Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch - Pure Sine Wave Inverter Installation Idea

Recently have added a 2nd battery in a second vented box, a pure sine wave inverter and a TS-30 automatic transfer switch to the 5th wheel.

Decided to go the automatic transfer switch route as opposed to a manual transfer switch as described in a previous post.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-18389.html

Looked at a number of websites but no one suggested a solution so the battery charger in the installed coach converter does not charge the battery when the inverter is supplying 120 VAC to the rig. Pondered for a bit and decided to install a solid state relay. The small relay mounts very well in the TS-30 automatic transfer switch case. The relay I picked is small, requires very little power.

Opto 22 120A25 AC Control Solid State Relay

See Opto 22 120A25 AC Control Solid State Relay, 120 VAC, 25 Amp, 4000 V Optical Isolation, 1/2 Cycle Maximum Turn-On/Off Time, 25 - 65 Hz Operating Frequency: Electronic Relays: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Mount the relay inside the TS-30 and connect the coil side of the relay to the shore power side. The relay will then be energized and a set of its contacts will be closed when on shore power. Run some ROMEX from the relay contacts to the installed converter. Find the circuit breaker that feeds the converter. Rewire so the load side of the circuit breaker runs to the new relay contact, with the other side of the relay contact feeding the converter.

The battery charger will then ONLY be enabled when shore power is present.

Then, of course, wire the TS-30 to the pure sine wave inverter, the MAIN circuit breaker and the original MAIN circuit breaker feed.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySantic View Post
Recently have added a 2nd battery in a second vented box, a pure sine wave inverter and a TS-30 automatic transfer switch to the 5th wheel.

Decided to go the automatic transfer switch route as opposed to a manual transfer switch as described in a previous post.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-18389.html

Looked at a number of websites but no one suggested a solution so the battery charger in the installed coach converter does not charge the battery when the inverter is supplying 120 VAC to the rig. Pondered for a bit and decided to install a solid state relay. The small relay mounts very well in the TS-30 automatic transfer switch case. The relay I picked is small, requires very little power.

Opto 22 120A25 AC Control Solid State Relay

See Opto 22 120A25 AC Control Solid State Relay, 120 VAC, 25 Amp, 4000 V Optical Isolation, 1/2 Cycle Maximum Turn-On/Off Time, 25 - 65 Hz Operating Frequency: Electronic Relays: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Mount the relay inside the TS-30 and connect the coil side of the relay to the shore power side. The relay will then be energized and a set of its contacts will be closed when on shore power. Run some ROMEX from the relay contacts to the installed converter. Find the circuit breaker that feeds the converter. Rewire so the load side of the circuit breaker runs to the new relay contact, with the other side of the relay contact feeding the converter.

The battery charger will then ONLY be enabled when shore power is present.

Then, of course, wire the TS-30 to the pure sine wave inverter, the MAIN circuit breaker and the original MAIN circuit breaker feed.
Usually you wire it into the circuit panel where you pick and choose which circuits it powers. You don't hook in the charge circuit. Mine powers everything but the A/C units and charger. But if you have electric heat, electric water heater, stuff like that you probably wouldn't want it wired in either.
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Your suggestion is a good one, but solving it would be much more complex. Would require another main breaker that feeds the ones you mention (the ones you specifically want the inverter to feed). Really did not want to install a sub-panel with the new main breaker.

But wanted an automatic transfer switch and not a manual transfer switch.

The inverter I chose will power everything with the exception of the A/C, including the microwave. Just have to remember not to use the A/C when on the inverter. If it unexpectedly kicks in, the inverter will detect it and go into overload.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

True definitely more complex, although I love the setup. We have 4 huge 24v solar panels on our roof, with 4 of the biggest 12v batteries I have ever seen in my life. So glad that we got ours wired in that way. We can charge our batteries in full shade, so I am loving our new setup.
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, transfer switch