Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Awning replacement ?'s

I will shortly be replacing the awning fabric and adding a slide cover awning to my Rockwood 26 foot (8242SS) 5'er.

I have been considering adding the segmented alum/plastic cover to completely cover the fabric when in the stowed position.
The ones I have seen look to mount in the fabric holder rail on the trailer, extend out about 7 inches and accept the fabric and rod. When stowed, the awning fabric is completely enclosed.

Seems like a very good way to protect the awning fabric from wind, rain and UV when stowed. Barring crazy mold growth, life of the fabric should be much improved.

That's the pros, Are the any cons I should know about? How about a good source?

Thanks, Paul in Floriduh
shooter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

bumpity bump bump.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Mr SUN shows "No Mercy" on the Plastic parts as well as the Fabric! The segment parts add to the Cleaning also! Youroo!!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

I bought a slide awning for my Georgetown! Came from shade pro awning in elcajon California! Great price! About 1/3 of what they wanted in Florida! Shipped right to my campsite in Davenport Florida! The minute it arrived I had lots of help to install it! Looks great!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's.

How does the Shade pro protect the awning material? Is there a heavier fabric "waster piece" for the first foot or so off the side wall?

The main (color print) fabric of my awning is still in useable condition. I'm wondering if a good canvas shop could sew on a new, heavier piece, to wrap and protect the main awning. As usual, only the exposed portion of the awning is worn/torn. do I have to replace all of it?

No, I'm not cheap, but I will cop to frugal...

Thanks, Paul in Venice
Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

I think you will find that the awning is very stiff from years in the sun and weather! Usually not reparable! I think you can buy different qualities of the material and a few different colors! The standard width is 47” all they need to know is the length! Mine was 14’ and cost $107 which included shipping from California to Florida! About a 2 hour job to get it changed!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Look on eBay! Search rv awnings! You will get many choices! Good luck! I am very happy with mine!

Tags
replacement, awning