Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Anyone ever pull the dashboard apart on a Chevy Express chassis?

Just got a new Forester on a Chevy Express cutaway chassis. I want to add some USB ports in the dashboard. I saw in the owner's manual that Chevy offered a double USB port as an option in the dash so I figured I'd get the OEM part and install it. Only thing is I can't figure out how to get the dash apart to get at the little square section that the USB port mounts in.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #2

I'm going to assume that this is a late model Express van. The first thing to do is remove the knee bolster and bracket and drop the steering column, you can find this procedure in any repair manual. The next thing is there are a minimum of 7 friction clips that hold the dash panel in place, depending on the year there might be a few screws that will be visable, remove those and then simply grab the dash panel on one side and GENTLY pull on it, you will feel the clips release. The next is there will be a few wiring harness connected to the panel, release all the connectors and remove the panel. As for adding the new USB ports I would advise talking to a dealership and ask if the BCM (body control module) needs to be flashed (reprogramed) in order for the ports to be activated. I would do this step first.
Yooper mom troll dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Thanks. It is a late model Express (4500). I have found out that you need the upgraded GM radio for the included USB wiring to work. I think I'm going to the marine supply store and get a double USB plug from them and wire it into the fuse box. I started experimenting the other day and found out that the small square sections on the lower dashboard pop right out with a bit of pressure, then snap right back into place.
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote