Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #1

anyone know about axle risers?

I have a 2004 Grand Surveyor and I have heard they make factory axle risers that can be installed to give 3" lift to my trailer. I have called 3 different dealers/service centers and they can't seem to find out anything about them. Can someone guide me to where I need to call?
Thanks,
Greg
gjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This has been discussed before on the forum. Does the Grand Surveyor have torflex axles?

I believe that the lift kit for torflex axles is from Dexter. Here's a link to their installation instructions... http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...x_Lift_Kit.pdf

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
This has been discussed before on the forum. Does the Grand Surveyor have torflex axles?

I believe that the lift kit for torflex axles is from Dexter. Here's a link to their installation instructions... http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...x_Lift_Kit.pdf

Dave
Thanks Dave, Can you tell me where I can call to order them? The installation looks like it is exactly what I need. Thanks, Greg
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's another install... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-44543-2.html

You should be able to order the kit from Dexter. Here's the link... Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Torflex Lift Kit

I think you'll need the know the horizontal and vertical hole spacing on your existing axle mount to get the correct lift kit.

Dave

Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #5

I just crawled under my camper to get some numbers off the axles, and I found out they are Al-Ko not Dexter. Any info on them?
Thanks. Greg
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

From what I can see from the Dexter installation instructions, the Al-Ko axles are mounted the same. I think the lift kit will work with either axle...a call to Dexter would tell you for sure.

Dave

Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

I also have a question about axle risers. I posted on a tech forum, but haven't received any kind of reply...I did specifically name another poster who had experience, but as the first spring trip nears, I'm feeling a bit panicky. How much clearance should there be between the tires and the deck of the wheel well above the tires? I have seen both 2" and 3" listed, but we have only 1 1/4" on the slide side and 1 3/4" on the curb side of our V Lite. There is no sign of wear on the wheel well, but I don't know if the trailer has always been this low to the tires, or if that is the result of multiple trips and the wear and tear of travel. BTW, the V Lite is a 30' FKSS with Al-KO torsion-flex axles. Any advice will be appreciated VERY much!

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Do you see any evidence of tire rub on the top of the wheel well? If you do, you probably don't have enough clearance and should consider the riser kit.

Dave

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA View Post
I also have a question about axle risers. I posted on a tech forum, but haven't received any kind of reply...I did specifically name another poster who had experience, but as the first spring trip nears, I'm feeling a bit panicky. How much clearance should there be between the tires and the deck of the wheel well above the tires? I have seen both 2" and 3" listed, but we have only 1 1/4" on the slide side and 1 3/4" on the curb side of our V Lite. There is no sign of wear on the wheel well, but I don't know if the trailer has always been this low to the tires, or if that is the result of multiple trips and the wear and tear of travel. BTW, the V Lite is a 30' FKSS with Al-KO torsion-flex axles. Any advice will be appreciated VERY much!
You should probably have almost 3 inchs between the top of the tire and the plastic liner on the wheel well. I had just enough room to get two fingers in there - about 1 to 1.5 inches, and the dealer said that wasn't enough room. After he installed the lift kit, I could put my entire fist between the tires and the wheel well lining...maybe 3 inches or a little more. Problem is, even if it doesn't rub under "normal" conditions, if you drive on roads that are particularly rough, and the trailer bounces quite a bit, you can get some intermittent rubbing.

Your 2012 C lite is basically the same trailer as our 2014 Windjammer, but I wasn't aware that the 2012's had a problem.

Good luck!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #10

Thank you SO much Capt. Mike! I thought that is what I had read regarding clearance, but couldn't find it anywhere once we had measured our clearance. Now I have some concrete information to take to our dealer and hopefully he can order the lift kit for us. We didn't think we had the problem with the 2012 either...until we measured the clearance. As there hasn't been any noticeable rubbing yet, we thought maybe the clearance was okay, but I kept remembering having read that there should be 2" to 3"...like your Windjammer, our V Lite clearances are less than 2" on all four tires...1.25 to 1.75 inches. Do you, by any chance, know if you have Al-KO axles or Dexter axles and if your dealer used a Dexter lift kit? Thank you again for your help!!!

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

Axle lift kit

Just a quick update. I called our dealer, Cherokee Camping Center in Iowa, about our wheel clearance...I was prepared to explain the problem in detail as I had read several posts about dealers not being aware of the problem, but after my initial explanation, I was happy to learn they are very aware of the problem. The parts manager ordered the kit and stated that this was a good "catch" because older units (-out of warranty, 2 years old and older) often don't find the problem until damage has been done....and not all units have the problem. So, thank you again for the help! Special thanks to Capt. Mike for the quick reply and taking the time to share the proper clearance and the importance of having that clearance!

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA View Post
Just a quick update. I called our dealer, Cherokee Camping Center in Iowa, about our wheel clearance...I was prepared to explain the problem in detail as I had read several posts about dealers not being aware of the problem, but after my initial explanation, I was happy to learn they are very aware of the problem. The parts manager ordered the kit and stated that this was a good "catch" because older units (-out of warranty, 2 years old and older) often don't find the problem until damage has been done....and not all units have the problem. So, thank you again for the help! Special thanks to Capt. Mike for the quick reply and taking the time to share the proper clearance and the importance of having that clearance!
Did you speak with Ron at "Cheyenne" ?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Axle lift kit

Actually I spoke to two gentlemen, I believe Ron was the gentleman who contacted Forest River for me and called back letting me know the kit was being ordered and should be here within a week.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

If you have 1" to 1-1/2" clearance now, I would think a 2" lift would be more than adequate.

Tags
axle