Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #21
PPST OGCDG

I have them on Our RV.

Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #22

Do not have slide toppers but hope to in the future. Sweep no way a good cheap blower from works just fine also blow's the water off.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Do not have slide toppers but hope to in the future. Sweep no way a good cheap blower from works just fine also blow's the water off.
used to do the same with a blower a lot easier if your not putting toppers on, the blower helps dry it out to before you bring water inside those top sweeps do not do a good job on that. Next best thing to toppers IMO. Bomb Doc got a good deal in Goshen. Either he or April where at the vendor building daily......
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #24

Been thinking about getting slide toppers. I can see the full benefits when I camp up north all summer under the trees. Like the idea of quieter when slide has the bed. BUT I'd like some input from those who camp down south in windy areas. I spend winter in the rio grande valley in Texas, where the winds can blow for several days. I've seen some toppers that have started to rip. Is this common? And how annoying can this be in the wind?

OttawaPaul

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawapaul View Post
... I spend winter in the rio grande valley in Texas, where the winds can blow for several days. I've seen some toppers that have started to rip. Is this common? And how annoying can this be in the wind?
We had a strong line of storms pass over our campground last month. We did not hear anything while inside, but ended up with this damage, no tearing: 2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH

I fixed it like this: 2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH

You may be different with steadier winds.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #26

For those that camp in snowy areas, the toppers then can get stretched due to snow. However there are inflatable wedges to put under them to keep the weight off. We camp year round and have only had about 2" of snow on them, and they are fine. Heavier amounts would be a problem. It's always amazing to me to start the slides in and watch all of the junk on top of them fall right off the front. Lots of stuff you don't see from the ground. They also help keep the tops of the slides drier as well. One thing I have noticed is that some of the factory installed toppers are a thinner material than some of the ones my dealer has put on. May just be the particular brand though. But I won't ever own one without them.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
One thing I have noticed is that some of the factory installed toppers are a thinner material than some of the ones my dealer has put on. May just be the particular brand though. But I won't ever own one without them.
Sabre Warranty manager told me my slide toppers were nicer than the ones they install at the factory. I had to do them as dealer-installed as they weren't offered as an option when I ordered my camper. (In fact, it was one of many recommendations that I sent to SabreSam as things they could/should think about offering that ended up becoming options for folks later.)
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #28

I also use the Works leaf blower on my slides. It is light weight and I use it for the mats also. In addition to using the leaf blower to get water and whatever else off the top of the slides, I just lift the front of the fifth wheel high to get water to run off. I have thought about the toppers and have seen a fifth wheel exactly like mine with them on. I liked how they looked on it. However, I have seen several campers where the water pooled on them and stretched them to where they sag. I guess it is just personal preference. Maybe something to consider is how long you plan on keeping your camper. We started out with tents, then on to pop up and then Travel trailer and now for the last four years we have had a fifth wheel. I have our camper just about to the way I want it mods wise. Can anyone offer any information on the slide toppers to address my concern about sagging and stretching from water pooling on them that would convince me to purchase them ?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Can anyone offer any information on the slide toppers to address my concern about sagging and stretching from water pooling on them that would convince me to purchase them ?
I've read that they can be adjusted so that they're tighter so that water doesn't pool. I believe that OldCoot has provided instructions in the past for how to do it. Seems pretty simple.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #30

Do you use them on your camper slideouts? I haven't looked at any posts by oldcoot. I'm asking for first hands actual knowledge. They are a lot of money and sagging and stretching is not positive. I have seen people pushing their slide toppers up with a broom to get the water drained off.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out