Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
MI Camperz

Adding Shelves

We full time in the summer and I would sure like some extra shelves....either solid or wire. Haven't done this in a camper before, not sure how with the types of walls in RVs. Can anyone tell what kind of mounting hardware one would use that would also be safe for travel? Meaning, what would not tear out of the walls while under pressure from traveling? Might one day travel with it or one day sell it. Thank you in advance for replies. Even better would be adding cabinets...those would be heavier, so wondered about that too.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #2

I've seen posts where people go to Home Depot and buy the wire storage shelves and supports. I'm sure somebody here has done this mod and will provide pics. They look like they would work quite well without adding the weight of solid shelves. But IMO solid shelves would function better in a pantry situation so canned goods wouldn't tip over. That rubbery shelf liner would help keep things in their place better than a smooth wood shelf. Although more of a closet mod this link will show pics of the hardware used and how it was mounted. I think the zipties are a good idea.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26309181.cfm
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

I installed drawers in my pantry. It is easier to reach items at the back. I uses gorilla glue to attack plywood strips. I then screwed the drawer glides to the plywood. The glides are from HD and only needed front and back boards and a bottom board.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Resident Masshole

I've added a few shelves and a drawer so far. Ideally you can figure out where the studs are, but so far I've had no issue using 1 1/4" sheet rock screws into the panels of the ward drobe closet (ie, into an exterior wall) and bathroom (interior wall). And for the bathroom shelf, I used sheet rock anchors for a little extra strength.

Here's my list of mods, including the shelves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ods-37724.html

Another member found what I think are really good brackets you can use, if you want to go the solid shelf route:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...try-37935.html
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
<snip> That rubbery shelf liner would help keep things in their place better than a smooth wood shelf. Although more of a closet mod this link will show pics of the hardware used and how it was mounted. I think the zipties are a good idea.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Adding closet organizer shelf to an RV
I'm a huge fan of zip ties. For my warddrobe mod w/ the wire racks, I used zip ties to hold them to the support braces. The vertical supports are screwed directly into the paneling using either 1 1/4 or 1 5/8 screws. I measured the thickness of wall 3 or 4 times first though.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I've seen posts where people go to Home Depot and buy the wire storage shelves and supports. I'm sure somebody here has done this mod and will provide pics. They look like they would work quite well without adding the weight of solid shelves. But IMO solid shelves would function better in a pantry situation so canned goods wouldn't tip over. That rubbery shelf liner would help keep things in their place better than a smooth wood shelf. Although more of a closet mod this link will show pics of the hardware used and how it was mounted. I think the zipties are a good idea.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Adding closet organizer shelf to an RV
That's very clever! I'm amazed, going from our pup to our mini-lite how many possibilities there are for ADDING more storage spaces. For instance, the entire wall next to the bed could have shelving put up (if we were so inclined). Just have to be careful of bumped heads if we wanted to go that route, but would sure save on clutter scattered around during camping.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
MI Camperz

Darlene?
Did you get that other sharp corner worked out using the corner protectors people were suggesting?