Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Lightbulb can be useful when looking for satellite co-ordinates. I've used it when camping in OH & IN.

2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Hello: We use our Directv dish all the time when camping. I went to Ebay and bought a dish for $ 10. brand new, it's the 18in. I take one of the boxes I have at home. Not the High def box, just the normal one. I mounted the dish on a Camera Tripod that I had and it works great. I got a compass and signal meter from radio shack. I think it was about 15 bucks and it works great. Just have to take your time setting it up, then I stake it down or weigh it down once I got the signal. But check Ebay, there's tons of them for sale. I guess the simple dishes are a dime a dozen now a days. good luck.

TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #13

The dish I use for DishNetwork aims at 3 satellites at one time, thus a tad bit harder to tweak...

Good luck
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #14

We have two receivers for our Direct TV here at home and added a dish in our other Rockwood and had Camping word in Masa AZ. mount and hook up the dish on our roof. You push a button inside the camper and the dish goes up and finds 5 sattelites and locks onto the best three. It's so easy and worth the expense to have it hooked up.
When we traded the Rockwood for the Cedar Creek 5th wheel, our dealer where we ordered switch the DTV dish to the CC roof top and now turn it on and push the button and it's up and going.
We have three receivers now and one is mobile and it's great.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley BD-3 Trailer Saver. F R O G members.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Yes, you can use your brother's "extra" receiver. DirecTV has no way of knowing where that receiver is, unless you plug it into a phone line. Leave it plugged into the phone line at the brothers house, but keep it unplugged while camping. The Sat service is one way, so they can't tell.

Now, if your personal ethics stop you from doing this, well, that's a different problem that I'm not qualified to help with.

2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PowerStroke 3.73 gears
1993 E-350 Super Club Wagon 351W, E4OD, 4.11 LS rear (named Clifford)(Retired)
2010 Salem 30QBSS
1 DW, 1 DD, 3xDS's
RedLance is offline   Reply With Quote