Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Backup Camera Mod for 5th wheel truck

I just recently purchased a new Ford F-250 which came with a backup camera. Well I had to remove the tailgate and install my 5th wheel V tailgate.

I thought it would be neat to have a camera that when backing up see the hitch alignment and would show in the backup mirror.

I puchased a miniture camera and tapped into the power and video circuit at the rear of the truck and installed the camera in my cargo box lid.
Simple wiring and in a few hours I had it done.

Here are the pictures.
This is the camera I purchased. LINK

If you want more info just ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera_location2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera_location.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Plug.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	5078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5079  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
That is well done. I may need one of those once I get a 5th wheel since I got a Mega Cab!!! Thanks for idea.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
That is well done. I may need one of those once I get a 5th wheel since I got a Mega Cab!!! Thanks for idea.
The only thing I may redo is the wiring. I need to purchase 2 pair stranded wire. I just used some solid bell wire for both the video and power. Works great but I know I can do a better install with the single 2 pair cable.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
I used coax cable.. It worked well. Another open is to purchase the factory cable going to the camera. Cut that up and attach your camera to that. So you didn't have to tap into the good factory cable(monitor side).

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

i thought you were going to install it in your 3rd brake light.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
i thought you were going to install it in your 3rd brake light.
You were right. That is what I was going to do but after I hooked (temp)it up I saw how it saw everything and decided to stay much lower by using my storage box. It was a much easier install and I didn't damage my 1 day old truck. I may reconsider later but now it is working great in seeing the 5th wheel hitch in the mirror.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #7

Great idea. Why weren't you able to use the OEM camera?
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #8

i did something similar today. i purchased a camera and put it in the center of my bed cover storage box. ran the wires along with wires from a camera mounted to the back of the trailer inside the channel in the bottom of the door frame area to the front of the truck.
i was installing it as a side view camera but it swivels so i thought of the same thing ur doing. i still haven't run power to it so don't know how well it is going to work. i'm afraid vibration is going to make it unusable.
the rear view (on the trailer) is operational so i will see how well it works tomorrow (we are going to Natchez trace parkway campground in southern Tenn tomorrow. if the other camera stays up there, i will look at getting power to it when i get back...cable is run need to reduce bat voltage and tie it in. figure 2 diodes will drop voltage to abt 9v).
bought the camera on the truck from harbor freight for $30.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side view cam.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	6586   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view cam.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	6587  
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Great idea. Why weren't you able to use the OEM camera?
No I left the OEM camera in the tailgate and bought the camera online
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i did something similar today. i purchased a camera and put it in the center of my bed cover storage box. ran the wires along with wires from a camera mounted to the back of the trailer inside the channel in the bottom of the door frame area to the front of the truck.
i was installing it as a side view camera but it swivels so i thought of the same thing ur doing. i still haven't run power to it so don't know how well it is going to work. i'm afraid vibration is going to make it unusable.
the rear view (on the trailer) is operational so i will see how well it works tomorrow (we are going to Natchez trace parkway campground in southern Tenn tomorrow. if the other camera stays up there, i will look at getting power to it when i get back...cable is run need to reduce bat voltage and tie it in. figure 2 diodes will drop voltage to abt 9v).
bought the camera on the truck from harbor freight for $30.

Nice ideas. This forum has plenty of great ideas and suggestions.
Iggy
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #11

the camera mounted on the bed cover back wasn't such a great idea; too heavy and tends to rotate. i will try and brace it and make it work when i get back.
used the rear view camera on the way to this campground. as a rear view while driving, i couldn't really make a car out until it was abt a city block away. the mirrors actually worked best for that.
i could see those that like to ride right behind though.
when backing into the camp site, i could see well behind but i still need to get use to it.

Iggy, if i had seen ur post just a few hours earlier, i would have done the same...i had the camera. thought urs was a great use of one. still haven't ruled it out.
had seen a side view camera, that was in one of the side clearance lights on the trailer on another web site. it was somewhat pricey and i thought one on the trailer would be a little far back.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #12

This is the camera I found that works with the rear view mirror on my new Ford truck. $20.99

Camera Link
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

How do you toggle between both cameras? Do you have an A/B switch?
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #14

Great mod and idea.

I wonder if anyone here has the knowledge or "Tech" skills to figure out how to mount a camera on the rear of a trailer...this might build my wife's confidence in backing/manuvering the trailer..
Hidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
How do you toggle between both cameras? Do you have an A/B switch?
I do not toggle as I only have one camera mounted in my cargo box lid.
My tailgate has been removed and I installed a V shape 5th wheel tailgate.

If you need to have both cameras it is just a little switch that can be added. If you are unsure I would find someone that may have the skills and knowledge to do this.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
PatLor

Both cameras?

My sister just got a new F150 with the back-up camera in the rear view mirror. Can you switch between the two cameras?
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidaho View Post
Great mod and idea.

I wonder if anyone here has the knowledge or "Tech" skills to figure out how to mount a camera on the rear of a trailer...this might build my wife's confidence in backing/manuvering the trailer..
what would u like to know? it wasn't difficult at all. used existing "factory" hole to get it into the cab of the vehicle. then ran thru a channel under the door to the front.
the end cap bakes the difference in how easy it will be: one like mine that is fiberglass filled is easy; the foam filled would not be as easy. on the trailer, my wires are hidden (except a few feet to the hitch; will pull the panel and and hide that one this fall or winter). on the truck, there is a wire with a connector laying in the bed.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #18

I recently installed a wifi camera at the house. Now I can view the camera over the Internet to my smart phone, any time any place I have a data signal. It sends an email with pictures when motion is detected.

So, I got to thinking, how about ordering an outdoor camera, mounting it to the rear of the trailer and have a backup/surveillance camera for $100. Wireless right to my smart phone. So I tried it on the indoor camera and it works! I have to order the outdoor version and see how it works.
It will also double as a security camera at night. It has infrared lights.
More on this when the camera arrives.

I picked up this indoor for about $85..... gives a little piece of mind when away from home and I can see the front door and living area. I can remotely turn the camera and also hear what is going on.... all from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-08-22_19-48-02_614.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7554   Click image for larger version

Name:	000DC5D30C4A(Anonymous)_m20110820152457.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	7555  
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve38 View Post
I recently installed a wifi camera at the house. Now I can view the camera over the Internet to my smart phone, any time any place I have a data signal. It sends an email with pictures when motion is detected.

So, I got to thinking, how about ordering an outdoor camera, mounting it to the rear of the trailer and have a backup/surveillance camera for $100. Wireless right to my smart phone. So I tried it on the indoor camera and it works! I have to order the outdoor version and see how it works.

I picked up this indoor for about $85..... gives a little piece of mind when away from home and I can see the front door and living area. I can remotely turn the camera and also hear what is going on.... all from my phone.
O.K. I'm interested, for the home and 5'er. How do you link it to your phone? I have a BB.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve38 View Post

I get how this works at home: you have a wireless network for the camera to "connect" to and an open port on your DSL/Cable modem router/gizmo for remote connection and viewing. However for this to work on the "road", ie. while you are backing up @ CG, you will also need a network for the camera to connect to. So unless you bring along a wireless router or NAP, I fail to see how this would work.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm also interested in this as it can be a very simple solution, but again I'm somehow unsure as to how it would work.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel