Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #21

Haven't had any rattle issue with my travel trailer hitch, but my hitch like the one in video above did rattle. I took my MIG welder and ran a bead down 2 adjoining sides of the hitch shaft and then ground down the beads until the hitch could slide into the receiver. No more rattle.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
ME

WOW three pages now of a way to solve a hitch from rattling? I have one very similar to the one in the video BUT mine screwed into the tongue portion (the square tube) and locked! I could not read the name of who makes it anymore as it is painted over and rusted (and very dark) but worked like a charm!

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Softride-25219.../dp/B000T5BI8Y
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #23

Rattling Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
I can see that this will eliminate the horizontal movement but would it stop the up and down movement.
It stops all movement both side to side and up & down. If it does happen to come loose again, you simply loosen the locknut and tighten the bolt and set the lock nut again. Very simple, cheap and beats anything you can buy. Have used this method for over 35 yrs on at least 7 different tow vehicles and all sorts of trailers from utility trailers, race car trailers and rv trailers.
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #24

Hitch Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1032 View Post
WOW three pages now of a way to solve a hitch from rattling? I have one very similar to the one in the video BUT mine screwed into the tongue portion (the square tube) and locked! I could not read the name of who makes it anymore as it is painted over and rusted (and very dark) but worked like a charm!

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Softride-25219.../dp/B000T5BI8Y
Those types will not work on solid shank hitches, only hollow ones and if you are pulling an rv trailer of any size and are using a hollow shank, you are asking for trouble. Been there, done that and have been bitten.
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #25

Hitch type

I would like to add to this and bring up the type of hitchs that are being used.
There are different types of hitchs and they have class ratings, I had a 1997 3/4 ton GMC Suburban, the Suburban had a "Class IV Receive" on it and my hitch fit snug, but on my 2008 Heavy Duty Chevy 1/2 ton it came with a "Class III Receiver" and the same hitch used is sloppy. I have pic of the two different hitches but not able to post them at this time. For those that have sloppy hitches you most likely have a "Class III Receiver" and this condition seem to be normal.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #26

I will not bring up the P/U truck hitches that have a 21/2 x 2 adaptor that comes in the new trucks! When used,doulble rattle!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #27

I like the hitch sticking out. It's the first defense for people hitting my truck at drive thru lanes LOL.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I will not bring up the P/U truck hitches that have a 21/2 x 2 adaptor that comes in the new trucks! When used,doulble rattle!! Youroo!!
What you are talking about is the new design for a "Class IV receiver on a 3/4 ton, the old design has a welded insert from the factory.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote