Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

As Req. 2nd curb side porch light.

As requested here are a few details on the 2nd porch light added to our Georgetown 378ts

I decided that it would be nice to have a 2nd curb side light to help light up the campsite at night so I set out to add one towards the back of the rig.

To do this I tapped into the existing porch light circuit at the switch inside the entry door. I chose 2 conductor wire for boat and RV use at my local hardware store which was 14gauge and enclosed inside a casing similar to the way Romex is made. The wire was routed to follow existing wiring over the furnace in that area and through the wiring chase that leads down the passenger side of the motorhome through the cupboard in the bathroom and to the back cupboard behind the load center located in the bedroom. Inside the bathroom cupboard there is a carpeted piece of plywood that covers the wires running through here. I gently pried out the cover to facilitate running the wire through the chase which is the wood box located next to the toilet in the 378. I removed the 6 screws that secure the breaker box/load center and gently pulled it out of it's opening. There is enough slack in the wires to be able to completely pull it out of it's space so that access can be gained to the dead space behind it. This is also the same routing I used to run the Romex for our inverter and tie it into the load center.

The wire was then run up through the top of this compartment following the plumbing for the washer/dryer into the closet and through a hole I drilled into the area behind the bedroom TV. I drilled through the wall from the outside 9" down from the bottom of the awning/gutter rail and about 40" forward of the rear cap molding. The wire was encased in wire loom where ever it was exposed in a cabinet and in the cupboard behind the TV it was secured to the wall using peal and stick wall anchors that used in conjunction with zip ties to hold the wire to the wall.

The light is a Starlights Inc. Smart Light motion sensing light. Using touch up paint supplied by FR and a spray gun I painted it to match the color of the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07442.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07443.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07444.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07445.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07446.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2148  

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

Thanks NWJeeper.....Planning to do the same mod in April. Your pics and info is very helpful. Thanks again. BetnDavRV2

Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Great job Jeeper, the Smart Lights are really great. Mine mounted in the Black area of the paint so a little Glossy Black Krylon Fusion Paint and it looked factory installed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Great job Jeeper, the Smart Lights are really great. Mine mounted in the Black area of the paint so a little Glossy Black Krylon Fusion Paint and it looked factory installed.
The one over our entry door is in the black area but they now have the lights available in black, so, no painting necessary for that one. The one on the other side was painted the same color as the one in the picture. Thankfully FR provided us with small bottles of touch up paint to match all the colors so I was able to put the correct one in the bottle of my touch up spray gun and spray the lights to match the motorhome. I love the Smart Lights, thanks for the tip on them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote