Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Backpack Rack & Spare Tire?

I have a Wildwood X-Lite 281QB with the Back-Pack Rack. The spare tire is mounted to the rack. So when towing with the rack in the down position you have the spare tire dangling in mid-air about 2ft past the rear bumper.

I like the rack but I am not comfortable with the spare setup. Anyone have any ideas on a alternate location for the space? The front hatch doors are not large enough and the tongue has no room with the battery, propane and jack.

Thanks in advance.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They make a holder that mounts the tire under the tongue.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

If I have my bikes on my rack on my Grey Wolf 26RL, I put the spare in the TV. I put it near the cab so I will not have to worry about getting it out if I have a flat (, Right) but it does free up a lot of room in my TV by not having my bikes in, under the topper.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

I have the 2013 171EXL which also has the spare on the rack. I don't know why they did that. I knew it wasn't a good idea and sure enough after the first two trips it apparently had been scraping the ground. I saw scuffs on the tire cover from where it had been hitting the ground. I am also researching alternative placement. The first thing I thought of was scooting the tire lower on the rack so it doesn't stick out as far but had trouble getting the one nut off. You may want to check your spares for ease of removal. I had a heck of a time getting the spare off because the one bolt was turning in place(the one on the right side). I have to solve this before putting it back on. Previous years model had it on a rack under the frame between the axle & step but this doesn't seem to be an option because I believe the hardware was welded in place.
tkerins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Mine is mounted under the trailer between the tongue and the steps.
2012 Wildwood 26BH XLite
20 Nights campled in 2011.
25 Nights Planned for 2012!
pandkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

I have wildwood 28BH xtralite, same TT but 2011. Mine is under trailer next to front steps.
Tincup13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup13
I have wildwood 28BH xtralite, same TT but 2011. Mine is under trailer next to front steps.
I misread your TT # Mine is almost the same trailer.
Tincup13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerins View Post
I have the 2013 171EXL which also has the spare on the rack. I don't know why they did that. I knew it wasn't a good idea and sure enough after the first two trips it apparently had been scraping the ground. I saw scuffs on the tire cover from where it had been hitting the ground. I am also researching alternative placement. The first thing I thought of was scooting the tire lower on the rack so it doesn't stick out as far but had trouble getting the one nut off. You may want to check your spares for ease of removal. I had a heck of a time getting the spare off because the one bolt was turning in place(the one on the right side). I have to solve this before putting it back on. Previous years model had it on a rack under the frame between the axle & step but this doesn't seem to be an option because I believe the hardware was welded in place.
I agree a real bad design, you have that extra 50 or so pounds just hanging out there bouncing around. Another problem we found when loading up in the rain is the cover just collects water. More unnecessary weight just hanging out there. Looking around for other options, but not finding much. I like f1100turbo's suggestion, but no luck on that holder either.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #9

Where did you get the holder from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
They make a holder that mounts the tire under the tongue.
Is this holder for the spare tire an aftermarket or is it offered from Forest River? I am really interested in getting something like that. Since I have a back pack rack as well.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote