Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
Happy Camper
 
dfrauhiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20
Would a strap hooked from the awning down to a metal screw in tiedown do the same thing without the pole?
__________________

__________________
Dave
2012 Ford F-150 Eco Boost
2011 Rockwood Roo 21SS

2012 Days Camped - 24 (2,300 miles, 8 campgrounds)
2011 Days Camped - 12
dfrauhiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrauhiger View Post
Would a strap hooked from the awning down to a metal screw in tiedown do the same thing without the pole?
No !
It will pull your awning down as if you had it set for water run off.
Then your door will most likely not open.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

No !
It will pull your awning down as if you had it set for water run off.
Then your door will most likely not open.
And if you pull to hard, you will break something.. NEED the down poles and brackets to attach them with.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
golfmedik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auburn, GA
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
And if you pull to hard, you will break something.. NEED the down poles and brackets to attach them with.
Last year at Myrtle Beach in an afternoon storm, I saw 6 campers with power awnings that had damage to them by pulling off the side supports. That is why I started looking into the solution and saw OC's pvc posts. And yes, I should've bought the aluminum ones that he was making.
__________________
2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ weighing @ 15k, Onan, 2nd air, slide toppers, TST
2013 F350 6.7L Lariat 4x4 CC DRW,Viair 1007, Ride-Rites, Edge CTS, B&W
2001 Chevy 3500CC DRW 4x4, 8.1L, 4.10 gears w/ Detroit TrueTrac
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
GASPEDDLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
South Padre Island Texas July 2013.


__________________

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
HemiCab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
I went and bought the supplies to make the support arms but I have a couple of questions. What size reducer did you use to make the saddle? I found a 2" to 3". What size pin did you use to hold the pipes together? I found a round clip pin with a usable length of 1 3/4" and a square clip pin with a usable length of 3". The DW wanted them painted black so do you think the paint will even stay on the PVC? Couldn't find the Fusion paint but found Rust-Oleum painters touch 2X ultra cover, says it also bonds to plastic. HC
__________________
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4
2014 Cherokee 284BH
Equalizer 1,200/12,000 WDH
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCab View Post
I went and bought the supplies to make the support arms but I have a couple of questions. What size reducer did you use to make the saddle? I found a 2" to 3". What size pin did you use to hold the pipes together? I found a round clip pin with a usable length of 1 3/4" and a square clip pin with a usable length of 3". The DW wanted them painted black so do you think the paint will even stay on the PVC? Couldn't find the Fusion paint but found Rust-Oleum painters touch 2X ultra cover, says it also bonds to plastic. HC
It will bond to plastic just takes I think like 7 days to cure fully.

1/4 pin to hold two pieces together.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
HemiCab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Turbs appreciate the info. What length of pin...I want to say to the O.D. of the 2" PVC pipe is 2 3/8 but I couldn't find a pin with that stated usable length, could only find 1 3/4 or the larger 3". May just need to go with a bolt and wing nut combination, author the pin would be easier to keep up with. Any idea of where I could find a 2 1/2 usable length pin? HC
__________________
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4
2014 Cherokee 284BH
Equalizer 1,200/12,000 WDH
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCab View Post
Turbs appreciate the info. What length of pin...I want to say to the O.D. of the 2" PVC pipe is 2 3/8 but I couldn't find a pin with that stated usable length, could only find 1 3/4 or the larger 3". May just need to go with a bolt and wing nut combination, author the pin would be easier to keep up with. Any idea of where I could find a 2 1/2 usable length pin? HC
Farm supply store.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
HemiCab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Thanks turbs

After looking at the pictures it looks like the reducer (for awning tube) is half a 3" or 4" T with a 2" outlet?? HC
__________________

__________________
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4
2014 Cherokee 284BH
Equalizer 1,200/12,000 WDH
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.