Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Adding solar to new 5th wheel.

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. We purchased a 2017 Wildcat 262RGX 2 months ago. It's a great unit to travel with. It came prewired for rooftop solar and control panel. Has anyone mad this addition and curious as to cost. I haven't contacted the dealer yet for info. There are times when I'm more inclined to just buy a generator such as the Champion 75537i Invertor Generator and have it over with. I don't plan to boondock much, just trying to figure our what works the best.

2018 Silverado LTZ 2500HD CC Duramax
B.P.O.E. #2248
RamblinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinFever View Post
I hope I'm posting in the right forum. We purchased a 2017 Wildcat 262RGX 2 months ago. It's a great unit to travel with. It came prewired for rooftop solar and control panel. Has anyone mad this addition and curious as to cost. I haven't contacted the dealer yet for info. There are times when I'm more inclined to just buy a generator such as the Champion 75537i Invertor Generator and have it over with. I don't plan to boondock much, just trying to figure our what works the best.

It depends what you're going to do while boondocking. I personally hate generators... BUT I understand that people use them for TVs and blow drying their hair in the morning.

If your rig comes with a solar controller, you could buy standalone panels and get PLENTY of performance for what you would spend on a generator (Just remember that they don't run in the dark so you at the very least need dual batteries). If you're planning on creature comforts while boondocking, get the generator... it'll be cheaper. If you're planning on the basics like heat, refrigeration, and lights, go solar.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

Genset, I would go with and having the basic solar would be nice to keep the batteries top off. Other than that, there is so many variables when it comes to solar as in the total watts and all what you want to use, these replies are going to get big and detailed.....let it begin
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

sure wish someone would post pictures, web address. seen them all over but mi e i’d 44 ft. devastating the same thing. i know they have different VDC panels out there .
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinFever View Post

Please don't waste your time and money in dealing with a factory pre-wired for solar setups. They are pretty much worthless but do make a good system to prevent your battery from discharging while in storage I guess.

I have a pretty sweet solar system on my camper that allows me to go generator free for almost all of my trips. I do about 3 solar installs a year to fund upgrades to my 5th wheel. I tell every customer who answers my ads that the most cost effective option for almost everyone is to get a decent and quiet inverter generator.

Solar is not cost effective unless you a a full time boondock rv'er. I do not fit that category but my system which I charge $6500 to install is mainly for convenience and not having to worry about power.

Factory solar system are pre-wired with too thin wire resulting in unacceptable voltage losses which make them basically worthless. This website has a lot of reading but it is very valuable if you take the time https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
sure wish someone would post pictures, web address. seen them all over but mi e i’d 44 ft. devastating the same thing. i know they have different VDC panels out there .
Jeff, I don't understand what you are asking. If you would like to install solar by yourself, it isn't that hard. A little understanding of electricity and more mechanical ability is what is required. I have six 100 watt solar panels on my roof. Each is grouped in a set of 3 panels that are wired in parallel. These two groups of three panels are then wired together in series and then the power is sent to the solar controller. Most 12 volt panels put out 18 to 20 volts in ideal conditions. My system generates about 41 volts to my solar controller when the sun is above and bright. My MPPT controller converts the excess voltage into higher current at more appropriate lower voltages needed to charge the batteries.

There are a lot of solar setups out there and many professional installers do not do good installs that should work as promised because of voltage losses form wire distances with too thin wires. Why spend thousands when the solar controller is mounted 10-15 feet away from the battery bank and connected with 10 gauge wiring? The same goes for wiring length and gauge from solar panels to the solar controller. Same goes for inverters mounted to far away form battery bank with too thin wiring or power converters used to charge the batteries with occasional generator use not mounted within 3-5 feet of battery banks, etc...etc...etc.. Don't get me started on crimps. A poorly crimped lug is dangerous and can cause a fire that can destroy your RV.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
It depends what you're going to do while boondocking. I personally hate generators... BUT I understand that people use them for TVs and blow drying their hair in the morning.

If your rig comes with a solar controller, you could buy standalone panels and get PLENTY of performance for what you would spend on a generator (Just remember that they don't run in the dark so you at the very least need dual batteries). If you're planning on creature comforts while boondocking, get the generator... it'll be cheaper. If you're planning on the basics like heat, refrigeration, and lights, go solar.

Thanks man for the info. No no I’ll probably put two inverters with 4 deep cycle batteries. With that or I’ll get eight of those 6 volts. My enclosed trailer has a 30 amp system in it. I work on the pipeline so mi e won’t sit in any storage for a long while.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Jeff, Skyliner wrote he didn't understand what you were saying. You might consider rewriting this sentence so we can understand what you meant:

"over but mi e i’d 44 ft. devastating the same thing."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Jeff, Skyliner wrote he didn't understand what you were saying. You might consider rewriting this sentence so we can understand what you meant:

"over but mi e i’d 44 ft. devastating the same thing."

uummm ya i can see why. i do t even know what that means. hang on let me look up
Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

2017 wildcat Max 262rgx here thinking about adding solar. Curious to know what RmblnFvr decided to do?
tbeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Been away from the forum for a while. Wife not interested in boondocking so decided to put solar on the back burner. I've seen several good installs. One was on YouTube by "Keep Your Daydream" last year. They did a "Cadillac" install and figure parts alone was about $7K plus labor. That is what I'd like to do but not unless I was going to do a LOT of boondocking.
2018 Silverado LTZ 2500HD CC Duramax
B.P.O.E. #2248
RamblinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 AM   #12

That was a cadillac install. Just the Lithium Batteries would have shot my budget. I haven't done it yet and likely will wait a couple years for when I get retired and will actually boondock more than a couple race weekends/weeks a year. Hopefully prices will drop dramatically by then.

That said, I have watched a boatload of solar videos and for someone wanting to have the basics, it can be done a lot cheaper than 7K. Here's what I'm thinking after my research and by no means am I an expert, just a researcher until I decide person.

Most videos say you can find good panels for about $1.00-$1.50 a watt. A good MPPT controller for between $150-$200. Upgrading your batteries to have 4 good deep cycles about another $150 x 4 ($600) for Trojan T105's (Popular 6v golf cart batteries), more if you want AGM or Lithium.

Lastly, most websites say somewhere between 2-3 as a multiplier for number of watts of solar per AH of your batteries. So if you have 200AH of usable (400AH Total) energy in your batteries, you want somewhere between 400-600 Watts of solar. More Wattage gives you more cushion for partially cloudy days or better charge on the days you only get a few hours of sun.

Now the trick is to identify how much energy you are using or want to be able to use and then right size your battery bank to that and then your solar panels to the battery bank.

Tags
5th wheel, solar, wheel