Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Adding outside cable connection

Good morning!

We just purchased our first TT, a Wildwood 195BH. One thing that it does not have that I'd like to add is the outside coax connection so that we can connect to park cable when we go.

We have a dual coax wall plate that has SAT and TV1 connections. Our TT came with an HD antenna and booster as an option. I was told by my dealer that the wall plate already has a spot for connecting to an outside cable connection.

I would think it would be pretty easy to install an outside coax connection but wanted to see if anyone here has done this already? I'm leary on drilling into the outer skin of our TT and don't want to cause any leaks. I see that there are screw holes on the outside coax plate but am wondering if the structure inside would be there for me to drill into. I was thinking of installing it directly on the other side of where the wall plate is now, which is between the door and window over the sink.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

I'm not 100% familiar with your rig but it is unusual you would have a satellite connection (inside and outside) and not have a cable connection.
Photos of your connections might help us help you.

You could always hook the park cable to the SAT connection on the outside then use a short jumper from the inside SAT connection to the TV.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not 100% familiar with your rig but it is unusual you would have a satellite connection (inside and outside) and not have a cable connection.
Photos of your connections might help us help you.

You could always hook the park cable to the SAT connection on the outside then use a short jumper from the inside SAT connection to the TV.
Thank you for the quick reply!

I had asked about the SAT connection and was told that our TT did not come with an outside SAT connection and that both our salesguy and the guy who did our walkthrough was not sure why our TT had that wall plate when it only came with the antenna with booster option.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

I believe your unit might be cable/sat ready and therefore there should be stowed someplace with access from the outside at least one unterminated coax cable. Could be wrong. Worth a call to Wildwood.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

You should examine every box on the outside of your RV first for a screw-on coax connector... maybe they put them in separate locations for some strange reason. If the one you've found for satellite is not near your shore power connection then look for your cable receptacle there... when parks provide cable, their receptacle will be on the same post as the shore power and thus it makes most sense for the RV connection to be near the shore power input too.

I've never seen a recent RV that didn't have an exterior receptacle for both cable and satellite (if it had one, it had both). It usually looks like an the outdoor AC receptacle with a hinged plastic cover like this.

If you have an antenna and booster then try to look at the back of the booster and there should be 3 cable connections: one out to the tele (or a wall plate from where it is intended to go to the tele), one in from the antenna (selected when the booster switch is on and pilot light illuminated) and one from an exterior jack (selected when the booster is off).

You're saying you have only the satellite connection?

If it is double-width like the one shown above, but with only one connector, you could just buy a cable coupler and drill a 1/4" hole to install it in the blank side. You'd then use a short length of coax to go from the inside end of the coupler to the 'cable' input of the booster.

If you have only a single-width receptacle like this, you could either add a second one (probably only a 1/4" hole in the exterior required) or replace the single with the dual (may have to expand the cutout).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

I have looked at all of the outside receptacles and do not see a park coax jack anywhere. I do see the 30 amp receptacle and that's the only thing on that side that is a receptacle. The city water/water receptacle is on the back.

This is similar to what I have since I do have the push button to enable the antenna booster: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-75.../dp/B000NJ5U2Q

I would like to add this: http://www.rvplus.com/jr-products-ca...FQiQaQodxVgJqA

So that I can connect the shore cable to our TT. I do not have this or the ones linked above at all from the factory.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyfamily View Post
I have looked at all of the outside receptacles and do not see a park coax jack anywhere. I do see the 30 amp receptacle and that's the only thing on that side that is a receptacle. The city water/water receptacle is on the back.

This is similar to what I have since I do have the push button to enable the antenna booster: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-75.../dp/B000NJ5U2Q

I would like to add this: JR PRODUCTS 476-B-1-A - Jr Products Cable TV Plate Colonial White 476-B-1-A - RV Plus

So that I can connect the shore cable to our TT. I do not have this or the ones linked above at all from the factory.
As has been asked, is there more than one cable connected on the back side of your antenna plate? Specifically to the AUX/SAT or is it CABLE/SAT port? If there is the other end of that cable is either terminated on the outside somewhere or stowed somewhere on the outside. If it is a SAT ant cable it will be probably on the roof somewhere, stowed. If there isn't a cable on the back side as said then you probably are not prewired for cable or sat. Also be sure and look in the hole that the panel is mounted in for a loose cable.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Is the antenna booster plate the only wall plate with coax connections on it? I tried looking at 195BH's on the web but none of the images in that area were detailed enough to tell.

There are a number of ways to wire the inputs and its possible that you don't need another external input unless you need to use cable and a satellite receiver in the same stay. To use either one or the other, you may be expected to make the appropriate connections manually. Sure, separate external connections makes it easier to keep the dedicated connections straight but that was probably cost-reduced out of your unit.

My concern with adding that external receptacle is that the flange is pretty big and it may not be easy to seal against the corrugated siding (those are more intended for smooth-side (i.e. bonded fibreglass) construction.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

Not a problem! I am hoping to go back out to our TT later this week and I will take a picture of the wall plate back once I get there. I also have an electric jack I purchased that will replace the hand crank one, as well as LED lights to replace the incandescent ones.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Don't add

I love having a tv outside for baseball games etc. I use the cable connection from the campgrounds. I have a short 12" coax cable I connect to the campground. Then a two way splitter connected to that. One coax from the splitter connected to camper. The second coax is long and runs under the camper to the patio area and connects to the tv. Works like a charm and no drilling into the side of your rig.