Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Im still waiting on the ones from China I ordered........still waiting !! lol
If you don't mind me asking BigRed, what light, from which place or seller and when did you order your lights?

I'm looking to order from one or two Ebay sellers for my Shamrock to be picked up later this May and I want to get a handle on how long its taking in case I need to order now. Thanks

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #22

Quote:
I have the 300 lumin Revolution............its not going to meet your needs! Im still waiting on the ones from China I ordered........still waiting !! lol
you have to be kidding me!! you must must MUST keep me posted on your bulbs. what did you order from china?

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #23

ok big red, i will have to throw the BS flag on you saying the 300 lumen revolution bulb isnt as good as a regular 1156 bulb. today the lovely USPS gal brought me my revolution LEDs.... i couldnt wait for it to get dark! i thought i would start out on the short end of the stick and try the 200 lumen in the outside porch light assembly (with the yellow lens). this bulb was similar to the 1156 bulb. its too close to call which is brighter between an 1156 regular bulb and 200 lumen revolution bulb. so for those of you looking for a direct replacement.....this should do the trick. but for a few bucks more you could have the 300 lumen. i tried this bulb next. this baby puts off some light! even behind the yellow lens of the porch light, this bulb lights things up! i am very impressed and happy i ordered them.

it tried both bulb inside the camper as well. the 200 lumens are good for all practical purposes. i wouldnt spend the extra money for the 300 lumen bulbs for the interior.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #24
AKA Indiana Jones

Has anybody looked his stuff over yet? LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles
I used a couple of his "pad" type replacements, and they're pretty bright.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Villa Estate 392FLFB

oww, 300 bucks + shipping to do just the ceiling lights in my rig!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #26

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
The order from China takes from 3-5 weeks. ( I have ordered T-10,5 to 25 SMD- LED barrel lights and T-10, 4 to 42 flat panel SMD-LED's varying colors)----To Bocephous; I dont believe you have to call me out. I was basing my comment on your previous LED bulb experience, Based only on the lumens you said they gave out. You said the 36-LED place wasnt bright enough.(Now I have the 36 and 24(White-6000u to 6500u) T-10 panel lights in my camper) I thought they were very,very bright. You my friend said they werent! I was trying to give you some help. I have Startlight Revolution 150,200 and 300(White -6500u). I just asumed you were using the the same- upon closer look at your pictures (36-LED) your purchase was of one of the older LED lights that look like little bulbs, The ones I've been talking about look like little square panels with a yellowish circle in them. I'm sorry you took me as BSing you, I wasnt, was trying to keep you from ordering more sight un-seen from china @ 300 lumen range since you were unhappy with the 250 lumen LED you had already. My brightness and your brightness (based on you stating the 250 wasnt bright enough) the 300 wasnt going to help you. Added that some friends of mine that have seen the LED's I have dont think they are bright enough for outside even though, i thought they gave off just as much light. I also am having a problem down-loading pictures to the forum or I would have added them so we were comparing apples to apples. So to the OP, I would order them soon,like yesterday if you want them in May.-- Also as a note there are color ranges you can purchase LED's in, Some people like the Bright crisp White light and other's as for reading like the soft yellowish light(Warm White) that most incandesent lights give out. Bottom Line- you weren't using SMD-LED's and I thought you were, I didnt click on your all your links!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #27

I just posted my results with LEDs on interior light on this thread, post #72

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ults-9233.html
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #28

toshu........a picture tells the story. You purchased the warm white panel(36). The White-is even brighter than the warm white, but gives everything a blue-ish White tint color where as the warm white gives off a more natural color. I can get my %$##@ computer to share a link or a picture.......dont know what im doing wrong! Computer is only as smart as its operator.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
toshu........a picture tells the story. You purchased the warm white panel(36). The White-is even brighter than the warm white, but gives everything a blue-ish White tint color where as the warm white gives off a more natural color. I can get my %$##@ computer to share a link or a picture.......dont know what im doing wrong! Computer is only as smart as its operator.
use a photo hosting web site such as photobucket.com. its free and easy. up load your pics, and it automatically gives you a link to copy and paste into any forum

Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #30

Thanks (Bocephus)....I'll give that a try,didnt mean to give wrong impression(Revolution-300) about LED's.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
well i have a 300 lumen LED bulb on the way......if that doesnt work then i will get ready to throw in the towel.

and yes....i have an LED addiction too. earlier this week i just got done changing over all the clearance light assemblies and tail light assemblies over to all LED with clear housings. my 5th wheel looks really clean now. next time i have 'er hooked up to go out camping ill have to snap some pics to post. it looks GREAT at night....especially the rear. 5 clearance assemblies up along the roof and 2 long 15x1.5 inch led tails.
Mmmmm, yeah. Did that too, all my clearance lights have been done. I used coloured lenses though, I just like the look that way. Did the stop/tail lights too along with an LED license plate light. Now, just last weekend I changed the trailer back up lights to extemely bright Grote LED units. Way better visibility when backing up at night now. I also put in switches by the door to turn on the clearance and/or reverse lights when parked for a little camp ground ambiance or added light behind the trailer. Of course, that's not something that I had to do, but darn it looks cool at night.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #32

that's a good idea! i was thinking about adding some reverse lights as well, but never thought about adding the ability to turn them on via switch. awwww when does this lighting addition quit??? i think my ol' lady is about ready to ring my neck! (especially after she saw the invoice for the 200 and 300 lumen revolution led's i bought)

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #33

Try RVGLOW.com for $19.99 It attaches to your 7-pin plug and will turn on your running lights at night !! Cool looking at night.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #34
AKA Indiana Jones

Quote:
Try RVGLOW.com for $19.99 It attaches to your 7-pin plug and will turn on your running lights at night !! Cool looking at night.
A #552 flasher installed in the top two pins in the umbilical connector will cause all your running lights to flash. It's great for the holidays, or if you're at a rally and want to find your trailer. It's also very useful should you ever need to unhook and leave your trailer on the side of the road to get your tow vehicle repaired.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
BigRed,
I just added the pictures to an album I created on this site, then linked them for the post.....yes a picture is worth at least a buck fifty...that why I took some and posted them
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #36

Quote:
so i am on an LED kick lately.... the one light assembly that i cannot get to perform well with an LED bulb is the yellow porch light right over the main door. has anyone had any luck with this conversion?!
I've am VERY happy with this one:

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white

I have the cool white, which is super bright.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandArlene View Post
I've am VERY happy with this one:

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white

I have the cool white, which is super bright.
the lumen rating on that bulb is very impressive. i do have two concerns though...

1. i wonder if this is a cheaper "entry level" bulb. just like everything today, you can you find a cheap version of whatever you want. for instance, i am into car audio.... most reputable companies under rate their amplifiers a little bit. a 1000 watt amp may actually put out between 1100-1200 watts. however, there are some cheap "walmart brand" amps that are rated at 1000w that if tested only put out 700-800 watts. im not saying this light is over rated.....its just something that popped into my head when seeing the price of it verses other bulbs with similar light output

2. is the light output of a round bulb measured the same as the light output in a flat bulb (such as the revolution bulbs i just installed, or the flat panel assemblies with 20-30 led's). with the flat units all of the light is concentrated, or focused, in one direction. with round bulbs, such as the bulb you are talking about, the light is being "emitted" in all directions. so are you actually getting 300 lumens of light from every angle of the bulb? or is this rating a sum of readings from each angle of the bulb (for example, does the bulb put out 75 lumens from the top, bottom, and both sides). this adds up to 300 lumens total.

i dont know if that makes sense to any of you.........i think i may have even confused myself lol. anyways....just food for thought i guess.

bobandarlene, i may have order one of these bulbs to see how i like it. i already have the "revolution" leds that i like, but at almost 30 dollars for a 300 lumen bulb, id go broke outfitting my whole camper with them

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the lumen rating on that bulb is very impressive. i do have two concerns though...

1. i wonder if this is a cheaper "entry level" bulb. just like everything today, you can you find a cheap version of whatever you want. for instance, i am into car audio.... most reputable companies under rate their amplifiers a little bit. a 1000 watt amp may actually put out between 1100-1200 watts. however, there are some cheap "walmart brand" amps that are rated at 1000w that if tested only put out 700-800 watts. im not saying this light is over rated.....its just something that popped into my head when seeing the price of it verses other bulbs with similar light output

2. is the light output of a round bulb measured the same as the light output in a flat bulb (such as the revolution bulbs i just installed, or the flat panel assemblies with 20-30 led's). with the flat units all of the light is concentrated, or focused, in one direction. with round bulbs, such as the bulb you are talking about, the light is being "emitted" in all directions. so are you actually getting 300 lumens of light from every angle of the bulb? or is this rating a sum of readings from each angle of the bulb (for example, does the bulb put out 75 lumens from the top, bottom, and both sides). this adds up to 300 lumens total.

i dont know if that makes sense to any of you.........i think i may have even confused myself lol. anyways....just food for thought i guess.
You hit the nail on the head, Bocephus. I'd say they are probably estimates and probably optimistic estimates at that unless they are using ANSI FL-1 standards.

I am into LED flashlights and one of the members on a board I visit tests a lot of lights. He describes the problem of comparing lumens this way (here's the link to his site if interested).

My suggestion to you is to ignore the manufacturer's light output ratings on almost any light you buy. They don't all use the same standard for measuring "lumens" even though they use the same unit. They never tell you how they arrived at the number of "lumens" they advertise and no two manufacturers may use the same method. As a result, the lumen figure between two manufacturers really isn't comparable. For example are the numbers they give...
...the "lumens" of the bare bulb using the flashlight power supply?
...the "lumens" of the bare bulb using a laboratory power supply?
...the "lumens" coming out the end of the flashlight?
...the predicted maximum "lumens" of the bulb that the manufacturer claims based solely on mathmatics and not real-world tests?
...the estimated "lumens" of the bulb that they calculated out for the most optimal condition of the power supply in their flashlight?

So, I am not sure how much help this will be but I guess the point is that we should not expect "lumens" to tell us a lot except as a comparison between the same lights from the same manufacturer. And even that is questionable.

Just more food for thought.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #39

I tried some of the flat panel LEDs, and the fact that the lights what somewhat "focused" is what annoyed me about their appearance.... you basically had a hot spot of light in the lens, as opposed to the lens being filled with light like from an incandescent lamp.

When I found the round style LEDs, I liked them and bought more. The 360 degrees of illumination takes advantage of the back surfaces of the light fixture, reflecting light off it just like an incandescent lamp does, and fills the lens with light.

Friends thought I was nuts when I told them I was running LEDs... they didn't believe me, because all they had ever seen was the flat panel style.

In fact one friend has a neighbor who organized some sort of a "group buy" type of thing with the LED Vendor and they set up special pricing for that brand of RV. If that type of thing is allowed here, I could check in to it with the LED Vendor.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #40

well bobandarlene, i suppose ill just have to do what i have been doing with all my other bulbs.....buy a couple and see what they're like lol.

i have tried the automotive style round LED bulbs (1156 style) and they are VERY sub-par compared to the normal incandescent bulbs. these, however, are designed for tail lights and turn signals.....but for $5 a piece, i figured it was at least worth a shot, right?

like i already posted, i really do like my revolution bulbs. the 300 lumens are great for exterior lighting. the 200 lumens work great inside. they are, however, the bulbs that focus the light off of a flat panel. this is where you lose the effect of the regular incandescent bulbs scattering the light all around the room. the 200 revolutions are brighter than a regular 1156 bulb, but the light output is focused to one area.

the 200 revolutions and these round ones you posted above are very closely priced. i think before i pull the trigger on a bunch of the revolutions i will have to try one of these and see what its like.

damn.....why did i make this thread.....i makes me keep ordering these damn bulb lol. this will be my 5th different style of bulb. my ol lady already has me by the neck!