Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Audio System in 2015 Wildwood 27RKSS

As we all know, the stock audio on these things is crap. But, I can't seem to find anywhere on the Internet to buy upgraded audio systems for travel trailers. Any suggestions?
rcla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Hi:

My Wildwood had the stock Concertmate AM/FM/CD player that only worked when it felt like it. I only had the trailer a few months (I bought it used) when I had enough and replaced it with a Pioneer car audio receiver. The trailer is in storage now so I can't check but it was either the FH-X720BT or the FH-721BT which I purchased at Walmart. The original Concertmate was a vertical mounted radio while the Pioneer is a 2-DIN system (which means that it needs a mounting space twice as high as a regular car receiver). What a difference! The new radio works perfectly on either radio or CD. You can hook up a USB stick with hours of music on it, you can bluetooth your phone to it, the display is multi-coloured (and you can pick a style-colour of your choice), your phone can go hands-free with it, etc...
The only issue was that I had to manufacture a wooden plate to cover in the large hole in the cabinet and then mount the new radio in that plate. If you know anything about car stereos, it isn't hard to do. If may have a pic of the install If you're interested.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. If you have a pic, that would be great. I'm going to pull mine out and check the hole dimensions
Old 03-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

Here is a pic of the install. I plan on replacing the 1/8" plywood I used as a backing plate with a 3/4" oak panel stained to match the cabinetry.
The two larger round black buttons below the radio are switches I installed to control the radios functions. The one on the left has a small red light when turned on. This controls the 12 volt feed to the radio. When turned on, the radio is powered up much the same as when you put your key in the ignition and turn the car on. Conversely, I can turn it off when I am away from the trailer so it not left powered up for an extended period of time. The button on the right has a small blue light on when turned on. This is connected to the wire that would normally tap into your park lights, which controls the nighttime dimming function. When your headlights turn on in the evening, the dash lights (including your radio) dim accordingly. Since the trailer doesn't have this capability, I added this switch on a separate power lead so I can dim the radio display in the evening if I have the trailer lights turned down.
All trailer sound systems have an indoor, outdoor and indoor+outdoor speaker setting. The Pioneer, being an auto system, has the standard front and rear fader control. I connected the inside speakers to the front speaker wires and the outdoor speakers to the rear speaker wires. Using the fader control I can adjust all the speakers however I wish.
It is also a more powerful system than the original Concertmate so I changed the inside speakers to match and the sound is much better. I plan on changing the outdoor speakers this summer. Did I mention that it also has a wireless remote that controls almost all functions? Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	102807  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #5

I bought this one a couple years ago for a broken radio in my last htt.

Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo [AWM965] - $194.88 : RV Fun Products - Best Prices - Shipping Included all Items!, Leading online rv supplier offering a wide range of rv products and accessories

I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for my outside deck at home.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherock View Post
Here is a pic of the install. I plan on replacing the 1/8" plywood I used as a backing plate with a 3/4" oak panel stained to match the cabinetry.
Thanks for the pic. It helps a lot!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
I bought this one a couple years ago for a broken radio in my last htt.

Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo [AWM965] - $194.88 : RV Fun Products - Best Prices - Shipping Included all Items!, Leading online rv supplier offering a wide range of rv products and accessories

I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for my outside deck at home.
Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to get the next step up Jensen because it has bluetooth.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Pas

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Pas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood