Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Another dish network question.

I know... Another dish network question.
I searched and searched but did not see the answer.
We went seasonal this year and only got one channel over the air first time out. We are going to give dish "pay as you go" a shot. Dish Network has a Weekender RV Pack for $279 plus $49.00 per month. The package includes a DISH Network Mobile ViP211z Receiver and a Winegard Dish Network 1000.2 Satellite plus Tripod. I see both these items much cheaper on Ebay and Amazon. (save maybe $100) Worth the hassle?
Question is this. Do I have to buy from Dish Network to go along on the deal or can I buy from Amazon and just activate the equipment through dish and pay as I go?
I also see other dishes like a 1000.4? Some of the dishes say western arc, eastern arc ect. I am trying to use in 44041 Northern Ohio.
So confusing but some of you guys are pros. We do not need a tailgator, we are stationary. (plus the DW will freak on $500)
Any advice appreciated.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Average Joe

I forget what online vendor I bought my dish and receiver from, but they set me up initially with the Dish package you are looking at. I believe most vendors can help you with that package. $49 is their new rate for the pay as you go. Used to be $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

Here is an install manual for the 1000.4 antenna.

http://manuals.solidsignal.com/D1000...signal-com.pdf

On pages 10 and 11, the diagram shows how to hook up the cable/wire.
I have the 211 receiver and use only one cable to connect to the antenna I do not have three cables and junctions. I don't remember which one it connects to on the LNB. (I don't know/understand how it connects to one and reads all three, but it does). I guess I could check which one I am actually connected to.....

At the back of the manual, you can look up your zipcode to see what elevation and azimuth for eastern and western settings. Then look at your location to determine whether you should go with the eastern or western arch satellite. These settings will have to be fine tuned.

I move around a lot and have both LNB's. This summer I'm heading out west and may use the western one.

Also, I purchased my receiver and antenna from a independent store. They signed me up for pay-as-you-go service.

Also, I think the 1000.2 antenna will only work for the western arch.
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I bought my receiver "211z" and tailgater from a ebay seller for under $300.00.
I called dish and had it authorized in minutes and satellite TV in under 15.

You don't have to buy it from dish.

Cheapest I can find right now.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...427465&alt=web

Keep watching ebay you'll find on cheaper.

For the little bit extra cash outlay go with the tailgater!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

You may want to look at the Vip211K receiver, it has connections the Vip211Z does not have. I bought the Z version from CW and took it back. The Z may be fine for your application.
rsimonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimonton View Post
You may want to look at the Vip211K receiver, it has connections the Vip211Z does not have. I bought the Z version from CW and took it back. The Z may be fine for your application.
Coax input is all I see different

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Only needed if going into a coax matrix switcher. They also said it "works" better than the Z, but that may be an urban legend.
rsimonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

About the pay as you go. We have it and like it pretty well,but seems dish CS isn't up on it very well don't know if we have the plan the right way but works for us. We can call ahead of time and change the physical address and get local channels for that area we are camping in. It works for us.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
About the pay as you go. We have it and like it pretty well,but seems dish CS isn't up on it very well don't know if we have the plan the right way.
Not following?

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

We have Dish Network at home and we have a VIP211K in the camper and use a tailgater. I purchased the VIP211k and got it activated by Dish. When the camper is at home we hook it up to a regular dish with no problems. The Vip211 in the camper is active 12 months a year and that costs me $7/month. (We have visitors who stay in the camper and it works out well that way.) Check Craigslist to see if someone has a DISH sat antenna for sale and figure out how to set it up if you are stationary and you will be the winner. Purchase a VIP211k for $89 from Installer Oasis.com and you will rock.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

Just to reaffirm what others have said, there is no advantage to buying directly from Dish if you find a better value elsewhere. I will also add that you can replicate the coax out that is missing on the "z" with a simple cheap av to coax converter. They are dirt cheap and most likely you won't even use that functionality. I only mention that because the "k" can be harder to find and while I agree it might have one advantage...it is nothing to lose sleep over.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote