Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Adding wire shelves to my pantry -- any tips on screwing brackets into wall?

I'm going to add these wire shelves to the pantry and bedside closets in my Rockwood 2306:

I need to screw the vertical supports along the back into the wall -- any suggestions on what to use for screws? Just a basic wood screw? How long (I assume that I don't want to go too deep)?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Here are some fasteners I found to be awesome. They are pricey, but with the thin plywood veneer and Styrofoam core, pull outs and veneer crushing is a real issue with most wall fasteners.

The World's Strongest Fasteners and Fixtures - Wingits Innovations
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WING-ITS Fasteners and Bars.pdf (4.82 MB, 597 views)
File Type: pdf WingIts Shower Seats-web.pdf (657.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf FasteningComparison.pdf (29.1 KB, 98 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #3

Cool -- those look like the right solution. Home Depot sells them -- any suggestion on which ones to use?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Rats, never mind -- just noticed those are all online-only. I need to get something today, so I'll look for whatever anchors they carry in the store. Thanks anyway!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Rats, never mind -- just noticed those are all online-only. I need to get something today, so I'll look for whatever anchors they carry in the store. Thanks anyway!
The web site says they carry the brand (not sure what sizes) at the Home Depot store. The walls are about 1 1/2 inch thick so I would look for no more than a 1 inch anchor.

You want to spread that load over as big an area behind the wall luan as possible. That wood is pretty thin.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Looks great. Think of all the bungy cords you could tie down stuff with now....

If it were me, I'd at least locate the wall studs and screw into something solid. A stud finder works through the thin plywood. Or use a hammer a lightly tap the wall until it feels solid. The studs should be "sort of" around 15-16" but they seem to vary somewhat and sometimes they are doubled up too.

If you can't locate studs or they aren't in an appropriate location, you could use those wingback anchor thingies. They are several types to choose from.

There are supports available for the ends of wire basket but 'course they won't work since your shelving is inverted. If you have 3/4" sidewalls, you could attach a 1x1" cleat.

On screw length, look for one that is used to fasten a piece of 1x1" to a wall and re&re it and see what length that is. Use at least a #8 screw and if possible a #10 in the upright for more holding power.

Maybe you should tie the shelving to the arms with tie-wraps?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

I've bought them at a local HD before.
Used them to hang a couple of flat panel TV's in offices on drywall.

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Canadian Member

I'm looking to add those shelves in the wardrobe on my Roo 23SS.

I'm thinking of adding an extra 1/4" thickness of wallboard, glued with construction adhesive to the back wall of the wardrobe to improve the stiffness of the wall, then screwing in the wall brackets with #10 screws. I tried my stud finder and could only find 1 stud for the entire width of the wardrobe.

Should I still use the winged anchors? The only anchors close to the Wingits at our local (Canadian) HD are too long.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I'm looking to add those shelves in the wardrobe on my Roo 23SS.

I'm thinking of adding an extra 1/4" thickness of wallboard, glued with construction adhesive to the back wall of the wardrobe to improve the stiffness of the wall, then screwing in the wall brackets with #10 screws. I tried my stud finder and could only find 1 stud for the entire width of the wardrobe.

Should I still use the winged anchors? The only anchors close to the Wingits at our local (Canadian) HD are too long.
I ended up just screwing directly into the wall. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...6-a-22147.html

So far so good, but the real test will be when they're fully loaded up and I go down the road with them. I'll be sure to report any issues I come across, but I'm confident they're going to be strong enough.

Note: my supports are resting on the base of the cabinet, so all the screws have to do is hold the supports against the back wall. The screws themselves aren't really bearing much load...