Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Are awnings over the slide outs worth the $

I see many RV's with awnings over the slide outs? What purpose does this serve? I realize it helps keep the weather off of the roof of the slide.....but aren't they designed to handle weather. Trying to justify if they would be worth the expense to install?????

Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

People fall into a few camps regarding awning toppers:

1) Never had and don't ever see a need
2) Have and will always have again
3) Have and won't have again (very rare)

The advantages are that the awning toppers keep pine needles, leaves, etc. off of the slide. They keep the camper cooler by keeping the sun from beating directly on the slide. They keep the rain off of the top of the slide - water runs off either immediately or to the sides when you bring the camper in. You get marginal protection when the slide is partially deployed. For bedroom slides, they keep the camper a little quieter in the rain when the slide is directly above your head.

The cons are that they're something else to go wrong; people have no issue climbing up to clear their slides before bringing them in; people just plain don't see the point.

More info here:
http://www.learntorv.com/2014/01/sli...efinitely.html

Personally, I'm strongly in camp #2 - have them now and will always have them in the future.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Keeping the weather off is one factor and the toppers help to keep water out in case of a storm. But they also keep leaves, pine cones and other things from the top of your slide which could impede the closing of the slide.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
I see many RV's with awnings over the slide outs? What purpose does this serve? I realize it helps keep the weather off of the roof of the slide.....but aren't they designed to handle weather. Trying to justify if they would be worth the expense to install?????
They are called toppers, It keeps the dirt out when you pull the slide in and you don't have to sweep them off when you close the slide, also helps with the sun and rain, wouldn't own a trailer without them anymore.........
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

I fall into the category of having them and won't be without them again. I love then.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Yep. Just to keep the stuff out of the camper when you close the slide out. That is the whole purpose.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

I'd probably fall into category 1 but I can see why others like them.

The unit we ordered has three slides and toppers would have cost $1,000
I like to check out the roof on a regular basis so taking a broom to the slide outs isn't a big deal for me.
If you keep the rig long enough your eventually going to be replacing the material.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

My new Rockwood 2703ws will have them. My older 2005 Sun valley did not. We cut a piece of carpet the depth of the one slide and attached a rope to both ends. Throw it over the slide and pull it back and forth to clean the top. Was told that the larger slides can absorb a lot of heat. Very little insulation at the top.

Ford F-150 5.0 3.55 super cab
New 2703ws came off line July 31st. Still waiting in Florida.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #9

Slide toppers were a must have when we bought our Crusader - had two fivers before without...never again!! Lot less debris and quieter too 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
People fall into a few camps regarding awning toppers:

1) Never had and don't ever see a need
2) Have and will always have again
3) Have and won't have again (very rare)

The advantages are that the awning toppers keep pine needles, leaves, etc. off of the slide. They keep the camper cooler by keeping the sun from beating directly on the slide. They keep the rain off of the top of the slide - water runs off either immediately or to the sides when you bring the camper in. You get marginal protection when the slide is partially deployed. For bedroom slides, they keep the camper a little quieter in the rain when the slide is directly above your head.

The cons are that they're something else to go wrong; people have no issue climbing up to clear their slides before bringing them in; people just plain don't see the point.

More info here:
Learn To RV: Slide Toppers (aka Awnings) - definitely!

Personally, I'm strongly in camp #2 - have them now and will always have them in the future.

I am in camp #2 as well, could not understand somebody in camp #3 until somebody on here mentioned that he camps on the beach semi-full time and the constant wind off the sea made them flap 24-7 and it drove him nuts. We have camped in some windy spring times and the flapping can be a bit annoying.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out