Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #1

Additional Step for TT

We would like to add a third entry step to our Rockwood 2901SS but am not sure how to get started with this. Has anyone replaced or installed additional entry steps on their TT? What issues should I be concerned with ?
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

The only issue you should be concerned with is why you waited so long to do this! You can replace the entire step system, but you may need to get with the manufacturer to see what would fit for sure. Another option I've seen a lot of is a small wooden platform step (homemade) at the bottom. Use it when necessary, and store it when it's not (or when traveling).

Check out this link to PPL to see many options for replacing your steps.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We also wanted another step, and after looking at the $70~90 offerings from camping places, I was about ready to build a small wooden platform. Then one night in K-Mart, I happened across an Aerobic step/platform for $20. Bought it, has two height adjustment just like the camping steps. We bought an Astro-Turf rug and some self adhesive Velcro, and attached the rug to the step. It works very well, is wide and stable, and gives us a place to clean our shoes well before we go in. This solution may not work for everyone, but it works for us.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #4

I saw that stepper too and thought the same thing. I instead found a plastic pallet that is 5 inches tall. It makes a very wide base that the children can safley manage. Since it is black it is not too offensive but may need reflector tape on the corners for nite-time. But if you really want to go to three step stairs - you need to measure from the threshhold to the ground to get the total "drop". Stairs also come in two widths. I can't remember them for sure I think its 24" and 20" widths. It'll be stated on the box or catalog.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Then one night in K-Mart, I happened across an Aerobic step/platform for $20. Bought it, has two height adjustment just like the camping steps. We bought an Astro-Turf rug and some self adhesive Velcro, and attached the rug to the step.
windrider, you can step up and down on that puppy a couple of times, and get a work-out in.

Seriously, sounds like a great solution.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Works for us, and we can offset it enough on the ground so that we can stand on it and open the door without being knocked off or having to step off to let the door swing by. Has 4 add on blocks for height adjustment, 5 inches and 8 inches with the blocks. In one place we only used 2 blocks on one side to make it level as the ground was sloping badly at the door. Like I said earlier, works for us. Plastic and light weight.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

I got one that hooked onto the existing steps and was metal, that worked good, got it off ebay, it locked onto the back of the steps and wouldnt slide off.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses everyone!! I like the idea of an aerobic step/platform especially with the astro-turf rug. We were out a couple of weeks ago and the wife and I (probably more her than me) were constantly sweeping up to keep the dirt/mud out.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Windrider, I am going to look into getting 1 of those puppies for those times I have to jack the curb side up just to get the trailer level.....seems like an excellent idea.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #10

Our SV263 came with only one step, so we used a step stool last season. Got very tired of that, and actually forgot it once. This year, we orderd the double step for about $60-$65 from some on-line RV place, and it has been worth every penny. Even though the steps were the same size width-wise as the original, the holes for attaching the steps to the TT were not in exactly the same spots. We marked where the holes should have been and took it to a dealer who had the tools to make the new holes. Voila! New steps that fit - don't even really need the large fold-back assist rail we put on the side by the door, and we will never forget the extra step.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entry, steps