Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

Auto-generator start for our dog?

We currently have on order a Forest River Forester MBS 2401S. We will on occasion have to leave our dog behind in the RV so I want to be sure the a/c kicks on. I've been trying to figure out what I will need to have the dealer install so the following will occur:

1. Not connected to shore power

I set the thermostat at 75 deg and if the temperature should rise this device should auto-start the generator and cool the coach. Once the temp hits that the gen will shut off automatically

2. Connected to shore power

Should the shore power fail, the generator will kick on and run the a/c. Once shore power returns, the system will automatically recognize that and turn of the generator.

I've been doing a lot of reading and the only thing I found was a discontinued part called the Onan Wireless Generator Auto‑Start EC‑30W.

Is this easy to install? The only one I found is over $600.

I'd like to get some thoughts on what other dog owners do when they have to leave their pets in the RV? I don't think we would ever be gone for more than 3 hours.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Team

The Onan Wireless Generator Auto‑Start EC‑30W is still available from several on line sources. It looks like the best bet since it is made by Onan. You might want to call Onan and see if they have a newer model coming out soon.

Just a caution here, you do not have a lot of A/C run time with the LP genset FR uses in the MBS line up. The 2016 MBS, and older, LP tank was only good for around 12-14 hours running the A/C. I believe FR increased the LP tank size a bit for 2017. You might want to investigate that further...
Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #3

I am interested in an auto gen start too. Will you let me know what you find out please? My Sunseeker 3170DS has a gas powered generator so LP is not an issue. I read that there are hard wired and wireless auto gen start units.
dnnmccrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Auto start

Awhile I was looking into this setup for our dog and this is what I found out. There are a few site that sells the Onan Wireless EC 30W. First I called my Onan dealer that I work with for our Emergency Gen for my Facility and talked to him about this. He had to do some homework on this too but this what he told me That Onan does not sell these anymore because they had have problems with it, But I said there are site that sells them he said that Onan does not warranty them he told me to go to a RV Dealer and see if they will warranty if they did the work and I have not followed up on that yet. If you find out different please post it. thanks
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
Awhile I was looking into this setup for our dog and this is what I found out. There are a few site that sells the Onan Wireless EC 30W. First I called my Onan dealer that I work with for our Emergency Gen for my Facility and talked to him about this. He had to do some homework on this too but this what he told me That Onan does not sell these anymore because they had have problems with it, But I said there are site that sells them he said that Onan does not warranty them he told me to go to a RV Dealer and see if they will warranty if they did the work and I have not followed up on that yet. If you find out different please post it. thanks
I called and talked to someone at Onan. Here's the scoop. The EC-30W was not discontinued due to any problems; the manufacturer of the remote unit went out of business and along with them the source code to run the hardware. Onan is warranting the units and has spare parts.

Onan is working on a replacement but has no timeframe on if or when that will happen. I'm looking into having the EC-30 hardwired into my coach. It's going to be more reliable than a remote unit. I will post back when I have more info.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Auto start

Thanks for the update. I will call my Onan dealer and see what the cost would be for the hard wire one and installation
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
Thanks for the update. I will call my Onan dealer and see what the cost would be for the hard wire one and installation
Getting EC-30 installed for $589.00 from FR dealer.

Tags
generator