Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #1

Another option for hauling bikes - For SUVs

I added an Allen Trunk Mounted bike rack to the rear of my Excursion. The Ex is a little tall making is a bit of a chore to load the bikes, but it's manageable. I believe this bike rack is actually designed for a car, so it is angled up a little higher compared to the design for an SUV. I actually like it since it keeps the bikes from contacting the propane tanks too much.

These pictures are with my kid's bikes, they are completely clear of the TT and propane. If I put my bike with 26" tires up there, it will rub the tanks a little at a full turn backing up, but that's rare and hasn't caused any issues.

I tried researching this some before installing it, but didn't come up with anything. So, here's some pictures if anyone is interested in another way to carry your bikes, that isn't hanging off the back bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190414_151256.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	201795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190414_151309.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	201797  
mamcgoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

That looks pretty slick.
I tried something similar last year (when we used our highwall Rockwood pop-up) but it didn't work. Hitch extenders didn't work either.

If I had a larger SUV like the Excursion, I think it would have worked for sure.

Thanks for sharing.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

My neighbor added the hitch in the link to his TT and has worked out great for them.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...xoC2SEQAvD_BwE
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Looks like a great option for those that have this type of vehicle.

My only concern, and I can’t see the detail of how it mounts.....

Please tell me the carrier isn’t bracing itself on the glass of the rear hatch.
I’ve seen enough about sunroofs exploding for no reason, and I can’t believe there wouldn’t be significant stress on the mount given our bumpy roads these days.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Front Receiver

We put a front 2" Curtis receiver on our 2002 Lincoln Navigator and it works great. Then of you want to add accessories you can use a winch, or kayak Carrier, or bigger bike rack, or.....
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

I have one of those and I can use it on the front grill of the 350 SD. The bottom of bike rack sits on the top of the front bumper. You can use the top straps on the back edge of the hood or open the hood and clip on the top of the grill frame. That way you can open the hood if you need to without taking the bikes off.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

You need to bump those numbers up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mlbikes.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	202049  
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
My only concern, and I can’t see the detail of how it mounts.....

Please tell me the carrier isn’t bracing itself on the glass of the rear hatch.
It has 8 points of contact with the truck (6 straps and two padded bars). However the majority of the weight is supported by the top two straps that hook onto the rear hatch door. A decent amount of weight is transferred to the upper padded bar, which rests on the glass. The bottom padded bar is isn't on the glass, but also doesn't carry much weight.

Of course, this all depends on your vehicle, as to where the supports rest. I've towed this probably a few thousand miles so far, and haven't had an issue yet, but it has worried me as well. I'm sure if it busts the window it'll be while I'm in the middle of nowhere and it's pouring rain.

The only real problem I've had with it so far was when I tried to go through a drive through pizza joint. It was one where you go through a garage type door, and I forgot I had the (empty) rack back there. It hit the door, bent the rack down, and got tangled up with some of their refrigerant lines. Luckily everything came out with little more than some scratches.... OOPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson15 View Post
You need to bump those numbers up
That's a great setup! I usually have my bike up there too. My kids range from 10yo-4mos. So, I see me adding more in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I have one of those and I can use it on the front grill of the 350 SD. The bottom of bike rack sits on the top of the front bumper. You can use the top straps on the back edge of the hood or open the hood and clip on the top of the grill frame. That way you can open the hood if you need to without taking the bikes off.
That's a great idea! If you have any pictures of your setup, I'd really appreciate it.

I have never seen that and didn't realize you could put it on the front. I might give that a try. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190414_151309-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	202058  
mamcgoron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike