Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Always Learning

Anyone ever build a camper?

Many moons ago, I got the idea that I was going to build a kayak for my daughter. I didn't like most of the manufactured options and the ones that I did like were prohibitively expensive. So, I found an online guide (Yostwerks Kayak Building Manuals - Homebuilt kayaks by Thomas Yost), bought some tools, and built a boat out of wood with a cloth covering for her:

I enjoyed it so much and wanted a true sea kayak for myself. Cheapness won and I built a second boat for myself. The second build was fraught with challenges and mistakes, but it was fun none the less.

After that, the garage turned itself back into a garage and stopped being a workshop.

Lately, I've got the hankering that I want to build something again and, of course, I'm thinking of a small camper of some sort...

Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

You might like this video....

I have heard of building a tear drop but this is another level. In retrospect....its exactly how ours are built you just never think of it as a DIY project.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Always Learning

Yeah, I've seen that Chad's Project video. Heck of an impressive undertaking- especially to pull it off so elegantly.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Not sure I would want to tackle a complete build, but I have taken my son to a couple of Tin Can Tourist rallies. I think finding an old canned ham, Airstream or other vintage trailer for a restoration project would be a great project. We have seen some amazing restoration work at the rallies.

Or maybe instead of a true-to-the-original restoration, a resto-mod to steal the concept from the car guys. Keep the vintage exterior and put all the modern amenities inside. With a solid trailer to start with there should be minimal frame and structural work which simplifies things. Still a big project though.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?
Didn't build a trailer, but did build a slide in for an El Camino in 1986 which is still being used.
Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Homemade pop up for an 81 El Camino
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway camping - Bella Vista, AR.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	42281  
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Always Learning

Pretty neat, OC. I know you mentioned it before, but didn't think of it now.

Looks like most of what I'm finding online are either folks building Tear Drop or mini-"bugout caravans" (as people seem to call them).

I guess I gotta figure out what I want first.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy...

The Wayzalot Exterior Photos Album

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

I haven't done it, but I'm thinking very seriously about building my next toy hauler out of a 5th wheel utility trailer. I'll need to settle down and find work again before I start, of course.

Since most of the trailers on the market are made out of little more than paper and wishes only to disintegrate and fail, I think I can do much better.
wantahertzdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut View Post
I haven't done it, but I'm thinking very seriously about building my next toy hauler out of a 5th wheel utility trailer. I'll need to settle down and find work again before I start, of course.

Since most of the trailers on the market are made out of little more than paper and wishes only to disintegrate and fail, I think I can do much better.
From personal experience figure a high cost and then double it. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

I was thinking about it found plans from Glenn-L and bought plans for their ponderosa fifth wheel just never had the time with work and all still have the plans but at my age I think it might be impossible now oh well!

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

one of my neighbors took a pop up camper, turned it sideways on a gooseneck trailer and uses it when he goes jeeping or atving. cheap toy hauler.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
one of my neighbors took a pop up camper, turned it sideways on a gooseneck trailer and uses it when he goes jeeping or atving. cheap toy hauler.
Thats actually a pretty good idea, not that id do it, or my wife and kids anywhere near such a thing, but love the ingenuity of it!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

it actually turned out pretty good. not factory appearing, but the money saved finances trips to colorado, utah and the hatfield/mccoy trails.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
Always Learning

A buddy of mine claims he wants to take a school bus, hack the back roof off for enough to have an open area for his off-road jeep and then finish the rest of it as a living area. He's generally full of smack, but seems like a good idea for what he wants it for.

*edited: "back" to "hack".
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A buddy of mine claims he wants to take a school bus, back the back roof off for enough to have an open area for his off-road jeep and then finish the rest of it as a living area. He's generally full of smack, but seems like a good idea for what he wants it for.
Wow you got rednecks up there? I though they were supposed to be down this a way
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Wow you got rednecks up there? I though they were supposed to be down this a way
Oh yes- he's redneck, really redneck! Love him to death in spite of it!

Tags
camper