Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

Auto-Transformers

Gonna hijack this a bit and make an observation about the campground we stayed at over the weekend.

When we got there in the afternoon I ALWAYS check voltage and grounds before I hook up my power, just in case I need to put the auto-transformer on. Well I had a solid 123 volts and remembered saying "wow, this is great!"

Well the next morning (most likely when everyone was making breakfast on their electric skillets and running coffee makers) it was 104. I dug out my auto-transformer and before I went out to hook it up, the voltage had recovered some to 110 and stayed steady; but I hooked it into the circuit anyway.

Lesson learned though.
That beauty will get hooked up now EVERY TIME.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #2

auto transformer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Gonna hijack this a bit and make an observation about the campground we stayed at over the weekend.
When we got there in the afternoon I ALWAYS check voltage and grounds before I hook up my power, just in case I need to put the auto-transformer on. Well I had a solid 123 volts and remembered saying "wow, this is great!" Well the next morning (most likely when everyone was making breakfast on their electric skillets and running coffee makers) it was 104. I dug out my auto-transformer and before I went out to hook it up, the voltage had recovered some to 110 and stayed steady; but I hooked it into the circuit anyway.Lesson learned though. That beauty will get hooked up now EVERY TIME.
\

Please explain what an auto-transformer is / does / where does one obtain one - what happens if you don't have one etc (what does it look like?)

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I started a new thread since there was interest.

I use a Frank's Autotransformer to stabilize and boost voltage (when needed) to keep the AC between 110 and 125 volts for the health of my camper's computer and compressor controlled appliances. The lower the voltage; the harder everything has to work and higher the current needed to do that work.

Consistent low voltage (brown outs) will destroy your air conditioner, Power Center; and computer equipment.

I use a Franks Booster (although there are others) because it is a two stage unit that provides two levels of boost depending on the actual voltage being delivered. I got mine on eBay.

It basically takes "current" and turns it into "voltage". That means when you are boosting low voltage, you can't pull as much current into the camper as the pedestal can deliver since the booster uses some.

Example 30 amps available but at low voltage (105 VAC). With boost, normal voltage (123 VAC) at 28 amps (say). This means if you use several high amp usage items (at the same time) you could blow the pedestal breaker before the camper's main. In fact there is a note not to use the water heater on VAC when also using the Air Conditioner since you can overload the Franks if you are on a 50 amp supply (with an adapter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	6480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	6481  
Attached Images

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #4

RV Surge Protector Comparison

gives you the full meal deal on what is out there for protable and in line.
I went with the Progressive Ind 30 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C
which after researching it gave me:

Features

**When you receive this progressive unit the remote display will be located inside the unit.
Features:
High low voltage protection: Whenever source power falls below 104 Volts, or rise above 132 volts the EMS automatically shut down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.
Time delay for A/C Compressor: Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS, due to a fault condition the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS; one is 136 seconds, and the other is 15 seconds. Consult you Air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in if so use the 15-second delay if not use the 136-second delay
3 Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-G, and N-G. Total Joule rating is 1820, response time of <1 nano second.
Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G The digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.
Reverse polarity protection: If source power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.
Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.
Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.
AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.
Accidental 220V protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and the appropriate error code.
Remote information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds
Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted power to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected to the EMS.
Bypass switch: This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.
Modular design Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
Microprocessor controlled: The computer, and remote display are driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS. Should ever this software be changed EMS, owners can receive a free upgrade processor with the return of the old.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Please remember that an autotransformer provides BOTH Surge protection AND voltage amplification.

The Franks unit provides 6,000 Joules of Surge Protection in addition to two stages of voltage boost, if needed, (8% and 16%).

A dedicated surge suppressor does not boost incoming low voltage; it just shuts it off to prevent damage.

Franks Autotransformers
for my review.

Adding http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_4999wt_987

will display incoming AC voltage and amps; a second one could display outgoing (to the power center) voltage and amps.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

Lou where did you get your autotransformer and cost range???
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Voltage Booster

Call Frank at the number on his web page for his current pricing.
Mention the Forum and he may give you a "Forum Discount."

Ask him any questions as he is a VERY knowledgeable individual (and jack leg inventor).

For the 50 amp users out there, the surge protection is 6,000 joules on EACH LEG for a total of 12,000 Joules of protection.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW