Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 AM   #1
Retired Old Fart

Backup/full time rear view camera question

Our 2015 Freedom Express 246RKS is not pre-wired for a backup camera. However I have this nice large rear kitchen window in the back of the trailer. Any reason I could not use something like the Garmin BC-30 rear view camera that interfaces with their newer GPS units and accomplish 2 things.

1. it has a very small camera and I could route the wiring from power in the upper cabinet and place the camera at the top edge of the back window. The BC-30 has a 140 degree horizontal viewing angle so coverage would be excellent. Camera is inside and well protected (and very very small). Probably not even be visible inside, behind the top of the window blind/shade.

2. using the existing GPS display would mean one less display on the dash and one less thing to plug in the tow vehicle and one less cord to get tangled up in while traveling and passing stuff around the truck cabin.

Costs - BC-90 around $150 (already have compatible GPS for display). Other wireless systems can be much less and much more. Garmin is a known quality brand with good customer service vs a likely China import.

Has anyone done something like this?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Our 2015 Freedom Express 246RKS is not pre-wired for a backup camera. However I have this nice large rear kitchen window in the back of the trailer. Any reason I could not use something like the Garmin BC-30 rear view camera that interfaces with their newer GPS units and accomplish 2 things.

1. it has a very small camera and I could route the wiring from power in the upper cabinet and place the camera at the top edge of the back window. The BC-30 has a 140 degree horizontal viewing angle so coverage would be excellent. Camera is inside and well protected (and very very small). Probably not even be visible inside, behind the top of the window blind/shade.

2. using the existing GPS display would mean one less display on the dash and one less thing to plug in the tow vehicle and one less cord to get tangled up in while traveling and passing stuff around the truck cabin.

Costs - BC-90 around $150 (already have compatible GPS for display). Other wireless systems can be much less and much more. Garmin is a known quality brand with good customer service vs a likely China import.

I have wondered the same thing my only concern is will the garmin camera shuhot a signal 30 something feet away and still have a good pic
kyboatshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

I'm halfway down this road myself having just wired up a BC-30 into the tailgate on my Sierra. Now looking at doing the same on the TT.

Outside of the usual where to mount and where to get power from, I suspect we'll both wind up chasing the Camera Extension Cable kit. It's a 50' extension cable that gets the transmitter closer to the GPS head unit.

Nice thing is, depending on the specific Garmin unit, it can support up to 4 cameras. However, as it is wireless, the signal isn't quite in 'real time.' Not super noticeable when just scanning behind a vehicle. But definitely noticeable when using the camera to get on the ball. The tongue inches along, and then all of a sudden it's 'there.' Got used to it fairly quickly though.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #4

If the camera has “night vision” you’ll have to disable it. The night stuff is done via infrared. With the camera mounted close to the glass the infrared reflects directly back to the lens causing the entire view to be whited out. I disabled the IR on my inside mounted camera and can see stuff illuminated by the headlights behind me. That’s not a whole lot different than the display with IR on an outside mounted camera, but the camera has 1920p resolution vs the 640p on the Germin camera.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

I added the Garmin BC80. I attached it to the backup wiring so it comes on when I go in reverse. Our camper is 25 feet long and there are no problems in seeing the pic.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

... has 1920p resolution vs the 640p on the Germin camera....

What HD camera are you using? I am very disappointed in the performance of my Furrion Observation camera and are looking to upgrade. I've been looking at WiFi/IP HD cameras but is not easy to tell which ones will work standalone as opposed to those that require a 'cloud' connection to operate.
jjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkd View Post
... has 1920p resolution vs the 640p on the Germin camera....

What HD camera are you using? I am very disappointed in the performance of my Furrion Observation camera and are looking to upgrade. I've been looking at WiFi/IP HD cameras but is not easy to tell which ones will work standalone as opposed to those that require a 'cloud' connection to operate.
TriVision 1920x1080 resolution. Pure Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable. Runs on 12 volts. Built in record to SD card. You’ll need to install a small router...I use Netgear because they are 12 volt. Camera auto connects to router then iPhone, iPad or other device connects to the router. Beautiful display via MobiLincCam app. No internet connection required.

https://www.amazon.com/TriVision-HD-...x+camera&psc=1

I replaced my useless rear view mirror with an iPad.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Forgot to upload pix of the system. Here’s how the camera is mounted via Velcro on the nightstand at the rear bedroom.

And here’s the router hidden on a cabinet wall just behind the pax seat. In the previous trailer it was hidden inside an overhead cabinet in the front.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
If the camera has “night vision” you’ll have to disable it. The night stuff is done via infrared. With the camera mounted close to the glass the infrared reflects directly back to the lens causing the entire view to be whited out. I disabled the IR on my inside mounted camera and can see stuff illuminated by the headlights behind me. That’s not a whole lot different than the display with IR on an outside mounted camera, but the camera has 1920p resolution vs the 640p on the Germin camera.
Not to ambush this post but how do disable the IR. My backup camera on Sunseeker is useless at night because of reflections. Adding another read floodlight did not help.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Not to ambush this post but how do disable the IR. My backup camera on Sunseeker is useless at night because of reflections. Adding another read floodlight did not help.
Not sure..don’t know which camera you have. Might be in the manual f you got one. Mine has probably 30-40 different settings accessible via Safari.