Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

When I replaced the mattress on our FR 3210 with a temperpedic, lifting the bed top to gain access to the storage area underneath became very difficult. Would like to install a couple of air lift assist struts to help. The challenge is that the bed is built into our slideout and the bed 'box' remains stationary while the top board (and mattress) slide over the top. The only thing I can think of is some kind or rail mounting that allows the strut to move with the slide - of course I can't seem to find anything like that at the places that sale the lifts.

Has anyone conquered this already or seen it done?

Thanks
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I know it seems to be very rudimentry, but a broom stick handle against a stop may be your easiest solution.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

We have the same problem with our Lexi265. We have a strut rod to hold it there once it is up but getting it up is the problem. It is an awkward lift and then hold it there to deploy the strut. No way can the wife do it so the storage area does not get used much. I have thought about adding a flop down door to the foot end to gain access but it would be a long (36") door and not sure what it would do to the structure strength of the bed box. Hope to see a solution here.
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Pictures would sure help in trying to come up with a solution for you folks. We have some very creative folks here if they have some idea of what they are trying to accomplish. A picture(s) are worth a thousand (or thousands) of words.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

I have the same problem with our Georgetown MH. have been afraid to attach a strut because of the moving parts.

I nailed a stop to the bed board and then cut a piece of wood to match. Doesn't help lifting but I can leave it up as long as necessary to work on storage ...
Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

rv bed top lift to access storage beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougguy View Post
When I replaced the mattress on our FR 3210 with a temperpedic, lifting the bed top to gain access to the storage area underneath became very difficult. Would like to install a couple of air lift assist struts to help. The challenge is that the bed is built into our slideout and the bed 'box' remains stationary while the top board (and mattress) slide over the top. The only thing I can think of is some kind or rail mounting that allows the strut to move with the slide - of course I can't seem to find anything like that at the places that sale the lifts.

Has anyone conquered this already or seen it done?

Thanks
I have the same problem. My thought was to build a frame beneath the moving bed top. This frame would be hinged and have struts so that when you lift it, the bed top also gets lifted. It takes about a 30-40lb force to lift the bed top, so how do you size the struts and what's the lightest and best way to build the frame (wood I would assume)?

thanks for any help!
j_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
DS ADV Rider

I changed the mattress our on Lacrosse 301RLS to a heavier one and it became hard to lift and didn't stay up, as the gas struts were sized for the lighter mattress.

I know that's not the same as the problem here, but it might help you to know that the original struts were 80lb and I bought some 100lb struts (about $22 each) and they worked fine.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I know it seems to be very rudimentry, but a broom stick handle against a stop may be your easiest solution.

Dave
EXACTLY what I did! My under-bed area was "sealed", with only two small drawers, one on each side. Unscrewed the top of bed and found LOTS of wasted potential storage space. Picked-up a piano hinge, a rubber stop designed to protect a wall from a swinging door or knob, and a broomstick. Removed the drawer assemblies, and used the drawer-faces as cabinet doors over the openings, using a couple of hinges and a latch. Small items can be stowed or retrieved through the door, but we also store bid-stuff underneath, and we can now lift the bed to retrieve it.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #9

air strut lift for bed

Thank you for the responses. I now know I will need good size struts, 100 lb will probably work.

So dave_monica did you provide any struts to help in the lifting of the bed top? My problem of course is complicated by the fact that the top moves in and out with the slide, while the bottom portion of the bed stays fixed.

thanks again,
j_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I changed the mattress our on Lacrosse 301RLS to a heavier one and it became hard to lift and didn't stay up, as the gas struts were sized for the lighter mattress.

I know that's not the same as the problem here, but it might help you to know that the original struts were 80lb and I bought some 100lb struts (about $22 each) and they worked fine.

Bob
Can I ask where you purchased your struts, the brand & length?
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Too old to be too smart

Night Wolf,

Thanks for reviving this thread.

I have a similar situation and need to that length, as well.

I suspect two 100-pound struts would be about right, but the length will somewhat determine the geometry of mounting them, as that weight rating comes in a few lengths.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
DS ADV Rider

I purchased the gas struts here:

Niagara Trailers
1224 York Road, Saint Davids, ON L0S 1P0
(905) 262-4518 ()‎ · niagaratrailers.com

I tried to get them at an Auto Parts store but they only had them by Part Number for specific cars and trucks, and the struts did not have the rating on them.

I'd just got my new trailer and was on a shakedown trip so I tried Niagara Trailers who were near the campground. They had a good selection of gas struts and they were grouped by length and lb rating. I had the original strut with me (it was marked as 80lb) so we didn't need to measure it. I don't recall the brand, but perhaps you could contact the dealer.

My trailer is in a storage facility so I won't be accessing it until late December when we head south.
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
DS ADV Rider

I just checked the Niagara Trailers website and came up with this catalogue which gives information on their gas struts.

http://www.coastdistribution.com/PDF...1_Hardware.pdf
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Night Wolf,

Thanks for reviving this thread.

I have a similar situation and need to that length, as well.

I suspect two 100-pound struts would be about right, but the length will somewhat determine the geometry of mounting them, as that weight rating comes in a few lengths.

Pop
YW; I don't understand why forum posts over 90 days old are not used more often. Many new people join the forums all the time and have many of the same questions. I've spent hours reading posts on many different trailers looking for tips/tricks.
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed