Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Any one do cool mods this winter?

Any cool mods out there this winter. I have been slacking off on mine, wanting to put solar panels on the roof and weld up a custom storage bumper, but aside from that, I would love to see some recent mods and get some interior ideas, as mine will have to be put off until weather is better.

Pics pics pics
Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Yuuup. Not all completed, but am about to get back to them after the holiday season. Will post some pics and info. when done. Only bought our new TT in late summer and only used it twice, but we're in love.... Being a builder type, can't resist doing improvements. Have collected all the needed parts so it's time to get to work on:

1. Installing a 2-stage water filter setup under the dinette seat beside the sink - a sediment filter and carbon-activated one.
2. A blue LED panel meter to monitor the 120 volt campground power. To be recessed in the wall beside the elec. panel.
3. Vinyl laminate flooring. Thin and flexible so should work out well.
4. Flip-up counter extension at one end of kit. counter.
5. 19" flat screen TV with built-in DVD player. Mounting it on an articulating arm that locks for travelling (Camping World item). Am making a special mount to attach to the end of the kit. cab. so that it will flip 180 degrees to view from either the dinette or bed. We're getting some wedge pilows so we can sit up okay in bed.
6. Fixing the stupid factory built wonky table legs. Bought one of those fold-out legs and alloy bracket to attach to wall.
7. Getting a cabinet shop to make up some doors to match the existing ones. There are some really stupid dead spaces in the kit. cabinets and over the bed. Will punch out the plywood panels that are there now and install the new doors along with some new shelving. Every cubic inch of accessible space is valuable.
8. Installing piano hinges on the plywood under the foam cushions on the dinette seats. Am trimming and resizing the ply. as needed to clear the back cushion and countertop.
9. Curtain around the queen bed (walkaround type). Bought some alum. track with roller thingies to hang the curtain. This will give us some privacy when needed and also will darken the sleeping area if one of us wants to nap during the day.
10. Adding towel bars in the bathroom. Mounting them wall to wall using metal oval closet rod. Had to hunt around to find oil-rubbed bronze (internet).
11. Adding some plywood shelving in 2 upper cabinets. Am doing it to look like it came that way from the factory. (No wire basket shelving, eg.).
12. Custom made and sized piece of counter top to go over the stove burner. Want to make it full counter depth if possible but need to figure out where to hide it when the stove is needed.
13. Towel bar at end of kitchen counter. Am going to use oil-rubbed bronze closet rod to match hardware and plumbing fittings in the TT.
14. A small item, but very useful - a flashlight holder. It took a while to find a suitable one - a Tow-rax one.

Whew.... Now that I've listed it all, I seem to have made myself busy until the camping season starts. I know there's more we'd like to do, but this is the stuff we really wanted to get done for the spring. Also have some things to do to our truck.

The electric ceiling heater I recently installed is working great and it's no problem to work in the trailer over the winter.

Now - where to put the hot tub??
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Funny you should ask

We are preparing for the annual ice fishing tournament in a few weeks and have plans to ready the camper.

We'll make sure the dual 6 volt batteries are topped off with distilled H2O.
Fill the propane bottles (and an extra one)
Charge the batteries.
We'll modify the bench seat so the propane hose for the RVQ can run into the seating area where we will place the Olympian Wave 3 heater.
Install another Carbon Monoxide detector - can't be too safe with this stuff...
Buy some more pink fluid for "hand flushing"
Oh, and tune up the Honda 2K generator.
Finally, we plan on purchasing a couple of LED replacement lights. Thence our camper will be fully lit by LED's inside and out (porch light not the running lights).

Can't wait to get out and do some fishin'
It is just a very big job to prepare for winter fishing/camping.

When spring approaches, we plan on installing the TV mount. Darn factory did not permanently install our TV in the RV.

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #4

I probably would not call these "cool" modifications, but on my very soon to do list: install Maxxair vent covers, install crossbar/pull bar on screen doors, install Plexiglas over screened area of screen doors. In addition, I am contemplating adding Wingman to the television antenna.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

I do not like the valances, curtains and mini blinds that came with my trailer, I will be pulling all out, I will custom build some would valances with a classic wooden curtain rod, my wife is going to make new curtains and we will do away the the miniblinds all together.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

New shelves

Adding shelves to two wardrobe closets since we never hang anything up. And adding some roll out shelves to areas that are hard to reach.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

My last step in winterizing is to cover the unit, so my winter modifications are limited to what I can do in my basement workshop or just planning, ordering parts, and preparing Spring mods....

Last winter, I planned my my roof mounted solar installation, which if I do say so, came out very nicely! You can read about it at this link, if interested. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-14096.html

Lots of good ideas on this forum for mods, so shop around, and see what others have done, when compared to YOUR interests! One of our big mods was the installation of a wine rack, as we love to visit wineries (and consume the products) while camping. Recently, though, I've seen some great mods where folks (obviously not wine drinkers!) have removed wine racks and turned that area into more useful storage for them! So it's a very personal decision, as to what mods you want.

Also, check out this forum: Forums About RV Mods, Modifications, Parts, Tips, and Tech | ModMyRV . It's all about mods, and has lots of great ideas.

Have fun!!!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

My very first mod

I already had a dvd player in my TV with 2 alternate inputs so I went on ebay and found this little full color, all weather camera. I tapped it into the lights so whenever the lights are on, I can see behind me at any time if my DW changes the inputs. It has a great range on it and I can see the bumper on the camper so I can back it up really well

This is my very first mod so I am pretty happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Mod rear view camera.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	10077  
Nights camped in 2011 = 17
Nights camped in 2012 = 4, 10 more planned
Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

We changed the complete layout of our TT and ended up with a 5'er .............. Sorry I can't wait!!!!
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

The past 2 seasons brought mods to our TT that many others have already done, or their trailers already have them installed. I've installed a rear ladder, water pump silencer, Cyclone plumbing vents on both black/grey tanks, Tornado Tank Rinser, Wingman, brushed nickel pull out spray faucet for the kitchen sink(from Lowes), & oxygenics shower spray head. When the TT comes out of storage this spring, my to-do list includes a Winegard SensarPro TV Signal Meter, the air conditioning mod to improve the air-flow out of the vents(thanks to this forum), and Gila heat blocking film for the windows(also from Lowes). We love our trailer with what we had already, but these few mods have really made a difference in comfort & maintenance. Each camping trip has me thinking of ways to improve our fun-time!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #11

Took the Forest River Label off the side of my Rockwood and now I have less things falling apart
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

What's the air conditioner mod you're talking about?
Thanks
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #13

Well it's already finished but just a few weeks ago. Took some plywood and used it to increase the size of the beds platform. Why, well to accomadate the Sleep number matress I installed. Placed the compressor unit under the platform in storage area and drilled holes at head for the air lines and lil velco tape on each side to hold the controllers. The wife loves me again when we travel...lol
r8er4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #14

So far.....Maxxair Turbo max fan, Winegard wingman, new slim line LED 32" tv.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #15

In the process of sending coax cables to the bed room and living room TV areas for my HD DVR boxes. Plus I am going to be adding two more scissors style jacks to stabilize the center of the fiver. That is enough for this year.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #16

i took out my water filter and added this

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #17

i also added the railing above the cabinet and took out the two blank pannels one above and one to the left of the microwave and added the wine rack and another cabinet

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn
In the process of sending coax cables to the bed room and living room TV areas for my HD DVR boxes. Plus I am going to be adding two more scissors style jacks to stabilize the center of the fiver. That is enough for this year.
Where are you sending the coax? I want to do something similar, rear bedroom and front bedroom. Trying to figure out where to run the cable.
spinningbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #19

Spinningbull: I recently ran a coax from one end of our trailer to the opposite side and forward about 12' or so. I ran the cable through a storage compartment into the fridge cavity (after pulling it out) and then up into the ceiling. Getting through the ceiling was the trickiest part. It's hard to tell where they installed crossmembers between the trusses so you can't count on a clear path in the "attic" space. I removed the trim around the bathroom fan which gave me good hand space to manouver the cable. I cut a hole in the ceiling behind the microwave for another access point. I could not get a cable across the trailer for anything even though it looked fine. Then I removed a factory pancake light and used the little hole in the ceiling as an access point to fish the cable across.

Every make and model of RV is different and has it's unique challenges to installing new wire/cable. You have to put your thinking cap on and find creative ways to fish the cable around. You can get in/under a bathtub, kitchen cabinets, storage spaces, etc. Since you can't drill down a top plate in an exterior wall like in a house, you *could* install a cove molding to get it from the ceiling to wall.

Alternatively, you could go under the trailer in spots. If you have the black fabric underneath, there's repair tape you can get if you want to cut a small hole for access.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
i also added the railing above the cabinet and took out the two blank pannels one above and one to the left of the microwave and added the wine rack and another cabinet
Love the wine rack - don't forget to take the bottles out when moving...