Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Awning Lights Made Easy, Untangling the Mess

Hello,

After trying to carry a few awning lights around, I got tired of the hassle of untangling the wires, and connecting the lights by all the little clips every time we set up. This also became a problem in case you have you to get your awning down in a hurry for a thunderstorm.

Here is the solution I came up with to make things go a little easier and faster when needed:

Start be setting up your awning, leaving it low enough to attach the awning light holders, I use these:

Next bent some some brazing wire in to "S" hooks, about 5 inches long:

Then did some math. I have a 16 foot awning, so needed 15 feet or so of lightweight tubing. I used EMT, (metal) conduit used to run house wiring in. It is metal, so easy to paint, rigid, yet light weight. I bought 2, 10 foot pieces for less than $5.00. Then I cut them in half. I only needed 15 feet, so three of the pieces is what I used. I drilled a hole in each end, and inserted a 3/16 inch, 3 inch long "eye" bolt, securing with a nut on the inside of the tubing, using "loc-tite" so it wouldn't come off.

Then I "zip tied" 5 of our lights to one piece of conduit, and 5 to the other. Since my light string is only 10 feet long, I bought another set and used 6 lights from it, cutting the wires and insulating the ends properly.
That gives me 16 lights in 16 feet of awning.

Start by hanging the awning hangers, then the brass hooks, then hang the lights by the middle first. The swing the other ends and hook them in to place, making adjustments as needed. Plug them in and enjoy a grilled burger as DW is doing. Hope this helps some, it did us. The pics are us in the yard, and not camping, but we will be soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	6451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6452  

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Awesome I got an ocean front campsite Ocean Lakes (myrtle beach) next week and I have been trying to find a solution for this. I have the electric awning which I keep hearing "dont not tie down". I was not looking forward to taking the lights up and down every time a storm came or the ocean breeze picked up.

I will be heading to Lowes this week!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

Great idea. I will have to do some changes to you deal as we don't have place to store 9' long items out of site so perhaps 4 1/2 ft sections for our 18' awning.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

We have an electric awning and I'm wondering how on earth I'll get lights on there. Don't want to have to carry around a ladder Nice Idea though
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ
We have an electric awning and I'm wondering how on earth I'll get lights on there. Don't want to have to carry around a ladder Nice Idea though
You possibly will have black knobs in the middle of your awning arms. You can pull the arms down (like dumping the water off) and tighten the knobs to hold the extended section lower. That is what I do
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #6

Thanks! We've only been RV'ing for about 1yr and our first RV was a small 16footer with the manual awning. This new RIG is our first with Auto Awning. I did notice the knobs and now remember we can lower it. Thanks for the reminder.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

Do you leave the hangers (pic #1) in the awning slot when you retract the awning? Very neat solution!
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I personally do not leave the hangers in the slot when I retract the awning. The directions that came with theses said you could, and I might in a wind storm, if I had to get the awning down in a hurry. I also don't have them all on one piece of conduit. I have them on three, 4 foot sections of conduit. Two pieces of conduit hold one 10 foot strand of lights. I showed a pic of hanging these, starting in the middle. The other 4 foot section of conduit, holds 6 lights, ct from another strand, with the wires end properly insulated. I just plug the two strands together when they are all up. As for storing, I have 3, 4 foot long pieces of conduit with the lights attached to store. Sorry for any confusion.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Thanks makes sense now, The pieces looked alot longer than 4ft and I was thinking Geeze must be storing those in the garage.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning