Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

Adding skylight above shower

I have a 261BHXL, and ours did not come with the skylight above the shower that I see on different/newer models.

I'm tall, and that extra space would be great. Wondering if anyone has added this and how difficult of an addition is it? Would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction. Which part it is, etc. I imagine install isn't difficult. Cut a hole, screws and caulking?
BNBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

I never added one but I did replace a hail damaged one on my last camper.

I don't think adding would would be a big deal. Just make sure you measure and cut carefully. Be careful that the manufacturer didn't run wire or plumbing in the ceiling above the shower.

I personally think installing a new one is much easier than replacing an existing one....scraping Dicor and butyl tape was a pain.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #3

Do you know if they sell them as a kit with some sort of instructions? I'm not sure what/where to buy it.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Don't Camp Enough

Amazon and e-bay has them. Also try Replacement RV Parts & Fender Skirts - AC Shrouds & more - IconDirect.com
You will enjoy this mod!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Go figure, Amazon "RV Skylight" - plenty of options. Much appreciated
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

i wouldn't fit in my shower without the skylight. The top of my head is literally in the skylight
Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

I have to bend my head down slightly. It's not ideal, hence the skylight. Looking forward to this upgrade. Otherwise it's really a great little camper.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

Be careful. Most of what you find when you google RV skylight are replacement outer domes.

You need a complete kit that includes inner dome, garnish, outer dome, plus screws. In addition, butye tape or innersealant (use sealant recommend by manufacturer, DICOR was not recommend for my install-outgas from sealant could have fogged the plastic), outer sealant and eternabond tape for last lasyer of outer sealing.

RV Skylights, Outer, Clear Inner Dome Skylight, White Inner Garnish

Our camper had hail damage so we replaced both the inner and outer domes. We kept and used the original garnish since it matched the other garnishes in color. In case you don't know, garnish is the trim around the inner dome that covers edges up and masks the sides of the hole cut in the ceiling. Make sure your garnish is deep enough to go thru and mask the sides of the ceiling hole. When we replaced an RV vent last year, the stock garnish was too shallow and we could see the foam component in the composite roof. The original garnish that was deep enough wasn't compatible with the new rv vent.

Good luck, it isn't a hard job. I would use an oscillating multi-function power tool to cut the hole instead of a jig saw or circular saw. With the oscillating power tool, you can be very deliberate in cutting the hold and go very slow to ensure you aren't cutting into any roof beam structures, wiring, or plumbing.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Be careful. Most of what you find when you google RV skylight are replacement outer domes.

You need a complete kit that includes inner dome, garnish, outer dome, plus screws. In addition, butye tape or innersealant (use sealant recommend by manufacturer, DICOR was not recommend for my install-outgas from sealant could have fogged the plastic), outer sealant and eternabond tape for last lasyer of outer sealing.

RV Skylights, Outer, Clear Inner Dome Skylight, White Inner Garnish

Our camper had hail damage so we replaced both the inner and outer domes. We kept and used the original garnish since it matched the other garnishes in color. In case you don't know, garnish is the trim around the inner dome that covers edges up and masks the sides of the hole cut in the ceiling. Make sure your garnish is deep enough to go thru and mask the sides of the ceiling hole. When we replaced an RV vent last year, the stock garnish was too shallow and we could see the foam component in the composite roof. The original garnish that was deep enough wasn't compatible with the new rv vent.

Good luck, it isn't a hard job. I would use an oscillating multi-function power tool to cut the hole instead of a jig saw or circular saw. With the oscillating power tool, you can be very deliberate in cutting the hold and go very slow to ensure you aren't cutting into any roof beam structures, wiring, or plumbing.
Good info. I may just have someone handle it for me at a dealer.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

You can purchase the inner and outer domes from Icon at "icon.com" be sure to order the special roof sealer. Dicor and other sealers do not adhear to the lexan domes. I can tell you from experience.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
You can purchase the inner and outer domes from Icon at "icon.com" be sure to order the special roof sealer. Dicor and other sealers do not adhear to the lexan domes. I can tell you from experience.
Did you mean Replacement RV Parts & Fender Skirts - AC Shrouds & more - IconDirect.com ?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBRV View Post
Good info. I may just have someone handle it for me at a dealer.
Don't! If you want something right when it comes to RV's, please do it yourself. If you want shoddy service, corners cut, and high pricing then by all means use an RV dealer.

It isn't a difficult job at all. If you live in CO, I'll do it for pizza and a beer provided you pay for all parts. Friends don't let Friends use RV dealers.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #13

Yes , I have used them many times when working on RVs and have found them to be very good to work with and they have an extensive catalogue of formed plastic parts including the domes you are looking for. They ship very quickly. Good luck with your installation. Remember to install some framework around the opening to give you screws a firm anchorage.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

Personally,,, I think you should be happy you don't have a Sky Light !!!
In my opinion they are nothing more than a PITA !!!
And I think you are looking for trouble,,, having one installed !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Personally,,, I think you should be happy you don't have a Sky Light !!!
In my opinion they are nothing more than a PITA !!!
And I think you are looking for trouble,,, having one installed !!!
I agree with Wolverine 1945, l removed skylight during my roof repair, that is why most are over the bathtub.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
I agree with Wolverine 1945, l removed skylight during my roof repair, that is why most are over the bathtub.
Right On,,, trouble is most that leak,,, the water ends running somewhere other than in the Tub !!! The one that we had in our old TT leaked,,, and the water ran out of the bath fan & ceiling light !!! I have seen leakers in Manufactured homes where the water did not show up until it ran 6 or 8 feet down the ceiling
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, show, shower