front door is very much like my 12Flagstaff 8528RKWS which had a strut. When I moved the strut anchors, I got the door to stop about 1" from the awning arm. I agree with you, it is a very poor design to have the door swing into the awning arm. Even if you had a manual awning, it would either damage the door or the arm. You can either put a small chain on the door or a strut.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Poor quality picture as this was taken inside however, the door is open but leaning against the frame of the awning. Both doors actually. Attachment 62610Attachment 62611
You are correct that is a very poor design, It's looks as through you can't even open the door all the way. How do you just leave the screen door open even if you can? Chalk that one up as another oops by FR.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #11

We live on the west coast, washington state so the layout of our model may differ.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

I may be jumping ahead but technically we don't even get this unit until tomorrow and it's possible the awning was not up and out all the way. So I guess in a sense we will have to wait until tomorrow. However when the owner of the dealership was walking us through I recall him even opening the main entry door and noticing it "resting" against the awning frame.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #13

Here's the dealership pics Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410471167.376400.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	62615
Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #14

When you pick the unit up before you sign the papers, make sure they put on some kind of restraint on the door so it will not hit. Even if if is as cheap as adding something to stop the door from banging into the arm. How do you keep the door open with the screen only closed? What holds it open? You can see the latch on the bottom of mine, Plus there is about a 4" 1/2" post that will stop it from hitting the side of the unit. Very poor design. Get it secured before you accept it.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #15

That's a great idea we will have to do that tomorrow. The dealership has been awesome so far I don't want to over step that but it only makes sense to ask that. We opted out of their promo "family fun package" because the grill offered out of the box wouldn't fit under the pass through storage so where else would it be stored? Something for others to think about if this is offered. I do have an ongoing list in preparation for tomorrow. Any other advice? This is our second unit in a year but anything extra is appreciated!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
That's a great idea we will have to do that tomorrow. The dealership has been awesome so far I don't want to over step that but it only makes sense to ask that. We opted out of their promo "family fun package" because the grill offered out of the box wouldn't fit under the pass through storage so where else would it be stored? Something for others to think about if this is offered. I do have an ongoing list in preparation for tomorrow. Any other advice? This is our second unit in a year but anything extra is appreciated!
Just take your time and make sure you know how it works and it will work, do not be rushed and do not sign anything until you are satisfied.You will be over whelmed by most things at one time but just take a breath and make sure he/she leaves and you try everything by yourself so you know. Congrats and good luck on your new unit, May you have many HAPPY CAMPING DAYS. Good Luck

Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Yes we were overwhelmed the first time on delivery of our first trailer. This time should be a little easier. We are not seasoned campers by any means but now we know what to look for and what to ask. We had the unfortunate experience of dealing with all things can go wrong with our first unit and may I add Camping World to make matters worse..matter of opinion. Anyway we've learned a lot in the first year and look forward to many more!!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #18

Looks like if they made a door to open the other direction the issue would be solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Looks like if they made a door to open the other direction the issue would be solved.

That's a good idea really, now why didn't FR figure that out in there design, simple fix that way but I have never seen a door hinged on the left yet. But I have also not seen every unit. But great simple idea. What gets me is that we all pay good money for your unit, then you end up spending more money on design flaws. Most of the time you don't realize it's a flaw until you start camping in it. I guess it's just the whole industry. I'm also a member of the heartland forum and they have the same complaints that this forum has. I can see making mods that you want to change for your convenience, but not to make there design work correct right out of the box... I would still like to know how do you keep the door open and just use the screen door with that design?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410523140.886232.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	62634

I would want Forest River to pay for the swap. It's their design flaw with a easy fix. But that is just me.

Did it to a camper at hunting camp due to the way the porch that had made.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, gas