Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Axle Flip on Stealth 2714

I've hit my generator exhaust pipe for the last time on the ground going over rough stuff. I don't want to damage my 2012 Stealth SA2714 or the genny, so the axle flip seems like the most bang for the buck. I've seen a post our two about this, but seen no mention of shock mount issues. I can't imagine just removing the shocks! Any advice?

I'm assuming that my trailer has 3 inch axles. I'm looking at the Dexter kit which includes spacers for spring pad alignment. Any thought our experience regarding this would be appreciated.
Dualsportist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

There are several detailed writeups with pictures on rv.net. Wager there are a few here too. Did mine on my old trailer several years ago and it was one of the best investments.

The dexter kit is awesome and has great instructions. The "spacers" are bolts that are attached to the new spring pads and are adjusted against the old spring pads. I used c clamps to hold everything together while making easy adjustments. Do you have access to a mig welder? That allows you to tack the new spring supports in place. Can be done without, but it makes it more difficult keeping everything in alignment. Make sure you gather all tools and parts before starting. Have plenty of support for the frame. I raided several garage sales and found several sets of Jack stands cheap. Used old 6x6 posts on stacked concrete blocks as well. In all I had solid support along the frame every 5-6 feet. Beware of any wire harnesses or gas lines under the frame that could get pinched.

Since you have the whole trailer up and both axles off, think about replacing/rebuilding the bushings. Went with a wet bolt kit and went from that squeaky trailer in the park to smooooooth and silent. If you go that route, a impact wrench makes disassembly extremely fast. Keep the old bolts as they will help to gently install the new bushings in the spring eyes. Also taped off the data stickers and gave both axles a new paint job to protect from rust. In all a full weekend job.

The lift kit solved the dragging bumper, leveled out the trailer with my tall truck (stinger was at its lowest setting), and bought me more room in the wheel well for the next load range sized tire. Saw no adverse affects in drag or handling.

Can add more detail if you want, but I am probably boring everyone to death.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

Thank you Sc00ter for the great write up! I have a Lincoln 140 mig, which I'll tack with. I don't think it will get the penetration I'd want for fully welding the spring pads, so that's where the advantage of the Dexter kit with spacers comes in. I plan to pick up a couple dozen concrete blocks and go that route too.

So do I reuse my current spring pads for the shock mount?

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Nope, the dexter kit came with new u bolts, nuts, and spring perches. Nothing other than the axles and springs were reused (I replaced the bushings and bolts too).

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445213034.635665.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  45.0 KB

This is what came with the dexter kit.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Guess I should totally read before posting, not sure how shocks would mount to this. I presume they are somehow attached to the u bolts, so yes they would be reused. The dexter kit does not come with shock mounts.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

Thanks again Sc00ter. I read somewhere that someone reused the original spring plates to remount the shocks. Something like flip them to different locations since they are literally upsidedown. I can't find the post again but worse case scenario I'll take my plates down and have a welder weld shock mounts, and if I have to do that I'll just have the perches welded as well.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

No problem, glad to help. If you have any questions pm me. Post again after you are done with pics!

Tags
axle