Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #11

Nice work... I like the night stand mod as well... Hopefully next week I will about to get the drawer made, and maybe a few others....

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #12

Husband not handy with wood (He's a welder). If you could give a little hint on how you did the night stand boy would it be very appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to put adjustable shelves in the what I call the broom closet. If anyone has suggestion. Your mods look great

Live 4 Camping

Nites Camped 2011 - 10
riwdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #13

I believe the Grey Wolf is a lower end, cost wise, trailer so something has to go to keep the price and weight down. Our comparison missed what it was - it's not the structure so I'm happy.

What's missing? Well, the silverware drawer, doors or drawers to access under the dinette (saw them on higher priced competition), light switches on the walls (all are on the ceiling fixtures - notice this the first night out when my 7 year old daughter needed to use the bathroom after we went to bed and could not reach the lights!), and there are blank outs on the nightstands as well - add a 'floor' to the closet and make it door or drawer and it would be more efficient.
Also, on the cab over the bed and sink there is hold open on the doors, a minor thing for sure, but it would be nice.
Oh, and the water heater is manual start gas only. You can get a low-wattage electrical add in for ~$100 from camping world (and other sources). Why? Well, the pilot lite likes to blow out in the rain and wind so you'll wake up to no hot water.

But these are minor annoyances and most can be rectified somewhat easily, as opposed to upping the structure or something that would be impossible. I also assume that the fabrics, floor coverings, etc are lower grade and won't last as long as more expensive model TT would have in them, but if we use out TT 3 weeks a year for 10 years that's only 6 months of real use and most anything should hold up that long.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by riwdfw View Post
Husband not handy with wood (He's a welder). If you could give a little hint on how you did the night stand boy would it be very appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to put adjustable shelves in the what I call the broom closet. If anyone has suggestion. Your mods look great
something like this Richards Homewares West Hills 6 Shelf Sweater Organizer - Chocolate - Closet Organizers at Closet Organizer Source and you can just cut off what's too long to fit.

I got a hard plastic one at a yardsale a few years back that works like hangng shelves, hung from the clothes bar. I put one in the back bunk closet and one in a front bedroom closet - we're not much on using hangars for clothes when camping, but a shelf or two for jeans, shirts and towels is handy!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #15

i carefully removed the side panel(side that touches the mattress) and removed the screws that are inside to hold the top on. i then built up the inside with pine 1 by 2 so that i could line the inside with panelling. i cut the counter top about 2" from the back and attached a piano hinge between the two halves. i then reattched the 2" section to the night stand and installed the friction support to hold the lid open.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #16

skidoonut,
Thank you. Told husband about it last night. Thought it was a good idea. Will for sure tell him how you did it.

Live 4 Camping

Nites Camped 2011 - 10
riwdfw is offline   Reply With Quote